Countdown

Admin

Oh dear, this countdown business has certainly caused a lot of hurt and disappointment out there. I'll admit to feeling a growing excitement to today's announcement this week... I wasn't expecting story mode or even a sandbox update (although I secretly hoped) but I was expecting something... even if it was a patch for the bugs we've been reporting over the months. I won't watch the trailer as i don't want any spoilers for the story mode. Still, saddened as I feel to see the TLD community breaking up so angrily today I'm sure it'll all blow over by the time the next update drops. It's just......a shame, y'know? 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Amazombie said:

i agree with you on the price, however i disagree on the review point. I understand the argument of its about its game play. However for me, when I look at reviews I tend to find those that have other information like development, promises etc very useful. I may not want to put my money on a game where the development team may be flaky or updates delayed or on other things. i think its very relevant actually 

While I understand that relevancy. I also understand a lot that goes into videogame production because I am in film production. When a film goes into pre-production treatments, pitch meetings, storyboarding, casting, attaching directors and producers, location scouting etc.and then production offices of the film open, writing the final drafts of the script, and on and on. Always work is going on. Even if a film gets stuck in development hell it is still in development. Work continues until finally production happens. The shoot happens. Post-Production happens and then a release. They deliver on the promise, with varying degrees of success according to the fans.

Now obviously this analogy is not exactly the same.

Hinterland has allowed us to see, use, troubleshoot if you will throughout the production process, and throughout the shooting process, heck if you want you could say we've been through development hell with them. And we are about to receive and take part in the joy and excitement of the finished product. A product we have generously been allowed to handle, have input into, and contribute to.

Every time production is extended we get a look at the product, we get the choice to test each sandbox. The "special effects" and "color grading and optimizing" look more complete. We know that the hear and soul of Hinterland Studios is being absolutely poured into every amazing vista and moment. And I'm pretty damn sure that if they continue to follow through with the experience of The Long Dark as they have thus far when The Long Dark: Wintermute hits they are going to deliver and exceptional experience.

So I don't get it. I don't get the negativity.

IF I thought that Hinterland couldn't be trusted to complete The Long Dark then yep....I get the negativity.

But the possibility of that is so laughable that it makes no sense to even begin playing devil's advocate in that way.

When I write my Steam Review (because I only review completed products) it will mention the lengthy production process and how the wait was absolutely worth it.

3 minutes ago, Nervous Pete said:

Damn, forgot about my fan-fiction! I really should pick that up again, even though my early estimate of it being set in the early nineties is apparently hilariously off. 

I know what you mean. I made mine intentionally vague because I couldn't work out the time period. Your fan-fiction is legit man you should definitely continue it!

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

We hear your frustration. We also hope you get a chance to dive into the news we've shared today, what it means for us (the studio *and* the community), and Raphael's thoughts on the road so far. We've come a long way and we're very close now. 

What made you think we haven't read the news? I think the comments in this thread are people are reacting to the news

The idea that

41 minutes ago, Sockenstreifschuss said:

And everyone who is satisfied with the shit that has been delivered here today has no cut or balls, however you say that in english. This is my opinion.

I actually got a kick out of this.  Believe me, your point comes across whether the idiom does or not.  :wry grin:

However, you say I don't have balls, guts, or however the idea goes in German because I don't come online to complain about the game delay?  I guess if I'd taken a couple days off in anticipation of at least *something,* kvetching would lower my blood pressure if nothing else.  However, my blood pressure was never raised.  Will bad reviews get the game out sooner?  Will griefing the mods and devs change whether we get arctic foxes or moose into the game?  Will complaining loudly advance anything at all right now?

Even the 'bad review' idea doesn't do anything.  Now that we have a commitment for a hard fast date, there's nothing productive to be accomplished by complaining and, to be perfectly candid my German friend, I'm too old to get into a flame war with the developers... or members... over news about a game.  If I were really put off by the wrong minded countdown, I would simply stop following the game.  On the other hand, while I think it's silly to suggest that people who don't come online to vent rage or frustration lack 'balls,' I don't mind other people coming online to vent rage and frustration.  Keep giving 'em hell, brother.  Just keep in mind that, with an August release date, you don't have a lot of time to give it before the game ships anyway.

6 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Agreed.. that's 100% spot on. @Patrick Carlson and @Raphael van Lierop, I hope you're reading this.

We're reading everything -- as we always do. Sincere feedback, even frustration, has always been freely shared among the community. 

But we're also excited about the next steps, and that's a big part of what today is about too. A release date, a growing community, a narrative experience we think (and hope) many existing players will love. Our work continues. 

