Countdown

Admin

15 minutes ago, mic said:

I don't remember, and for me, this is the most expected update, and the worst of this, I have a 2mb connection, it takes an eternity to discharge anything

Did you mean to type "download anything" ?? Discharge sounds like something you'd shuffle sheepishly into a clinic about.. 

Moving swiftly on, I always thought they released updates on Friday so people wouldn't hassle them over the weekend about bugs - though they seem to work weekends anyway, fixing stuff. More likely though, it's that people get out of school/work for the weekend and have time to play. I dunno mate, I'm just clutching at straws really. I'm tempted to pray but the devil says I owe him money  - I said like lol, totally no way, get thee behind me dude! (Said it in American because he's president there now).

Are my comments becoming more provocative so Hinterland will talk to me? You decide. No, not you Donald, $20? Kiss my long dark hinterland, mind your wig.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Jytton Lames said:

Did you mean to type "download anything" ??

Yes I mean download, I work in Buenos Aires docks, it is very common mistake on my, here we "discharge" containers.. sorry! (in spanish we use the same word both cases "Descargar")

1 hour ago, mic said:

Yes I mean download, I work in Buenos Aires docks, it is very common mistake on my, here we "discharge" containers.. sorry! (in spanish we use the same word both cases "Descargar")

Hey, my Spanish consists of rude words and the lyrics to "La Bamba", I'd say lo estás haciendo bien cabron! (that was google translate, had to edit, first time in French by mistake, doh).

Since I don't have an update to play:

You could go to hospital because of a strange coloured discharge from el pene (?), then be discharged from the hospital and celebrate by getting drunk and discharging a firearm for which you would get arrested by a policeman discharging his duty and afterwards discharged from your job - so you wouldn't get to discharge any more containers, but would avoid the risk of electrical discharge from faulty equipment. I like to help.

But Buenos Aires, I'd like to see that sometime. Here in Dublin it rains all the time and we've a big argument going about a new tax on water - fun to visit maybe.

It's probably counting down to a TLD Star Wars event.  I mean, it is counting down to May 4th which is Star Wars Day.  Maybe this whole early access Sandbox was just a trick to throw us off and story mode is set entirely on Hoth.

May the fourth be with you...

5 hours ago, fearofspam said:

It's probably counting down to a TLD Star Wars event.  I mean, it is counting down to May 4th which is Star Wars Day.  Maybe this whole early access Sandbox was just a trick to throw us off and story mode is set entirely on Hoth.

May the fourth be with you...

*waves hand* this is not the update you are looking for....

IMG_0208.JPG

3 hours ago, i8turky2 said:

tommorrow is the last monday before the countdown ends.... so if they are gonna release an update that would be the day to do it i guess. Im not sure if i like the whole vagueness tactic hinterland are using :(

Two weeks ago, maybe, but I think we've reached the point where we can say we're not getting an update until Thursday.

4 hours ago, Willkwi said:

Two weeks ago, maybe, but I think we've reached the point where we can say we're not getting an update until Thursday.

Yeah seems like something got derailed. No Story Mode would be a serious disappoint

Prediction. We will get a sandbox update, and then they will reveal the official release date for story mode, which will still be several months away. So, the countdown is just the countdown to the reveal. 

So, sandbox update (moose, new map?, maybe cooking update?)

A new story mode fancy trailer.

A story mode release date.

If story mode itself is suddenly released like that I would be surprised.

4 minutes ago, Yolan said:

Prediction. We will get a sandbox update, and then they will reveal the official release date for story mode, which will still be several months away. So, the countdown is just the countdown to the reveal. 

So, sandbox update (moose, new map?, maybe cooking update?)

A new story mode fancy trailer.

A story mode release date.

If story mode itself is suddenly released like that I would be surprised.

Agree.

Let's not forget these words from the December 2016 update:

" With the Sandbox update we just released — Resolute Outfitter — we’ve added the last major core gameplay system that remains before we launch Story Mode. We have two or three additional major systems we’re working on that we’ll be launching *with* Story Mode — and these are pretty significant in how they change the way the game feels — it’s likely that both these systems will also find their way into Sandbox, but we’re still working out those details."

So, maybe.

What I think they're probably doing is releasing the Sandbox as a full game on Thursday, and coming out of the Early Access phase - with all the finished systems that go with it for the time being, minus perhaps the new maps which will be reserved for Story Mode so that the narrative function of playing the story in an unfamiliar environment is maintained.

That 'finished' version of the Sandbox would then form the basis of the game mechanics for the first season of the Story Mode, which will then appear episodically over whatever time-frame they have planned. And there probably won't be major upgrades to Sandbox systems after that until they complete the first season of the story.

After that, by all accounts, they're planning further seasons of the Story Mode, which will be released as paid-for new content, and will probably be accompanied by new Sandbox features to support where they want to go with the story - so we may have to buy the new story seasons in order to continue having the latest version of Sandbox as well. But that's the long-term. And I may well be totally wrong! But kind-of what I'm expecting now. And I think it would be quite a sensible way of doing it in order to continue to fund development of the game, which is certainly warranted.

But anyway! We'll find out soon enough. Whatever they're doing, however they're scheduling it, we're going to end up with substantially improved new version of the game very soon, and it's going to be of very high quality - I think anyone who's followed development for any length of time can be fairly sure of that.

I simply don't believe that the Countdown is just going to mark a minor tweak to Sandbox plus an announcement of Story Mode in several more months' time - that would just be such a ridiculous way for the studio to have behaved, given recent intimations, that I refuse to even contemplate it!

42 minutes ago, Pillock said:

What I think they're probably doing is releasing the Sandbox as a full game on Thursday, and coming out of the Early Access phase - with all the finished systems that go with it for the time being, minus perhaps the new maps which will be reserved for Story Mode so that the narrative function of playing the story in an unfamiliar environment is maintained.

That 'finished' version of the Sandbox would then form the basis of the game mechanics for the first season of the Story Mode, which will then appear episodically over whatever time-frame they have planned.

Well, as Raphael recently said, "When we launch Story Mode we will be out of Early Access"...

I would take that to mean that Story Mode will be released when Early Access ends.. which, given the wording of the recent 50% off Steam sale, isn't far away..

Surely at the very least, a big update is going to drop at the end of the countdown. Put it in it's sandbox status that will be the test run for story mode. Then shortly thereafter story mode drops?  I don't think Hinterland would possibly have the countdown be nothing. I mean, fans would be dropping. I believe that would be extremely not good for the company image. They've gotten hopes and expectations up to a loony level. It would be a shame to see the ball dropped here, so close to the goal line. As an aside, I'm not really sure why I went with a football metaphor there. Please Hinterland, don't disappoint. I've been a fan for so long now. 

2 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

As i know Hinterland and by the experience we made with them, i guess it will be a sandbox update and story mode will come in autumn or even winter.

That makes sense, ok by me too. Though the counter is on www.thelongdark.com, hope this isn't just for the release of the "official" website, that would be lamer than a wolf with an arrow in his knee..

(Tired Skyrim meme intended, to emphasise lameness)

1 hour ago, Jytton Lames said:

That makes sense, ok by me too. Though the counter is on www.thelongdark.com, hope this isn't just for the release of the "official" website, that would be lamer than a wolf with an arrow in his knee..

(Tired Skyrim meme intended, to emphasise lameness)

Well.....there isn't a test branch, is it? :o

Oh god please no. I hope imploringly that they will release a sandbox update and not just the lame website. I planned to travel home at the update weekend, because it's the only place where i can play it!!!!

Archived