Countdown

Admin

You know the feeling when something feels so bad that you even don't know wether to scream or to laugh? Or if you see something incredible disgusting or horrifying but you can't stop watching?

At some point i stopped watching The Walking Dead because the series became a single cliffhanger.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On one hand, the news itself doesn't bother me at all.  I didn't assume we'd get story mode.  I did expect a sandbox update, but that doesn't bother me either.  Moreover, I personally don't mind that the countdown went to nothing.

On the other hand, what were they thinking?  Good God, they had to know that this would cause an upswell of griefing.  Literally, I can't think but that they knew this would cause rampant unhappiness.  Maybe they figure it will die down in a few days, but I don't see an upside for them.  The only thing I can figure, and I don't know enough even to be informed, let alone dangerous, but maybe they needed to have a hard release date announcement for Steam or xbox or something.  If that's the case, then maybe they didn't want to squander the announcement without some attendant hype.  I still think the whole countdown to nothing thing was ill-advised.  All in all, trying to engage people on steam is going to be pointless for a few days.

On my third hand, I'm happy overall from the development perspective.  They've given us a hard date.  They've clearly shown that they're committed to that date.  As promised, they'll have one more sandbox update and then full release of story mode.  The story mode looks interesting.  Aside from what I would characterize as mishandling of the announcement, I don't have a gripe with what it actually said.

6 minutes ago, Cantousent said:

On the other hand, what were they thinking?  Good God, they had to know that this would cause an upswell of griefing.  Literally, I can't think but that they knew this would cause rampant unhappiness.  Maybe they figure it will die down in a few days, but I don't see an upside for them. 

Well what they got out of me was that I convinced a few of my friends to buy the game in EA. That is what pisses me off - Hinterland make me look like an idiot. So I hope they enjoy the few bucks this countdown made them. As much as it pains me (because I do love the game as my 200+ hours attest) I am going to, at least temporarily, change my Steam review from positive to negative.

It is the only way I have to "punish" this kind of marketing behavior (also that wolfpack in the trailer is very distasteful unless in the middle of the update about what is not going to be in the game someone forgot to mention that wolfpacks are working which would be odd since people are asking for that since forever).

Hey at least I did not take the day off to play tomorrow - feel sorry for those.

6 minutes ago, Cantousent said:

On one hand, the news itself doesn't bother me at all.  I didn't assume we'd get story mode.  I did expect a sandbox update, but that doesn't bother me either.  Moreover, I personally don't mind that the countdown went to nothing.

On the other hand, what were they thinking?  Good God, they had to know that this would cause an upswell of griefing.  Literally, I can't think but that they knew this would cause rampant unhappiness.  Maybe they figure it will die down in a few days, but I don't see an upside for them.  The only thing I can figure, and I don't know enough even to be informed, let alone dangerous, but maybe they needed to have a hard release date announcement for Steam or xbox or something.  If that's the case, then maybe they didn't want to squander the announcement without some attendant hype.  I still think the whole countdown to nothing thing was ill-advised.  All in all, trying to engage people on steam is going to be pointless for a few days.

On my third hand, I'm happy overall from the development perspective.  They've given us a hard date.  They've clearly shown that they're committed to that date.  As promised, they'll have one more sandbox update and then full release of story mode.  The story mode looks interesting.  Aside from what I would characterize as mishandling of the announcement, I don't have a gripe with what it actually said.

I'm with you. Not sure why they chose this approach, but I'm happy Story Mode is coming soon I and am still very excited for the future of Sandbox (Survival) mode.

4 minutes ago, Cantousent said:

Sandbox, however, is missing revolver, moose, cougar, cooking, etc. From my understanding we have to wait even longer than August for those.

5 minutes ago, Cantousent said:

On the other hand, what were they thinking? 

Maybe they thought, that we wouldn't take this so personal, but being happy, that there now is a release date and some news to share. I would have been happy, too, to get an update or even story mode, but in reality i do not really care. Waited now so long for this game, that it doesn't really matter for me if it's going to be released 3 month sooner or later ..

24 minutes ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

post-image-03.jpg

The community's reaction to the timer is should we kill it or pet it.

I read that and near about died laughing.

