The Little Things...

Fuarian

Here are a few things that are quite small but I think should be in the game nonetheless.

1. Reading normal books and newsprint to help with Cabin Fever and have a chance to give you a random skill point. 

2. Simple and Advanced torch. Simple is made with wood and cloth and burns less bright and for less time. Advanced torch is the current one we have. 

3. Coat racks, I feel like this will come with the enhanced inteiors at Story release. But I feel as if I should be able to hang up my coat on the wall for aesthetics. Instead of storing it.

4. Bow racks, this could just be the rifle rack, but somewhere to store my bow in style. 

5. Enhanced item placement. I want to be able to lean my rifle against the wall or stack up my wood in a nice pile. Stuff like that. 

6. Harvest carpets, shredded paper, sticky notes and other useless junk items you see around the game world that have no use. 

7. When a bear is near your shelter. It should try to break the door down. Like in Hunted Pt. 2 it can't get in. After you'd need to repair it. Otherwise it would get cold inside. 

8. Throwing decoys?

9. Building stays warm after fire has gone out for period of time. Building size and type will play part in this. As well as broken doors as mentioned above.

10. On Stalker loot should be more scarce but plentiful in minor locations. Like a food cache in a trunk of a car or container in a secluded location. Instead of EVERYWHERE!

11. Animals should have a special pathfinding to avoid weak ice since making an animation for them falling in is hard to do. For realism's sake.

12. Dragging corpses to a better location for harvesting and picking up dead rabbits. 

13. Bowdrill/Handrill for Interloper

14. Moving around furniture and containers for shelter customization. Similar to the item placement feature. 

15. Add an echo to the dam/Hibernia/mines/caves. There may be one already. But one similar to when the game first came out would be awesome!

16. Finding useless items like pens, cards, music disks, broken technology. For atmospheric purposes. (maybe at Story release)

That's all for now.

#7. Bear could, small chance, not should. Even when bears come near houses irl they do not break in everywhere. It happens only on rare occasions.

#9. That would be nice. Heat management in game is a rather off.

#10. No, no and no. Im tired of this crap of cutting amount of loot as means of bumping difficulty(one of main reasons why i dont play Interloper is because it not just cuts loot beyond any reason, it also removes numerous items from the game; i like difficulty, but stripping it to bare bones just kills most of the fun for me). Maybe scale down its quality and/or durability of items found. This primitive crap with less and less items per difficulty, in game with already rather limited item pool, just got to go.

#12. Taking rabbits with you for later skinning, sure, But dragging anything else anywhere past few feet is highly unlikely.

#16, Again, no, no and no. Game dont need some completely useless junk that contributes nothing to it, while there is so much useful stuff that could be added. Finding items like CDs would be interesting to find first couple of times, then they will just become irritating. It would be a whole lot of work for nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 1:26 PM, Dirmagnos said:

#7. Bear could, small chance, not should. Even when bears come near houses irl they do not break in everywhere. It happens only on rare occasions.

#9. That would be nice. Heat management in game is a rather off.

#10. No, no and no. Im tired of this crap of cutting amount of loot as means of bumping difficulty(one of main reasons why i dont play Interloper is because it not just cuts loot beyond any reason, it also removes numerous items from the game; i like difficulty, but stripping it to bare bones just kills most of the fun for me). Maybe scale down its quality and/or durability of items found. This primitive crap with less and less items per difficulty, in game with already rather limited item pool, just got to go.

#12. Taking rabbits with you for later skinning, sure, But dragging anything else anywhere past few feet is highly unlikely.

#16, Again, no, no and no. Game dont need some completely useless junk that contributes nothing to it, while there is so much useful stuff that could be added. Finding items like CDs would be interesting to find first couple of times, then they will just become irritating. It would be a whole lot of work for nothing.

I'm saying that a lot of the loot in Stalker is too bland. You find food in the exact same locations and there's a lot of it. Instead we should have it be rare but plentiful in locations you wouldn't expect like the trunk of a car. Remember that this is the apocalypse. And it's not exactly the beginning either. Long time ago Raph said that sandbox takes place at least 2-3 weeks into the apocalypse. So it would make more sense for survivors to have gathered supplies and stached them up somewhere instead of having unscavenged houses.

