Countdown

Admin

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, nicko said:

Surely common sense / logic would only mean one thing with the counter (http://www.thelongdark.com/) == first official game release?

I'd say two things - what you said Nicko and that they're trying to get a little media attention before launch. I suppose every little helps but I still say: tell the multitudes who have already bought the game what's going on and depend on kick-ass reviews for press attention. Let's face it, they're selling an amazing product I don't think a mysterious but hardly innovative counter will make much difference.

I've never really understood Hinterlands attitude of saying the minimum about updates/launch. From the bit I've seen of these forums you guys seem incredibly mature by gaming standards (except me - Want Game Now! Waa!). Maybe I'm missing the rudeness and trolling (is there a section for that?) but I just don't see these people rage quitting and harassing over a missed provisional deadline on this game. For the 2 years I've being playing/loving TLD Hinterlands been saying they don't know dates for sure and won't speculate. Fair enough, but now they do have a date. So?

I bet Raph responds in 13 days 22 hours and 49 minutes. Like his humour, but not as much as I love his game!

While I don't post as much here or on the Reddit sub as I used to I still lurk at both locations daily (just moved and changed jobs -- time's tight at the moment) but wanted to say that I'm very excited too see and experience what's coming ... Can't wait for May 4 ;-)

As always, great game Hinterlands !

Moose Fun Fact:

Antler development begins in March or April, first in older bulls and last in yearlings. During the growth period, the soft spongy antlers are covered with a dark brown, velvety skin.

So the countdown indicates approximately when thoose moose antlers are ready for maiming Astrid and Will.

8 hours ago, i8turky2 said:

If sandbox does not come out tomorrow. The countdown will be for that... personally i will be a little let down if thats the case though.

It would just be nice to bloody well know, one way or the other!

I don't really understand the point of all this mystery and vagueness!

10 hours ago, i8turky2 said:

If sandbox does not come out tomorrow. The countdown will be for that... personally i will be a little let down if thats the case though.

Yeah me too.... if the countdown would be just for a sandbox update I'd feel a bit misled.

It seems I would be on the minority of TLD player base who would be extremely happy to receive a big sandbox update... I can definetely wait until the story mode is 100% completed... but I'm eager to see some aspect of the sandbox improved or expanded (AI, cooking, wildlife...and MORE REGIONS!).

On the topic though... I have to say that I'm a bit confused as well. I'd bet for a sandbox update + the story more release date.

36 minutes ago, Ohbal said:

It seems I would be on the minority of TLD player base who would be extremely happy to receive a big sandbox update... I can definetely wait until the story mode is 100% completed... but I'm eager to see some aspect of the sandbox improved or expanded (AI, cooking, wildlife...and MORE REGIONS!).

On the topic though... I have to say that I'm a bit confused as well. I'd bet for a sandbox update + the story more release date.

Two new regions are coming with Story Mode. They're not going to release them beforehand, because they want people to be able to play Story Mode without map knowledge, as a part of the narrative. I think that's what they've said, anyway.

Frankly, if the countdown is for an announcement on a release date, that's going to make them the butt of a few jokes - but that doesn't matter all that much, I guess. If the countdown is for an Alpha Sandbox update, I don't know why they can't just say that. Why the secrecy?

9 hours ago, Pillock said:

Two new regions are coming with Story Mode. They're not going to release them beforehand, because they want people to be able to play Story Mode without map knowledge, as a part of the narrative. I think that's what they've said, anyway.

Frankly, if the countdown is for an announcement on a release date, that's going to make them the butt of a few jokes - but that doesn't matter all that much, I guess. If the countdown is for an Alpha Sandbox update, I don't know why they can't just say that. Why the secrecy?

That's what I don't understand as well. It makes no sense!

12 hours ago, Ohbal said:

Haha ... you mean: a countdown for the countdown? That would be really funny ... 

14 hours ago, aurora said:

Haha ... you mean: a countdown for the countdown? That would be really funny ... 

Not really, I mean exactly what I wrote: the countdown is for the sandbox update :) 

But I get your point, a release date could be seen as a new countdown for the most eager of fans. Its slightly different though, and it happens all the time with marketing. For example in a movie, you first get a countdown for a trailer, and while you are watching it you also get the "on theaters on May the 4th". 

Well, if @Ohbal thinks they would be unpopular in being grateful for even a sandbox update, I would be happy even if there were no countdown nor update.

Don't get me wrong, the game isn't finished and yes, I have expectations of assurances yet to be fulfilled, but I cannot say that I feel at all short-changed in any way with the huge return on my small investment in TLD and Hinterlands. If fully-finished games were as engaging and enjoyable as TLD has been even at this point in development, the gaming landscape would be a much richer.

Of course I am excited about the news, but temperance prevails and whatever it is, it will be welcome and well-received.

Archived