POLL OF AGES!

CalNieDaGtarGuy

What do you want to see updated MOST of all in the course of the year?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please vote accordingly and make sure to write explaining your choices and why. I would like to see lots of lengthy comments if possible, as detailed and descriptive as you can make it. (I really need something to bide my time over these next 18 days...)

Make sure to add any SENSIBLE suggestions you have, and make me even more excited to be a part of this amazing community and love this game even more than I already do!

Nice Poll :) 

I'm very happy with the game's overall aesthetics although the AI could be improved (e.g. wolf behaviour). As for additional animals you may want to revise your list. I'm not sure every animal you listed is actually found on the West coast. In general, I'd prefer seeing more background animals (e.g. small birds, mice, etc) that you don't necessarily interact with plus some additional hunting animals (e.g. grouse or ptarmigan)  

Nada simply means nothing, or nothing new.

I'd like to see the porcupine, some seals and the ability to make fishing holes inside a snow shelter on the ice. Polar bears would make a neat addition and a new king of the predator castle. They would scare off black bears and grizzlies. Grizzlies scare off black bears. Polar bears would feed on seals so perhaps there is a way to steal food from a polar bear albiet with some risk, perhaps of rabies.

Rabies should be a risk from harvesting wolves or deer carcasses killed by wolves. You have to wash carefully to mitigate the risk of rabies contamination using hot water and perhaps soap. Soap could be made of fat and lye.

The owl would be nice, not as a food item, but as a cool creature that would hang about but leave if a bear or a wolf was nearby, as a type of early warning system. The owl would add nice ambiance. Perhaps a snowy owl to fit with the Northern theme.

Squirrels and chipmunks would be great; perhaps they could be snared with a dead fall trap or with a wire loop set on a stick leaned against a tree.

Beaver can be eaten as well as porcupines. The porcupine can pose a special hazard; how would you harvest it? That could be a mini-challenge.

Cougars add a new threat and would silently stalk you. Stay away from the cliffs as they will leap on you from above with very little warning.

As for other foods (not animals) we could have spruce bark tea, spruce needle tea for vitamin C to cure a new affliction, scurvy and to improve your mood and morale. It would be the equivalent of herbal tea and give an improved rest and healing bonus.

Seals would need to be hunted patiently with a harpoon made using some type of bone or antler tip and cordage. Seals also present a hazard as they draw in bears, especially the polar bear.

Seals might also compete for fish and might even steal fish from your fishing line. You could bait them with fish or wait at their blow holes.

Porcupine quills could be useful for needles for sewing and for decoration of your clothing. It would be good to make beads from sea shells, if we could harvest clams and oysters and mussels. With enough beads, you could decorate your parka, pants and boots. Such decorations could improve your morale and impart special hunting qualities such as silent stalking or calling animals. It would be nice if there were a slightly mystical relationship possible with animals; perhaps a way of communing with them on the advanced skill levels. Summoning them would be neat!

Seals skins would make mukluk boots which would be far superior for repelling water and staying dry. They would be very light weight but have superior warmth. The same for the special furs such as wolverine trim for your parka to ward off the cold. Special mitts would be very nice and keep you dry and comfortable. The Arctic animals would make far superior clothing. You could gather owl feathers or eagle feathers if you could find their dens or nests. These feathers would make your arrows fly straighter and farther.

Obsidian points for arrows would be very sharp yet more fragile. You would need sinew to haft it and perhaps tar made from birch bark.

Beavers would provide castor oil; far superior for keeping your weapons in top condition. Less condition loss and would prevent rust. It might also work to mask your man scent from deer, wolves, bears and other predators and prey. Trapping or catching beavers would require a new mini-game and present new hazards such as wet clothing or hypothermia if you fall in the water.

Some of these new animals and plants could be added during a subsequent release, perhaps in Spring season. Spring and summer should be times of harvesting and preparing food for the long winter when game becomes very scarce. Pemmican would be made from fat, meat and berries and prevent scurvy and other afflictions.

Fish could help prevent vitamin D deficiency which causes weak bones and loss of teeth. Long term survival would be hazarded by new vitamin deficiency afflictions.

Hello, for me it would be great if it was possible to build the house in the game itself), and then live in other people's houses as it is not comfortable), yet you are afraid that the owners will come and expel the frost), and more animals need to be) , And once there is no possibility of Hydroelectric Power Station being repaired, then accelerate the appearance of Seasons). Thank you.

#1. Audio. While i like sounds in game, it lacks something for background. Often feels that something is missing.

AI. I think that wolf IA actually got dumber several updates ago, significantly dumber.

Hand animation. Not really in favor of it. Now it takes me like 5 seconds to take out and light storm lantern. Annoying and unnecessary. 