On 5/2/2017 at 3:57 AM, Fuarian said:

So it would make more sense for survivors to have gathered supplies and stached them up somewhere instead of having unscavenged houses.

Unless they were evacuated. And judging by small number of cars in the area, id say that evacuation order came shortly before Event.

12 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Unless they were evacuated. And judging by small number of cars in the area, id say that evacuation order came shortly before Event.

No vehicles worked once the Aurora started frying electronics. No way an evacuation order would've taken place. 

3 hours ago, Fuarian said:

No vehicles worked once the Aurora started frying electronics. No way an evacuation order would've taken place. 

Not necessarily the case.. We generally know 24-48 hours in advance, of a solar flare heading towards Earth. That's plenty of time for people to evacuate, if they're paying attention.

6 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Auroras do not fry anything, they are merely visual manifestation of extreme(relatively, compared to normal) em activity(that is usually associated with solar winds, as they are most common cause). And yes, once Event happened, anything electronic was gone.

Im referring to pre-Event time. It is possible that it was known, possible for a few days prior, that something catastrophic was coming. It is even possible that protagonist was aware of what was to come, there is no backstory on that.

However, in case of such events there are 2 ways that things are most likely to go, most common, government knew, but sad nothing. And, government knew, emergency was declared, but nobody really believed that things could actually be that bad(its just modern civilized human way of thinking, we are delusional enough to consider ourselves pinnacle of creation), as nothing similar happened in recent history. Ignorance is a big part of our "enlightened" culture, just look at global warming hysteria(and there are many other examples). So, it is possible that Will decided to make high-risk run or was coerced into doing it(rest is history), even tho he knew that something was going down.

So, while it is unlikely that such remote areas would be evacuated, as they would be affected the least by Event(in comparison to big cities, that will essentially become killing grounds), it is possible that people, possibly on their own, decided to move to more suitable location, eg strength in numbers. Maybe there is some winter resort(if its remote enough, then to accommodate all potential customers for a prolonged amount of time it must be well stocked, as making constant prolonged/expensive trips for food is not good for financial bottom line) few dozen miles in some direction, where everybody gathered and stocked supplies and now wait for things to pass.

22 hours ago, JAFO said:

Not necessarily the case.. We generally know 24-48 hours in advance, of a solar flare heading towards Earth. That's plenty of time for people to evacuate, if they're paying attention.

Well clearly given the new Story Mode trailer that an evacuation did not happen.

On 2017-04-09 at 10:16 AM, Fuarian said:

Here are a few things that are quite small but I think should be in the game nonetheless.

1. Reading normal books and newsprint to help with Cabin Fever and have a chance to give you a random skill point. 

2. Simple and Advanced torch. Simple is made with wood and cloth and burns less bright and for less time. Advanced torch is the current one we have. 

3. Coat racks, I feel like this will come with the enhanced inteiors at Story release. But I feel as if I should be able to hang up my coat on the wall for aesthetics. Instead of storing it.

4. Bow racks, this could just be the rifle rack, but somewhere to store my bow in style. 

5. Enhanced item placement. I want to be able to lean my rifle against the wall or stack up my wood in a nice pile. Stuff like that. 

6. Harvest carpets, shredded paper, sticky notes and other useless junk items you see around the game world that have no use. 

7. When a bear is near your shelter. It should try to break the door down. Like in Hunted Pt. 2 it can't get in. After you'd need to repair it. Otherwise it would get cold inside. 

8. Throwing decoys?

9. Building stays warm after fire has gone out for period of time. Building size and type will play part in this. As well as broken doors as mentioned above.

10. On Stalker loot should be more scarce but plentiful in minor locations. Like a food cache in a trunk of a car or container in a secluded location. Instead of EVERYWHERE!

11. Animals should have a special pathfinding to avoid weak ice since making an animation for them falling in is hard to do. For realism's sake.