1 minute ago, Cantousent said:

Will bad reviews get the game out sooner?  Will griefing the mods and devs change whether we get arctic foxes or moose into the game?  Will complaining loudly advance anything at all right now?

Of course not. But hopefully it will send a message to any other EA devs that are watching this an idea about what not to do. Your line of thinking would be the same as getting food poisoning at a restaurant (not that I am saying this was THAT bad) and not writing a bad review because that wouldn't make your stomach behave any better.

8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Agreed.. that's 100% spot on. @Patrick Carlson and @Raphael van Lierop, I hope you're reading this.

Meh, I don't think so. Okay the countdown was pretty hyping, but the rest is great. Please continue this way you made the game.

I am not a programmer or artist but I can understand how much work and effort you have to invest to make something like that.

@Raphael van Lierop

@Patrick Carlson

3 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

But we're also excited about the next steps, and that's a big part of what today is about too

Don't get me wrong.. I'm excited about what's coming too.. but the mishandling of this whole affair leaves a bad taste in the mouth, you know?

It didn't have to be this way.

1 minute ago, RossBondReturns said:

I'm still trying to understand the point of writing a review for a game that isn't even finished yet?

The game is on sale. When people buy stuff they may want to read reviews. Some other people write reviews so that the first ones can read... not sure what is complicated here. If you don't want reviews don't sell it?

Wow. I really was trying to expect nothing, but getting literally nothing was a huge dissappointment in the end. The trailer is great and all, but a 22 day timer for a release date?! It seems the timer was only set up to gain the attention of people who never played TLD, - and the ps4 players. I love the long dark and I love Hinterland, but now I get mixed feelings. You really kicked your long time supporters in the nuts, guys.

I ask myself: didn´t you see the shitstorm coming? I feel sorry for you.

The saddest thing is:  people are downvoting TLD on Steam because of this. So sad. :(

still looking forward to playing, but not today (i even marked this day for gaming)

While traveling long term, I've used so many websites and review apps for hotels, restaurants, sights... Over time I've grown so much HATE for those that review nonsense based on a selfish burst of feelings. So many times a review system is broken with useless herd mode information like "omgosh food was awesome but they didn't attend me in 30 seconds ---> 1 star". This is how Hinterland reviews are looking right now on Steam, full of useless crap.

3 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

I'm still trying to understand the point of writing a review for a game that isn't even finished yet?

because part of this game success is the positive reviews of it so far. it goes both ways without the reviews they wouldnt have sold nearly as much

1 minute ago, LonelySurvivor said:

The game is on sale. When people buy stuff they may want to read reviews. Some other people write reviews so that the first ones can read... not sure what is complicated here. If you don't want reviews don't sell it?

My biggest issue is giving a negative review becaues, erm, you're feelings were hurt. We weren't promised anything playable today. Everything that we have is great. What changed?

Just now, RossBondReturns said:

My biggest issue is giving a negative review becaues, erm, you're feelings were hurt. We weren't promised anything playable today. Everything that we have is great. What changed?

I totally agree, its all the same! we never were told that we would get tons of content at the end of the countdown. Its all good guys!

maybe after enough delays and what some feel as an issue with dev, its no longer something they would recommend. i put in a lot of hours hoping it would come around, now seeing that is this close to release and still missing so much i dont feel its worth it. my bad review doesnt have to do with the countdown but rather was was revealed today

16 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

So I don't get it. I don't get the negativity.

There is this difficult word: patience. People's patience. You don't get it. Hinterland obviously doesn't get it. Unfortunately, it is now their problem (considering the epic shitstorm, well deserved IMHO).

Well if you really want to know what people feel changed you can go read the reviews... :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/The_Long_Dark/

There are two sides. The developers and the community. And both sides should work properly. When everyone get the idea, that bashing is great because they feel mad and disappointed and should review the game now, please stop being dorks.

2 hours ago, Fredward said:

I'm finished. Going to permanently delete TLD. This is total BS. Bye.

I'm with you.  I don't think I'll buy the future episodes.  I'll just play the sandbox and the episodes I get with that initial purchase.  They have literally just said a big F U to the entire community with this countdown tactic.

5 minutes ago, Samski said:

There are two sides. The developers and the community. And both sides should work properly. When everyone get the idea, that bashing is great because they feel mad and disappointed and should review the game now, please stop being dorks.

i understand what your saying but the problem here is that most of the people expect something big.the big countdown the axe near the logo . YOU knew that something was coming and then came the VIDEO!

I´m gonna do this to my friends. I´ll say: in 22 days there´s something big happening with my band! And after those 22 days  i will announce the release date of our new album of next summer.

Archived