#2. I have no idea what first 3 are supposed to mean. Yes to more and better balanced afflictions(yes, im looking at you parasites). Not sure about warding off wolves with prybars. Considering their aggression levels, i have doubts that it would work.

#3. Yes to some, no to others. Mostly from practical perspective, like what would be the point of having 2 types of bears ? Or owls ? All of that would take development resources and processing times giving very little in return.

@SteveP This game needs rabies like bears need spare wheels. Its like parasites 2.0. Even more unrealistic, incurable and always lethal. Also, owl feathers are horrible for fetching.

18 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

This game needs rabies like bears need spare wheels. Its like parasites 2.0. Even more unrealistic, incurable and always lethal. Also, owl feathers are horrible for fetching.

Ha ha! Well as an appeal to realism, I would not eat meat that had been ravaged by a predator for that precise reason. On the other hand, I would cheerfully eat bear meat IF and ONLY IF, it were well cooked. I kinda agree that parasites is a bit over powering however, they would be quite serious if you got trichinosis in real life. There is no home remedy for trichinosis however it's relatively easy to avoid simply by proper cooking and sanitation.

Here's a link to information about Rabies: Rabies and Road Kill including the appropriate precautions for handling it (wash, wash, WASH!)

From a game play perspective, it's understandable that  you want the player to have access to these early food and gut/hide resources. Maybe make that meat very sketchy.

The game could be made more involved (complex) by the addition of sanitation concerns however that takes away from the game appeal of action. Is it supposed to be an action game? I like the occasional predator encounters that are scary and dangerous; I even like the frequent ones! But I also like the strategy aspects and the peacefulness.

As for trichinosis, it is a legitimate concern and you can safely assume that most bears have it. The precautions are safe sanitation and handling and always cook the meat well. Here's a couple links: Trichinosis in Wild Game and Steven Rinella: The Bear Facts on Trichinosis

bear-shanks.jpg

As for sounds, I don't think there is much way to duplicate the utter silence that happens in winter during wind calm. Ambiance could be improved slightly with maybe a loon call, the soft flutter of a crow, a hoot from an owl to startle you and better wolf/coyote howling at evening and night. Those can be really eerie. Here is some really creepy/eerie wolf howling: SUNDAY SERENADE AT WOLF PARK

I wonder if an echo could be added in locations like valleys? Loud noises such as axe chopping often have an echo but only in certain places. There is a certain type of whistling wind noise that hasn't quite been captured in game yet. It is very eerie! You can hear it here: Whistling Wind Sounds I would focus on the whistling over the heavy gust noises. I prefer the eerie sound!! They could add even more intermittent and scary sounds such as a very occasional thump or thud! Or perhaps the sound of sleet pelting a window or snow and ice falling from a roof or tree. Sometimes the snow should really crunch and squeak when you walk on it and at other times, it should barely make a sound, depending on the snow itself. Fresh, soft snow is quiet; wind blown hard pack snow is crunchy and squeaky. Crunchy Walking in the Snow & Squeaky Snow Here are some interesting winter walking sounds. Notice the chickadee/sparrow sounds! Snow Walking Sounds I love the idea of making the snow walking sounds different according to the conditions however it could get annoying too.

Seamless indoor/outdoor transitions would be nice but its like that for a reason I suspect. It's a limitation of PC game resources, I wager. I believe they did work on optimizations for loading time so algorithmic optimization is always a good focus point. For me, since it has been that way from day 1, it doesn't bug me but on the other hand, I have good hardware with solid state disk to improve loading time. What sort of transition times are folks seeing? (do the one thousand counting: 1001, 1002, 1003...)

Steve P

Nice poll.  My other thoughts:

• Grouse and a new arrowhead for hunting  - a blunt or bird bolt could work on rabbits too. Wouldn't need the forge. I would need a mechanic to select your arrow ; broadhead or blunt.
  • Improved animal AI.  
  • Change the crows into ravens. Ravens are more common in the bush then crows They should be all over kills if you leave, scavenging the meat.
  • Large organized wolfpacks - could be terrifying! This might need to be balanced - so if you kill three or four maybe they back off :) 
  • Male deer should stand their ground to one or two wolves -  antlers vs. teeth. Female deer should outnumber the males.  The males could spar occasionally.
  • Moose, should be able to easily kill wolves unless wolf AI is improved so they hunt effectively in packs. 
  • Grizzly bear - same wolf interaction as moose.  They should always try to steal wolf kills - and your kills as well.
  • Construction of food caches so food is protected.  It would otherwise be scavenged and attract bears.  
  • Construction of a food dryer to make jerky and dried fish. The ability to keep meat inside when dry.

On the macro scale I would be encouraged if the devs regrouped after Story Mode into developing the idea of seasons and all that that would entail; growing food, water travel preserving produce, saving the sinking fishing huts.  I would favor the degradation of buildings over time and the need to build accommodations - a log house would make sense as a summer project. 

