Countdown

Admin

3 minutes ago, June said:

You really kicked your long time supporters in the nuts, guys.

I ask myself: didn´t you see the shitstorm coming? I feel sorry for you.

It's not just that. They don't seem to learn from the experience. Just read the response in this thread. It's completely tone-deaf. Like the Hinterland peeps are living in a separate reality altogether.

'Yup, we hear your frustration, but won't you check out this fab new trailer, and share our excitement on the journey and how we're nearly there?'

It's painful to see they just don't get it. You can't raise people's expectations by leaving them in the dark for weeks, and then expect them to step over their sense of disappointment just as if nothing happened.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i'm going to head out of the discussion for the day. I'll keep playing from time to time only because i bought it. I have however lost a lot of my excitement, and enthusiasm about it and sadly will not be recommending it , unless they can really do what they say about taking the communities advice and maybe add some of the long requested features and communicate with the community better. I hope all of you that are mad, just try to take it in stride and try to salvage some joy in another form for your day

I'm not impatient. I have plenty to do this summer. I'm not whining because the game development is taking years.

I downvoted because of the PR stunt. Many people were led to believe the game was being released due to the countdown. One last chance to get the game on sale before the release! ... or not. They EASILY could have said it was the countdown to the new website. Or dropped the storymode news on us as a surprise! But instead they chose to stay silent about it.

Their defenders also seem to be ignoring the fact we won't be seeing the highly anticipated sandbox features until after august. We will be getting some things end of May or in June (console players). First person presence on weapons, quartering corpses, and throwing torches. Cool! But why isn't the countdown for the end of May..? 

Anyway, I didn't mean to rant about this again, but I'm tired of being labeled as an impatient prick who didn't get what he wanted at the end of the countdown.

4 minutes ago, June said:

I´m gonna do this to my friends. I´ll say: in 22 days there´s something big happening with my band! And after those 22 days  i will announce the release date of our new album of next summer.

If I were you friend that would just make me even more excited for the eventual release of your album!

Lurker since the earliest of days....

Although I love the sandbox as it is, the hype hinterland made with the countdown, this has to be one of the worst anticlimax moments for gaming in 2017 (so far)  

Dont know exactly what I was hopeing for today.  But I can assure you that it was NOT for another countdown. 

Unlike some, I wont change my postive review on steam for a negative, but rather just remove it. 

3 minutes ago, TWM said:

It's painful to see they just don't get it

Patrick´s doing his best to cheer people up. We would have been very happy with the new announcements without that timer, right? It was building up huge expectations. because we (long term TLD players) have seen quality updates before.

4 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

If I were you friend that would just make me even more excited for the eventual release of your album!

Maybe that was the thing Raph & Hinterland had in mind? :D

10 minutes ago, fearofspam said:

I'm with you.  I don't think I'll buy the future episodes.  I'll just play the sandbox and the episodes I get with that initial purchase.  They have literally just said a big F U to the entire community with this countdown tactic.

We're sorry you feel that way. Even if you don't see it now, or ever (which is fine, too), this is a huge day for the game and its development. We are launching on August 1. No more delays or mystery surrounding Story Mode -- it's coming. The community is a part of this -- (moving carcasses are coming, we're bringing back the throwing mechanic!)  

That being said -- we understand your frustration with how we chose to share this news. We've definitely taken that on-board this morning. 

1 minute ago, amphiz said:

Dont know exactly what I was hopeing for today.  But I can assure you that it was NOT for another countdown. 

I didn't know either, but I certainly contemplated the possibility of a release date announcement. I was here just to make sure it was not an update of the Sandbox, and it finally wasn't. I'm of course disappointed in the way that I didn't get my sweets, but I won't erase anything nor stop playing a game I like. It is not as bad and dramatic as others state, really. I hope "childish rants" stop soon and we recover the normal "serious" mode of the forums and reviews.

I may not be as long-time as some of you. But as far as I'm concerned this update is total quality. The new website looks fantastic. The video and new game play look excellent and I'm getting a new sandbox to play in soon too! Not only that but it's going to PS4 and an August Release for Story Mode. 

Perhaps I don't get what I'm supposed to be complaining about.

2 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Then try thinking of it this way..

You're 5 years old.. you know your birthday is coming up soon, but since you're so young, you don't know when, exactly.. then your parents tell you, In 22 days, there's a big surprise coming.."

So you wait and wait, even though you can hardly breathe, you're so excited.

Finally, the day of the big surprise comes, and your parents say, "In 3 months time, it's going to be your birthday, and there's going to be a big party, and we have some awesome presents and games planned for you."

That's what Hinterland just did to their entire community.

5 minutes ago, June said:

Patrick´s doing his best to cheer people up. We would have been very happy with the new announcements without that timer, right? It was building up huge expectations. because we (long term TLD players) have seen quality updates before.

