Death from old age

AlexandraRussia

Hello, I know this is a game of survival, and my idea will seem strange to you, but here's an idea, in the game the protagonist dies from different situations, it would be wonderful if the character could live to the old age, and die of old age, in a quiet calm environment , And the long-lived icon would appear, where in the next survival, he could at least have a 3 percent protection

Given that from those maybe 5% of total players who may theoretically have the ability to survive long enough to have the character actually die of old age probably only 1% (at best) is also really interested in playing such an extreme long-term game I would say it's certainly not worth the work to implement it. ;) 

Besides, even a 2000day-game (that will take approximately 400-1000 hours of real life time depending on the playstyle) is "only" about five and a half years of ageing - that's nowhere near a time point when it would make sense for the character to die of old age.^^

40 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Longer runs out there, but less common now that hibernation has been tamed.

yeah. i still havent survived past day 200 since it is just so long to survive. i got to day 170 and then got bored. maybe one day i will return to that save and get me an achievement.

14 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Besides, even a 2000day-game (that will take approximately 400-1000 hours of real life time depending on the playstyle) is "only" about five and a half years of ageing - that's nowhere near a time point when it would make sense for the character to die of old age.

Still, if we imagine the character to be in his fourties when the sh#t begins to go down, and we assume he has another thirtyfive years or so on the ticker, it is feasible to die of old age - at least in theory.

35 years 12.783 days (including leap years)

45 years 16.436 days (including leap years)

It could be done. Granted, who would want to, but still...

1 hour ago, TWM said:

Still, if we imagine the character to be in his fourties when the sh#t begins to go down, and we assume he has another thirtyfive years or so on the ticker, it is feasible to die of old age - at least in theory.

I feel like it would be more likely to starve or dehydrate or exhaust yourself before that happens. With the environmental decay, I feel there would be like a blizzard every other day, and you would probably run out of arrows. Either that or your wood supply would dwindle dangerously so that water is no longer an option. In the end, you would probably run out of bedrolls to sleep on if those other two problems are solved. Cabin fever exists in every difficulty except for pilgrim, but pilgrim is rather boring.

15 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Given that from those maybe 5% of total players who may theoretically have the ability to survive long enough to have the character actually die of old age probably only 1% (at best) is also really interested in playing such an extreme long-term game I would say it's certainly not worth the work to implement it. ;) 

Besides, even a 2000day-game (that will take approximately 400-1000 hours of real life time depending on the playstyle) is "only" about five and a half years of ageing - that's nowhere near a time point when it would make sense for the character to die of old age.^^

Suddenly, the survivor suffered a major heart attack and died. The longest play through ever was no more...

(If nobody gets that reference, you make me sad.)

5 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Suddenly, the survivor suffered a major heart attack and died. The longest play through ever was no more...

(If nobody gets that reference, you make me sad.)

That sounds like a gag from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

@Ruruwawa: I should have clarified that I meant a long play time without hibernating with a recent (ish) build.

9 hours ago, TWM said:

I guess it's only feasible if you're either unemployed or retired and have no other hobbies at all.^^

You see, playing one TLD day usually takes about 10-30 real life minutes on average (in the long run), at least for me. Ten minutes, if I try to pass time as fast as possible and only show the minimum activity necessary, thirty minutes if I play in my usual playstyle that is much more active (walking around/picking up sticks/searching for opportunities to use wolves for hunting, etc.)

So playing 13.000 days would take me about 2500-7500hours. Given that I can only play for a maximum of maybe 12.5 hours per week (and that's already extremely optimistic, most often it's less than 8), I would need about 200-600 weeks (= about 4-12 years!) to finish such a game. If I did literally nothing else in my free time, that is. ;p

I wouldn't really call that feasible, let alone desirable.^^

In these conditions though, eating what little there is available, how realistic would it be to live through to what would be considered old age? Obviously without more variety in harvestable plants and other sources of food, it is highly likely that the survivor would become deficient in something. I think if Hinterland devs were to implement something like an old age cap on how long the survivor can survive, there would need to be further elements such as balancing nutrition of which the effects would be seen otherwise, which can contribute to how short or how long the survivor is capable of surviving without factoring in animal attacks and weather conditions. Not enough calcium in your diet? You'd be more likely to break bones instead of merely getting a sprained ankle or wrist. Even a small otherwise survivable fall could be fatal. Too much protein, hello gout (If I remember my nutrition class correctly of course) The devs could implement other sources of difficulties that the survivor would have to get through. I mean, a broken leg could be survived, given that the survivor manages to treat it (not necessarily with an actual plaster cast, but with a rough splint and taking it easy for a while. I'd actually like to see how the game plays out once the Devs implement changing seasons in the sandbox mode.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, Dirmagnos said:

Two words - Progeroid Syndromes. Problem solved, player can die of old age the next day he starts, depending on severity, specific condition and stage.

Oi, surviving into adulthood wouldn't happen, meaning no survivor.

Archived