33 minutes ago, nicko said:

nice poll, but why don't the HT team do polls? surely if they did any they might get some great feedback here.

Because: psychology. o.O Working on this game must be frustrating; it never ends. The great thing is that they listen to our thinking. They even devote time to analyzing it. Somebody has done some introspection and decided that they love making software. Think about it. B|

9 minutes ago, SteveP said:

introspection

ha, im not a big word person, so looked that up for me or others,

noun: introspection; plural noun: introspections

the examination or observation of one's own mental and emotional processes.

10 hours ago, ernestww said:

Nice poll.  My other thoughts:

• Grouse and a new arrowhead for hunting  - a blunt or bird bolt could work on rabbits too. Wouldn't need the forge. I would need a mechanic to select your arrow ; broadhead or blunt.
  • Improved animal AI.  
  • Change the crows into ravens. Ravens are more common in the bush then crows They should be all over kills if you leave, scavenging the meat.
  • Large organized wolfpacks - could be terrifying! This might need to be balanced - so if you kill three or four maybe they back off :) 
  • Male deer should stand their ground to one or two wolves -  antlers vs. teeth. Female deer should outnumber the males.  The males could spar occasionally.
  • Moose, should be able to easily kill wolves unless wolf AI is improved so they hunt effectively in packs. 
  • Grizzly bear - same wolf interaction as moose.  They should always try to steal wolf kills - and your kills as well.
  • Construction of food caches so food is protected.  It would otherwise be scavenged and attract bears.  
  • Construction of a food dryer to make jerky and dried fish. The ability to keep meat inside when dry.

On the macro scale I would be encouraged if the devs regrouped after Story Mode into developing the idea of seasons and all that that would entail; growing food, water travel preserving produce, saving the sinking fishing huts.  I would favor the degradation of buildings over time and the need to build accommodations - a log house would make sense as a summer project. 

I would love to see crows or ravens picking at carcasses and flying off if startled. As for bears stealing wolf kills, it happens, but not very often, as wolves are the real top of the food chain when grouped together. Building cabins I strongly advise against, because that is one of the reasons I love this game: you can't build stuff like every other survival game. In this way, the game forces your hand just a bit more by pushing you out of your home sometimes and moving on. If resources don't motivate you then boredom surely would. Also the challenge of finding shelter in a blizzard is very exciting, instead of being able to (possibly) building a cabin on a whim. My last thing to say here is that common sense would tell me, at least, that building a cabin wouldn't be the smartest idea ever. Building a lean-to or something similar, maybe, but a summer vacation spot in a survival situation, I don't think so. I don't mean to shoot your idea down too hard, but rather trying to get my point across, if you know what I mean :).

Let's see

I'd like to see a bit of improvement with the audio, it gets weird in places and cuts out at odd times

Killable crows would be fantastic, though since they aren't out 100% any more, I have less of an urge to shoot them all, I'd love to see cardinals or other birds, as an example, there's loon sounds, but we don't ever see them.  Seals would be awesome!  And I'd like to see does. And dogs, very useful things dogs.

The core gameplay I'd like to see is more interactables.  I'd like to be able to move bedding and make a bed, or make an improvised sleeping bag from bedding.  and rugs, don't get me started on rugs. :)

On 4/18/2017 at 5:49 PM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I would love to see crows or ravens picking at carcasses and flying off if startled. As for bears stealing wolf kills, it happens, but not very often, as wolves are the real top of the food chain when grouped together. Building cabins I strongly advise against, because that is one of the reasons I love this game: you can't build stuff like every other survival game. In this way, the game forces your hand just a bit more by pushing you out of your home sometimes and moving on. If resources don't motivate you then boredom surely would. Also the challenge of finding shelter in a blizzard is very exciting, instead of being able to (possibly) building a cabin on a whim. My last thing to say here is that common sense would tell me, at least, that building a cabin wouldn't be the smartest idea ever. Building a lean-to or something similar, maybe, but a summer vacation spot in a survival situation, I don't think so. I don't mean to shoot your idea down too hard, but rather trying to get my point across, if you know what I mean :).

I see your points.  I would only advocate for more substantial building of cabins if the existing structures became uninhabitable over time.  I perhaps see a metric where you make it through year one or two and then the game telescopes ahead in time some years.  You find there are less civilization assets...anyway, this is conjecture and only in my head.

I will argue the wolf/ grizzly dominance. Juvenile bears no, but a full grown male grizzly would be unchallenged by anything except another grizzly.  47:00 minute mark of this doc illustrates the interaction.

Game birds. Ptarmigan probably. Prey that can fly away if you screw up. That would be a really good motivator to get your shot spot on.

