Countdown

Admin

3 minutes ago, Sockenstreifschuss said:

I don´t want them to work harder or faster. I just don´t want them to fool me, the customer. They can take all the time they need. But why a cocky countdown after four moths of silllence for the announcement of the release date? I don´t get it. Maybe it´s just me...

its not just you  a lot of peeps mad out there but they will get over it and getting mad over it wont change anything. hinterland just made a mistake and they will learn from this

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cantousent said:

I wonder if it's Patrick's idea to have the time in the first place?  The problem with griefing online (or any other place of business) is that you generally don't harass the person who deserves it.  Don't get me wrong, this is a developer forum, so keep complaining here.  That's fair.  The point is, don't assume that the *individual* you're taking to task is the source of your complaint.  For example, the moderators here are charged with keeping the peace.  If it's like a lot of places, the moderators don't get paid, although they might get free copies of games or whatnot.  So, you might be irritated with Hinterlands, but that's not to say that their community manager is the person who deserves the dog pile.

The other thing is, consider what your end game is.  If you want to blindly hurt the company for a bad idea in terms of PR, fair enough.  We live in a free society and I think it's great to be able to speak.  ...But I also ask you this:  have you ever seen a game that didn't have great reviews that you took a chance buying and loved?  Have you ever gone back to look at those reviews to see whether the reviewer had issues with something other than the game?  Remember, the essential purpose for reviews isn't to punish or promote the developer.  That's truly a secondary or even tertiary purpose at best.  The purpose of a review is to help the *consumer.*  If give a negative review of a game you enjoy only because you find personal fault with the behavior of the developers, you might or might not hurt the developer, but you're definitely misleading fellow gamers.

Delivering a good screed here seems perfectly legitimate to me.  Writing up a review for the game based on something other than gameplay is not.  Trust me, the developers recognize the widespread disapproval of their tactics without reviews.

Just so you're aware, Raph is claiming this as his idea on his twitter, opinions aside.

I love the trailer and the launch of the The Long Dark side. Looking forward to the new sandbox although it will wipe my 3 year old saves (luckily I still have the installers).

Don't mind all the hate currently. It says more about those people than the game itself. The game is great! It's one of my best crowdfunding donations ever! :D
I do agree that there could have been more information about the countdown timer. But after all you, Hinterland, clearly stated that there would be 1 more sandbox update before the release and that Story mode wasn't ready yet but information about it would be available soon. Anyone drawing conclusions from this information into 'storymode will be released the 4th of May' should take some lessons in English (English isn't even my mother-tongue and it was clear to me that storymode wouldn't release today).

Edit: currently down-voting all the negative reviews on Steam. Are you serious guys? Did the game really get worse because you expected something that was never promised in the first place?

Just now, Willkwi said:

Just so you're aware, Raph is claiming this as his idea on his twitter, opinions aside.

Ah, in that case, Raph should come and take the heat!  lol  Seriously, don't get in the fray.  That's the job of the community manager, poor bastard.  hahahaha

I guess I'll follow Hinterlands on Twitter, although that won't mean much.  I think I have two followers on twitter.  One is my wife and I suspect the other is a Lithuanian prostitute, but I don't want to find out.

Just now, ponyhidden said:

Why does the age of the person being illustrated matter..? Your argument is nit picky and completely dodges the point.

Precisely.. the age is important to the illustration only in that the kid isn't able to calculate when their birthday would be...  which puts them in the same situation as the community here. If the kid was older, the illustration wouldn't work.

But details like that fly totally over some people's head, it seems.

Just now, ponyhidden said:

Why does the age of the person being illustrated matter..? Your argument is nit picky and completely dodges the point.

You illustrated the feeling and reaction of a 5 year old to explain the reaction of older people. Spok would likely raise an eyebrow, don't you think? :) Anyhow, perspective is always messing with us, let's not get mad about it and go on.

1 minute ago, Blinkin said:

Anyone drawing conclusions from this information into 'storymode will be released the 4th of May' should take some lessons in English (English isn't even my mother-tongue and it was clear to me that storymode wouldn't release today).

I don't think anyone here was really expecting story mode today.. but a sandbox update, which we knew was in the works, kinda fitted the bill.

Just now, Blinkin said:

I love the trailer and the launch of the The Long Dark side. Looking forward to the new sandbox although it will wipe my 3 year old saves (luckily I still have the installers).

Don't mind all the hate currently. It says more about those people than the game itself. The game is great! It's one of my best crowdfunding donations ever! :D
I do agree that there could have been more information about the countdown timer. But after all you, Hinterland, clearly stated that there would be 1 more sandbox update before the release and that Story mode wasn't ready yet but information about it would be available soon. Anyone drawing conclusions from this information into 'storymode will be released the 4th of May' should take some lessons in English (English isn't even my mother-tongue and it was clear to me that storymode wouldn't release today).

