Reflections on Interloper

michael_martin

Hey guys, I recently started running interloper because stalker got kinda boring and predictable about 50 days in for me. I'm on my longest interloper run now ( only 10+ days ) and I'm loving it, hope I can extend this run as long as possible. I was hoping to post some strategies that work for me and also ask some questions / get some feedback.

Things that work for me:

1. Stay moving, never in one place for too long

2. Fill your belly with food before sleeping, that way you can recover the max amount of health. Eating during the day just results in wasted calories for me...

3. Make a fishing line immediately. I've found cured gut and hooks around PV, catching fish can supplement your calories and you can use them for wolf decoys.

4. Thaw a carcass ASAP to get some gut, meat for eating or decoys, hides, etc...

5. Make the most of fires. Even if I have 30 minutes left, I'm making .5 - 1.0 L of water. This helps conserve matches, which I try to only use for coffee/tea and making water. I've been eating fish raw for the most part, unless I already have a fire burning. I see a lot of people complaining about match scarcity on Interloper, but I've never had a problem finding or conserving them

Things I need help with:

1. WTF is the hacksaw and hatchet? I found a hammer in the PV barn every interloper run I've had so far, but can't find a hatchet or saw to save my life. Need this so I can craft a bow, which is seemingly impossible to me so far

2. Best region/ location for resources and long term survival?

3. Any other general advice?

1 minute ago, michael_martin said:

1. WTF is the hacksaw and hatchet? I found a hammer in the PV barn every interloper run I've had so far, but can't find a hatchet or saw to save my life.

There are no hatchets or knives to be found in Interloper - you have to make your own.  Hacksaws are around, I think in the same sorts of places as they are in Stalker.

Conserving matches is a long term strategy, something you do after you're all set for clothing & weapons.  I wouldn't worry about it before day 30-50.  Matches are finite, however, and not renewable.  If you find you have a good long run going, build up a stock pile of food and water then use magnifier to conserve the matches for emergencies. 

no riffles and MRE either. If you find a magn. glass, use that when u can. You can light a torch to make a fire. That way you only use one match to light a fire. Reach ML or CH. Those are the easiest place to live. Caves are a good place to find bedrolls.

On 16.4.2017 at 6:17 PM, michael_martin said:

1. WTF is the hacksaw and hatchet? I found a hammer in the PV barn every interloper run I've had so far, but can't find a hatchet or saw to save my life. Need this so I can craft a bow, which is seemingly impossible to me so far

As @Timber Wolf already mentioned, you have to craft hatchets (and also knives) yourself on Interloper. In other words, you need to visit one of the two forges currently in the game to get your ranged (& melee) weapons eventually. I personally prefer visiting a forge pretty soon after the start of a new run (usually before day10), but that's not mandatory ofc. You can also take your time and visit one of the forges at a much later time point if that suits your playstyle better.

On 16.4.2017 at 6:17 PM, michael_martin said:

2. Best region/ location for resources and long term survival?

My personal favorites are PV and TWM. They're a bit (about 10°C) colder than the other maps, but they offer plenty of bears and other wildlife to hunt as well as huge amounts of coal and medical plants. However, they're probably not the easiest places to live.

The easiest region in the beginning is probably ML due to its vast amount of cattail stalks, premade deer carcasses and opportunities to make wolves hunt down deer for you. As soon as you have a bow, the three ravine deer are also an extremely easy prey if you live inside the dam. In the long run, the easiest map to live on is probably coastal highway as long as you stay primarily on the ice plains. You'll never run out of prey on this map, fishing is possible along the whole coastline, it's relatively warm, wolves are very easy to avoid (on the ice) and there is so much shelter that freezing is pretty much no issue at all. ;)

Archived