This would also be a good way to introduce a new crafting and repair item: down (feathers). This way, in order to be able to repair nice down filled clothes, you would need down in addition to cloth. The materials for making the bear bedroll could also be changed, requiring down instead of cloth.

Cool idea!

3 hours ago, shade_grey said:

Game birds. Ptarmigan probably. Prey that can fly away if you screw up. That would be a really good motivator to get your shot spot on.

This would also be a good way to introduce a new crafting and repair item: down (feathers). This way, in order to be able to repair nice down filled clothes, you would need down in addition to cloth. The materials for making the bear bedroll could also be changed, requiring down instead of cloth.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:44 AM, ernestww said:

I see your points.  I would only advocate for more substantial building of cabins if the existing structures became uninhabitable over time.  I perhaps see a metric where you make it through year one or two and then the game telescopes ahead in time some years.  You find there are less civilization assets...anyway, this is conjecture and only in my head.

I will argue the wolf/ grizzly dominance. Juvenile bears no, but a full grown male grizzly would be unchallenged by anything except another grizzly.  47:00 minute mark of this doc illustrates the interaction.

My only issue here is that the black bears do not contend with wolves. Grizzly bears, I could see it, but black bears are very timid and quite the pushovers.

With the telescoping of time, do you mean that the game would skip days after so long kind of like Castaway or The Martian? Because that would be really cool.

The risk reward for hunting birds with a rifle are way too low. I know the game doesn't have to be completely realistic but no one would hunt birds with a 303. It would be like swatting flies with an anvil. If there were any fly left you wouldn't recognize it. And of coarse, why would you risk a bullet that can feed you for a week for a midnight snack.

If you were able to find a 410 or a 20 gauge shotgun or even a 22 rifle, bird hunting could be an option, but it still would not be worth the round in my opinion.

Trapping birds could be effective though. Why not have a chance to catch a crow if you set your snare near a spot they frequent. I have no trapping experience at all, just a thought.

Hmmm... just did the poll... where can I see the results?

Concerning animals, I would like to see cougars added, as they would add something new gameplay-wise: a predator which does not bark and is very sneaky in general.

Other animals I would like to see are the owl (I know you can hear it at night sometimes, but I've never actually seen it, maybe it's already there) and little birds. Just for the atmosphere. The owl would be especially cool if it existed, it would be high reward to see it if it requires going out at night and extinguishing light sources. I remember when I was a boy I once walked home at night in the winter, everything was covered in snow, and it was dead quiet. I saw an owl sitting on a fence pole. I stood close by watching it for a while, and then it unfolded its wings and flew off, closely above the ground. I remember very well that its wings were very quiet, no flapping noise at all. Magical.

Another thing that would be high on my list is animal AI. Currently animals react in a very mechanical way. I would also like wolves to display pack behaviour.

4 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Hmmm... just did the poll... where can I see the results?

Concerning animals, I would like to see cougars added, as they would add something new gameplay-wise: a predator which does not bark and is very sneaky in general.

Other animals I would like to see are the owl (I know you can hear it at night sometimes, but I've never actually seen it, maybe it's already there) and little birds. Just for the atmosphere. The owl would be especially cool if it existed, it would be high reward to see it if it requires going out at night and extinguishing light sources. I remember when I was a boy I once walked home at night in the winter, everything was covered in snow, and it was dead quiet. I saw an owl sitting on a fence pole. I stood close by watching it for a while, and then it unfolded its wings and flew off, closely above the ground. I remember very well that its wings were very quiet, no flapping noise at all. Magical.

Another thing that would be high on my list is animal AI. Currently animals react in a very mechanical way. I would also like wolves to display pack behaviour.

I would especially love to see cardinals, even if all you see is a little blotch of red dart across your screen. It would probably bring tears to my eyes. I already love the depressing loon call in desolation point, it's very chilling but I love it.

Cougars would force you away from rock walls, as they could pounce and cause a different sort of fight scenario. 

5 hours ago, Lovehandel said:

The risk reward for hunting birds with a rifle are way too low. I know the game doesn't have to be completely realistic but no one would hunt birds with a 303. It would be like swatting flies with an anvil. If there were any fly left you wouldn't recognize it. And of coarse, why would you risk a bullet that can feed you for a week for a midnight snack.

If you were able to find a 410 or a 20 gauge shotgun or even a 22 rifle, bird hunting could be an option, but it still would not be worth the round in my opinion.

Trapping birds could be effective though. Why not have a chance to catch a crow if you set your snare near a spot they frequent. I have no trapping experience at all, just a thought.

You can trap birds, but not with a snare like what's in the game. Birds would probably only be shot as a last resort, we mainly just need to see more wildlife, make the world really come alive. Too much would overdo it, but I want to see a little more than just wolves, bears, deer, and rabbits.

Archived