Hunting options, gore, and frozen storage

Gooseboy

A more in depth hunting experience would be awesome. A rabbit for instance could be taken home to field dress, wolves and small deer could be gutted and dragged to a warmer/safer spot before skinning and chopping up the meat. Bear... you'll need to work where you dropped it. 

And to see what you've done. Opening up a deer right after killing it could have a warmth bonus, maybe show the process, steam pouring out.... If you fully skin and chop up a deer, just blood and a pile of stomach contents left behind.

Higher field dressing skill could provide more meat. Different parts of the animal could be in the inventory as well, maybe for the experienced survivor deer tongue and tenderloins haha. Beginner survivors could have more chance of ruining some of the meat.

Also, a shovel to dig out an outdoor "freezer" in the ground. So if you shoot a moose (if that's added) you don't waste 100lbs of meat.

Bone saw for more efficient field dressing, pretty much a must for moose and bears. And different caliber rifles for big vs little game? Shotgun for some bird hunting?

The only problem with a lot of this is that we must keep in mind not to make this a hunting game, but rather a "survival game". I'm only telling you this because of the fact that everybody else is going to tell you this just the same. Love the ideas, as I'm a hunter myself, but too much of that in this game would spoil the survival feel. 

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

The only problem with a lot of this is that we must keep in mind not to make this a hunting game, but rather a "survival game". I'm only telling you this because of the fact that everybody else is going to tell you this just the same. Love the ideas, as I'm a hunter myself, but too much of that in this game would spoil the survival feel. 

Hope this helps.

I agree. We should keep the weapons to a selective minimum, at least in any difficulty above pilgrim. Maybe they'll add a hunting mode later on?

I'd like to be able to briefly bleed out my kills on site then carry or drag them to a more convenient location to butcher them properly later. And/or be able to roughly dismember larger prey on site and then relocate the parts for later, more refined butchery in a better location.

I guess that would need to be balanced by having animal corpses eaten by wolves if they're left for too long.

I think there are many opportunities to enhance the visual and auditory reality experience. I mentioned fire animation enhancements not so long ago. Meat harvesting is another one and I especially like the idea of quartering game and moving it home to hang it up for butchering. Alas, this is a minimalist game however ambiance is important so the most attention is paid to the over all impression, the beauty of the outdoors. It is impressionistic in style.

For blood and gore, you might like to try the add on packages for Doom; tons of blood, spatter and sound effects. For me, that's not the most important. I could rephrase the question in the form of a poll, I would like to know which areas you think could stand visual and auditory enhancements. This is where we need to brain storm and share ideas.

Archived