Yeah, hell of a great job ;)
d03e04ceceafd564f53299f3a25dfcc8_-as-to-

Just now, JAFO said:

You're 5 years old.. you know your birthday is coming up soon, but since you're so young, you don't know when, exactly.. then your parents tell you, In 22 days, there's a big surprise coming.."

Finally, the day of the big surprise comes, and your parents say, "In 3 months time, it's going to be your birthday, and there's going to be a big party, and we have some awesome presents and games planned for you."

Oh damn it. Don't behave like a little 5 year old kid.

1 minute ago, RossBondReturns said:

I may not be as long-time as some of you. But as far as I'm concerned this update is total quality. The new website looks fantastic. The video and new game play look excellent and I'm getting a new sandbox to play in soon too! Not only that but it's going to PS4 and an August Release for Story Mode. 

Perhaps I don't get what I'm supposed to be complaining about.

Believe me, despite my comments above, I'm thrilled about everything that's coming.. particularly that mapping tool.

Man, i was excited... but tired after work and sport. Normally would have gotten something to eat and then go to sleep. Instead i thought i ignore my physical needs and get a energydrink to make it through night. when i come home - this.

Thats shit, hinterlands. Cant defend you no more. You really fucked it up one more time to often. what a ridiculous, stupid action. And so unneccesarry.

im pisssed but i really pitty the guys that took holidays just to be able to play it.

what a fucked up move

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

And they gave us good stuff to tide us over.

So once again I have no issue and see no issue here.

Perhaps as the screenwriter in the whole of the production analogy I've learned to grow a very thick skin. Nope, I'm just someone who HInterland made even more excited!

Just now, RossBondReturns said:

And they gave us good stuff to tide us over.

So once again I have no issue and see no issue here.

Perhaps as the screenwriter in the whole of the production analogy I've learned to grow a very thick skin. Nope, I'm just someone who HInterland made even more excited!

So empathy is not your strong point.. noted.

I wonder if it's Patrick's idea to have the time in the first place?  The problem with griefing online (or any other place of business) is that you generally don't harass the person who deserves it.  Don't get me wrong, this is a developer forum, so keep complaining here.  That's fair.  The point is, don't assume that the *individual* you're taking to task is the source of your complaint.  For example, the moderators here are charged with keeping the peace.  If it's like a lot of places, the moderators don't get paid, although they might get free copies of games or whatnot.  So, you might be irritated with Hinterlands, but that's not to say that their community manager is the person who deserves the dog pile.

The other thing is, consider what your end game is.  If you want to blindly hurt the company for a bad idea in terms of PR, fair enough.  We live in a free society and I think it's great to be able to speak.  ...But I also ask you this:  have you ever seen a game that didn't have great reviews that you took a chance buying and loved?  Have you ever gone back to look at those reviews to see whether the reviewer had issues with something other than the game?  Remember, the essential purpose for reviews isn't to punish or promote the developer.  That's truly a secondary or even tertiary purpose at best.  The purpose of a review is to help the *consumer.*  If give a negative review of a game you enjoy only because you find personal fault with the behavior of the developers, you might or might not hurt the developer, but you're definitely misleading fellow gamers.

Delivering a good screed here seems perfectly legitimate to me.  Writing up a review for the game based on something other than gameplay is not.  Trust me, the developers recognize the widespread disapproval of their tactics without reviews.

44 minutes ago, Cantousent said:

The idea that

I actually got a kick out of this.  Believe me, your point comes across whether the idiom does or not.  :wry grin:

However, you say I don't have balls, guts, or however the idea goes in German because I don't come online to complain about the game delay?  I guess if I'd taken a couple days off in anticipation of at least *something,* kvetching would lower my blood pressure if nothing else.  However, my blood pressure was never raised.  Will bad reviews get the game out sooner?  Will griefing the mods and devs change whether we get arctic foxes or moose into the game?  Will complaining loudly advance anything at all right now?

Even the 'bad review' idea doesn't do anything.  Now that we have a commitment for a hard fast date, there's nothing productive to be accomplished by complaining and, to be perfectly candid my German friend, I'm too old to get into a flame war with the developers... or members... over news about a game.  If I were really put off by the wrong minded countdown, I would simply stop following the game.  On the other hand, while I think it's silly to suggest that people who don't come online to vent rage or frustration lack 'balls,' I don't mind other people coming online to vent rage and frustration.  Keep giving 'em hell, brother.  Just keep in mind that, with an August release date, you don't have a lot of time to give it before the game ships anyway.

I don´t want them to work harder or faster. I just don´t want them to fool me, the customer. They can take all the time they need. But why a cocky countdown after four months of silllence for the announcement of the release date? I don´t get it. Maybe it´s just me...

Archived