I enjoyed the trailer for sure, and yes I am disappointed that it was a countdown to another countdown, but I am a little more miffed as to why that was the only thing? I was hoping for an update of somesort we could screw around with. Regardless I can wait. I have other games I can play in the meantime. I'd rather play a good game than a rushed crummy one.

1 minute ago, Pillock said:

Manage expectations? That's just hilarious!

Good luck @cekivi, @Scyzara!

I'm currently thinking maybe we should all go on a looong holiday at some himalayan monastery and meditate there for a few weeks. Getting rid of all our desires would solve multiple problems for sure. ;)

I think I am like a lot of you who were expecting a story mode timeline (which we got) and the final sandbox update today (which we didn't get, but is 3-4 weeks away).  It's disappointing but it's hardly the end of the world (haha).  I'll still be checking in now and then for news and eventually the releases.

Just now, Scyzara said:

I'm currently thinking maybe we should all go on a looong holiday at some himalayan monastery and meditate there for a few weeks. Getting rid of all our desires would solve multiple problems for sure. ;)

Yeah, I do feel a bit for the moderators, but this will die down and then simmer for a few months.  I'm personally not mad.  Merely bewildered and a bit confounded.  Nevertheless, I know that the angst and animosity for the vast majority of people will fade once the game is released.  Then, because it's more entertaining to complain about what you don't like than praise what you do, you'll have the people who find fault with story mode.  However, I do think that Hinterlands has now earned the 'tease' trait.  I mean, all developers do it, but they've mastered the process of stringing along a community, God bless 'em.  lol  Aw well, no use losing sleep over it.

August is not far off and if it's been worth the wait thus far, it's worth a few months.  Meanwhile, I guess I'll keep working on getting all my badges.  :rueful grin:

11 minutes ago, ponyhidden said:

Sandbox, however, is missing revolver, moose, cougar, cooking, etc. From my understanding we have to wait even longer than August for those.

That's what I get out of Raph's words too. No moose, not even August first? :( He tweeted about moose in November 2016 I think? Hinterland could do a better job about handling their news..

5 minutes ago, Labenius said:

I think I am like a lot of you who were expecting a story mode timeline (which we got) and the final sandbox update today (which we didn't get, but is 3-4 weeks away).  It's disappointing but it's hardly the end of the world (haha).  I'll still be checking in now and then for news and eventually the releases.

not the end of the world, but it will hit them , so far 11 neg reviews just today and i think they all reference the countdown , as a reason. valid a reason or not depending on your point of view its still happening. and thats only in the 90 mins or so since this was done, i have a feeling it will grow. 

1 minute ago, Amazombie said:

not the end of the world, but it will hit them , so far 11 neg reviews just today and i think they all reference the countdown , as a reason. valid a reason or not depending on your point of view its still happening. and thats only in the 90 mins or so since this was done, i have a feeling it will grow. 

I think giving a bad review to a game based not on the game itself or the gameplay but on your beef with how the developers handle announcements isn't just bad form, it's also counter-productive.  I understand that people feel it's their only way to get their point across, but it also muddies the water in terms of what a review is supposed to do.  Namely, tell people what to expect in the game, not whether you want to march on Hinterland's headquarters because they flubbed the countdown.

4 minutes ago, AcademicDust894 said:

Dev's playing the players! Not the smartest PR move.

When you say "Test Branch" does that mean PC & us Xbox players will have to wait another 2-4 weeks before we get the sandbox update?

Actually, it means PC will have to wait another 2-4 weeks to have the option to test the update - Xbox is stuck until June+.

1 minute ago, Cantousent said:

I think giving a bad review to a game based not on the game itself or the gameplay but on your beef with how the developers handle announcements isn't just bad form, it's also counter-productive.  I understand that people feel it's their only way to get their point across, but it also muddies the water in terms of what a review is supposed to do.  Namely, tell people what to expect in the game, not whether you want to march on Hinterland's headquarters because they flubbed the countdown.

If they correct the behavior that I feel crossed the line, I'll happily revert my review. My opinion is that at this current point in time, supporting Hinterland isn't something I recommend. That may well change sooner or later.

1 minute ago, Cantousent said:

I agree with both schools of thought. If they are doing things that are getting them hammered in reviews they may change and many will change their reviews to reflect that. However when i do such things i leave both, a review about gameplay and about other things. would be nice if steam gave a different rating system rather than just yes or no

4 stars for game play 2 for development  or something similar

Archived