auto pick up

AZHockeyNut

was out gathering sticks for some fuel and hit on a payload of them, probably 30-40 scattered about in a small area. YAY. too many clicks to gather one at a time, would be nice to be able to toggle on/off auto pick up of sticks where I focus and it grabs. Sticks only not branches. Seems if you are in the mind set of picking up sticks as you walk then an auto/reflex of grabbing every one you see until you have "enough" would be nice.

Show some respect! You should say "thank you!" everytime you collect anything so simple as a stick. They help you with 8 minutes +1Cº on fires, craft tinder, build snow camp, mark routes...

But seriously, I don't like the idea of developers devoting time for auto-tasking systems. If TLD gets to the Steam Workshop, that'd make sense for a Mod.

Good idea. At the very least, maybe the double clicks on picking up sticks could be removed.

Pick up stick. Observe the stick and identify it as a stick. Say "I hope nobody needs this anymore". Put stick in bag. Repeat 30 more times in the next 5 minutes.

It gets a little tedious, and I think we all just double click sticks every time we pick them up to speed past the process. So why not remove it, just on sticks?

Maybe instead, be able to pick up all the sticks inside a small radius around the center of your focus.  So, if two or three sticks were very close together then you wouldn't have to pick them up individually, but rather pick them up at once.  That would reduce the tedium without any sort of auto feature.

1 hour ago, Timber Wolf said:

Maybe instead, be able to pick up all the sticks inside a small radius around the center of your focus.  So, if two or three sticks were very close together then you wouldn't have to pick them up individually, but rather pick them up at once.  That would reduce the tedium without any sort of auto feature.

So like a radius similar to the bedroll area that goes green when trying to place it or the fire when trying to light it? hit a key and it greens up an area of the ground and all the sticks there are picked up? something like that? I could live with that. I just hate having to click so much. On the harder challenges I am trying to save time and gather just sticks and when there are a ton, I just want to do them quickly since that would be the character's mind set. Now maybe he/she is a tad distracted, or there is a little delay based on the number of sticks in the collection area. While distracted....certain animals could sneak up on you?

On 4/12/2017 at 6:39 PM, AZHockeyNut said:

So like a radius similar to the bedroll area that goes green when trying to place it or the fire when trying to light it? hit a key and it greens up an area of the ground and all the sticks there are picked up? something like that?

Sort of.  I was thinking more along the lines of...

123.thumb.jpg.b96b4b675b8aac9080f21569b93d8a88.jpg

The red circle represents the (invisible) zone around the focus point that could detect sticks.  When two or more sticks are within this zone, the display could say "Sticks", or even include the number of sticks.

So, it could work a little like when I am out gathering sticks IRL for a fire and bend over and grab a few that are right around each other, then move a little and bend over and grab a few more.  I think it could make the process more efficient.

Archived