Hacksaw: TLD's universal multi tool of the Ages?

piddy3825

Behold the common Hacksaw... 

First you find one, then two then another and another.  I used to think that the hacksaw was just another necessary 1 kilo burden in my backpack, the use thereof dwindled after I'd scrapped enough metal to meet my forging requirements.  But lately, I have been looking at the hacksaw as a 1 kilo jack of all trades MasterCraft Tool of the Ages!

It's kinda a balancing act between, carrying the axe and a hunting knife, or having to forge those items vs. finding enough whetstones to keep them all sharp and useful.   

So enter the lowly hacksaw,  it cuts all your wood limbs for firewood, takes about twice the time as using the axe.  It harvests the meat, yes, harvest times on game increased, but not so much it seems when the animal is frozen solid - probably really messy on a fresh kill so that does take a lot longer.  It is easy to maintain, repair requirements are quality tools and scrap metal - the hacksaw helps produce it's own repair materials i.e. the scrap metal needed becomes abundant on most maps.  

So with your quality tools, scrap metal and the hacksaw, you can keep the hacksaw repaired to 100% on every outing.  You can maintain your tools to 100% all the time.  You can harvest wood, you can cut meat.  I haven't defended against wolf attack with only a hacksaw in inventory so i don"t know if that works...( I can imagine fluffy has his fangs sunk into my forearm and i am trying to saw away at his neck and face with a deliberate racking cutting strokes...  I feel a test run needs to be conducted.  any volunteers?)  Never mind... I tried it myself and if you are only armed with a hacksaw, then you are unarmed.  Still drew blood on Fluffy, apparently I must bit him back or gouged his eyes as he left leaving a blood trail.

When consider that whetstones are limited as compared to the abundance of scrap metal, I am sure you can see where I am going with this.  I think it possible to survive for an extended period of time just using the hacksaw.

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Hacksaw could be extremely effective vs wolves. You just jam it into his mouth and wolf itself will do all the damage trying to either bit thru it or get rid of it.

yeah, but if you miss then you're buggered!

Or it might just pull the saw from your grasp, then spit it out onto the ground and continue to bite your face off, albeit through damaged and bleeding chops.

6 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Hacksaw could be extremely effective vs wolves. You just jam it into his mouth and wolf itself will do all the damage trying to either bit thru it or get rid of it.

You would think so, right?  Anyways, i did try taking on the wolf in both voyager and stalker mode but apparently being armed only with the hacksaw is the same as being unarmed, the animation only shows hands so i consider that as being completely unarmed.  

6 hours ago, cekivi said:

I don't think the hacksaw is used in struggles. You'll likely default to bare hands.

Considering the animation only showed my hands with every wolf encounter when the only item in my inventory was the hacksaw, I have to say No, it isn't.  But then, @cekivi, why not?  Useful for every other purpose in the game.  Why not be able to use it in the game as a weapon?  Imagine that wolf is jumping up at you and you swing your hacksaw and the blade cuts down hitting the wolf right across the eye down the length of its snout slicing thru its nose.  Having practiced your hacksaw jujitsu moves you immediately counter with a spinning hacksaw cross cut aiming for the rear leg tendon.  Unless the wolf got the drop on you, you just drew blood at least once if not twice.  Every once in a while I can get an immediate kill with a hunting knife and not suffer any damage.  doesnt happen often but it does.  Anyway if I can draw blood bare handed, I think I should be able to slice and dice fluffy with the hacksaw when he attacks me.  I'd be interested in your opinion, let me know what you think.

While you can certainly injure a wolf (and possibly draw blood) I don't think you'd be able to use it as an effective weapon. Saws require resistance to cut. If you attempt to saw a wolf it is going to move. The other weapons either bludgeon or stab the wolf. The other difficulty is hacksaw blades tend to easy bend or break if you do use them to hit things.

That being said, the hacksaw would still provide some protection from teeth and claws and would be a better option than your bare hands. You'd just have a high risk of breaking it.

A hack saw isn't going to provide a stabbing weapon and its not heavy enough to deliver a stunning blow nor is it a spear-like weapon. The wolf is very effective at closing the distance and in close fighting with its teeth. You need to engage those jaws with your arm (preferably wrapped in cloth) while you deliver stabbing blows with a knife or heavy blows with a club or hammer. A hammer is actually a pretty good close-in weapon against a smaller animal like a wolf. A bear will pin you and you can't deliver effective blows although you might be able to stab. The wolf's tactic is going to be a fast attack and knock you to the ground. They will operate as a team in real life by encircling and attacking from the rear. They are not stupid. They will also be intimidated if you have a heavy club like weapon (baseball bat) that you can swing rapidly.

Archived