Respectfully, I think the majority of people here knew they wouldn't release storymode. That's not what I'm upset about.

but whatever I'm clearly just a hater, it says a lot about me, etc.

9 minutes ago, ElvisHunter said:

Isn't it clear hinterlands just used the PC community to fund their early development and how now abandoned us for the consoles? That countdown wasn't for the chumps who already paid it was for the new potential PS4 customers. 

No, that's not clear in the least.

You're deliberately trying to stir up trouble, just for the sake of it.

I'm not trying to say anyone here is a hater at all.
I'm just saying that nothing was promised except news about storymode and the fact that there would be one last sandbox update.

I also hoped that sandbox was released today. But I also know there's a big step between hope and expectations. Even a bigger step between expectations and promises.
That's all. Now let's enjoy the game again shall we? :D

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

No, that's not clear in the least.

You're deliberately trying to stir up trouble, just for the sake of it.

Re-read Raph's statement. They clearly placed an emphasis on building the anticipation for the ps4 community exclusively. 

1 minute ago, Blinkin said:

I'm not trying to say anyone here is a hater at all.

Begging your pardon, but that's almost exactly what you said.. at least own up to it.

8 minutes ago, Blinkin said:

Don't mind all the hate currently. It says more about those people than the game itself.

13 minutes ago, ElvisHunter said:

Isn't it clear hinterlands just used the PC community to fund their early development and how now abandoned us for the consoles? That countdown wasn't for the chumps who already paid it was for the new potential PS4 customers. 

Hate to admit it, but think you're spot on! 

So After the 2 Week timer Hinterland gave us. A 1 month timer, a sh***y new HUD and a trailer filled with 2D animations (because hinterland can't do 3D animations. It's beyond their skill level)

Hinterland has hit a new low. 

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Precisely.. the age is important to the illustration only in that the kid isn't able to calculate when their birthday would be...  which puts them in the same situation as the community here. If the kid was older, the illustration wouldn't work.

But details like that fly totally over some people's head, it seems.

No, you said we shouldn't act like five year olds. If you were to raise the age of the kid, then you'd replace the birthday with something else you're excited about but don't know when is happening. I fail to see how this is a problem.

21 minutes ago, Sockenstreifschuss said:

I don´t want them to work harder or faster. I just don´t want them to fool me, the customer. They can take all the time they need. But why a cocky countdown after four months of silllence for the announcement of the release date? I don´t get it. Maybe it´s just me...

You are perfectly right. This is not how you treat a customer, or anybody at all.

The loss of trust is enormous. How do you know that Hinterland will release episode 3-5 or other seasons? I mean there is no release date and they could say that this was planned but had to be dropped because of ... reasons. Or what about updates for the sandbox? "Sorry, we had no time but we started a new countdown so you can wait another 3 months for a new teaser where you can see what is planned). And we can't say anything about sandbox updates because of storymode spoilers" :P

If Hinterland wants to act like the big studios, than i am sure they can also live with the negativity of it's customers.

14 minutes ago, Blinkin said:

Edit: currently down-voting all the negative reviews on Steam. Are you serious guys? Did the game really get worse because you expected something that was never promised in the first place?

Exactly what I´m doing now, lol ^^

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Begging your pardon, but that's almost exactly what you said.. at least own up to it.

I let me explain what I mean by this. Might be because I kind of literally translated a Dutch saying.
If you expect something that has never been promised and start complaining (even writing negative reviews that are completely out proportion) than it might say something about how you interpreted text and how you act about it when you get disappointed.

"Don't mind all the hate currently. It says more about those people than the game itself."
The disappointment is mostly created by how people interpreted the text and not about how good or bad the game is.
That's what I mean with "It says more about those people than the game itself.".

Maybe I'm just translating it incorrectly to English? Please let me know so I can prevent this in the future. :)

2 hours ago, Cantousent said:

Nevertheless, I know that the angst and animosity for the vast majority of people will fade once the game is released.

This will probably be true for me because once the game is released I don't think of the developers at all.  It's just like any other game (you rate the game-play not the developer-play).

2 hours ago, Cantousent said:

I think giving a bad review to a game based not on the game itself or the gameplay but on your beef with how the developers handle announcements isn't just bad form, it's also counter-productive.

I disagree with this.  Rating an in-development game based on the credibility and reliability of the developers is perfectly reasonable.  I think rating a completely finished game on the developers is pointless.  There are a lot of early access games where the gameplay is fantastic but it's a scam and the game will never be finished.  Warning people against that potential is important.  With TLD, I would say that the developers are completely shady but $20 for TLD sandbox is a reasonable price.  Just don't expect regular updates.

Ok.. I think I understand what you were trying to say, now..

Not sure what to suggest to improve it.. I've been up all night waiting for the countdown to end.. (here in Australia it's now almost 7am Friday morning) and my brain is fried. I need to go sleep.

Archived