12. Dragging corpses to a better location for harvesting and picking up dead rabbits. 

13. Bowdrill/Handrill for Interloper

14. Moving around furniture and containers for shelter customization. Similar to the item placement feature. 

15. Add an echo to the dam/Hibernia/mines/caves. There may be one already. But one similar to when the game first came out would be awesome!

16. Finding useless items like pens, cards, music disks, broken technology. For atmospheric purposes. (maybe at Story release)

That's all for now.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to separate one part of your post to quote. Anyway, all cool ideas and I too wish I could move containers to where I want them, but #2 - We already have a simple torch....it's called a fire brand ;-)

3 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Sorry, I can't figure out how to separate one part of your post to quote.

Highlight the text you would like to quote and a little - Quote This - bubble will pop up.  Click on it and that portion of text will show up in the response area below. ;)

Capture.thumb.JPG.f57efbb06eb0227bff6fd2017cef8c64.JPG

3 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Highlight the text you would like to quote and a little - Quote This - bubble will pop up.  Click on it and that portion of text will show up in the response area below. ;)

Capture.thumb.JPG.f57efbb06eb0227bff6fd2017cef8c64.JPG

Oh, hahaha, thanks. You'd think I would have tried that seeing that it makes sense. But I was just clicking on different parts :D

5 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Sorry, I can't figure out how to separate one part of your post to quote. Anyway, all cool ideas and I too wish I could move containers to where I want them, but #2 - We already have a simple torch....it's called a fire brand ;-)

Yeah but I mean... well you know what I mean.

On 4/9/2017 at 0:26 PM, Dirmagnos said:

I agree with both sides that could be made for this argument. On the one side, you have the fact that it might offer immersion. Maybe only items of the group that could be broken down could be picked up, and the rest could just be there. On the other side, if someone says that they should all be able to be picked up, you can say you'd end up with a small cabin being full of useless junk that you would never think about using. For now, I think avoiding adding them is the best idea.

14 hours ago, ThePenguinBusinessman said:

I agree with both sides that could be made for this argument. On the one side, you have the fact that it might offer immersion. Maybe only items of the group that could be broken down could be picked up, and the rest could just be there. On the other side, if someone says that they should all be able to be picked up, you can say you'd end up with a small cabin being full of useless junk that you would never think about using. For now, I think avoiding adding them is the best idea.

Its a problem with perception. Especially in gaming.

At first youd be all "wow, so much stuff, great, so immersive". But after a while all that junk will start to irritate you, as you have no use for it and instead of useful items, youl find crap. You get used to it and since it hold no value it becomes literally garbage. And every feature and item will lose it novelty after a while and becomes mainly about it practical implementation and such junk would have none.

Its like carrying a toaster with you while going on a hike.

Id rather have 5 different brands of canned foods, that differ solely by label color, weight and calories content(that would take maybe an hour to make, as its mostly copy/paste), than one pointless mp3 player(that would take a whole day, if not more, because of need for a new model, textures and tags).

I like #1, #3, #5, #9, #12 the most. #9 and #12 the most important since it's a gaming mechanics.

But if you could take rabbits with you or drag them on significant distances it destroyes the risk of collecting the corpse and the purpose of making a fire near it. Then 15-20kg rabits could probably work, but it's ridiculous, because they should weight around 1-2kg. Maybe we could allow player to take killed rabbits, if we could significantly (I would say 5 times) decrease the value of their furs and guts. If for furs we could just increase cothes requirements 5 times, but it's a problem with guts that would involve the change of all current values throughout the game. So, it's no go. I don't really know how to appropriately solve this problem.

The solution might be to increase your effective distance when you're near a fire? So that you can gather corpses (and by the way wood) from more distance?

On 5/14/2017 at 5:45 AM, Dirmagnos said:

Id rather have 5 different brands of canned foods, that differ solely by label color, weight and calories content(that would take maybe an hour to make, as its mostly copy/paste), than one pointless mp3 player(that would take a whole day, if not more, because of need for a new model, textures and tags).

What you said about the new textures makes a lot of sense with how much wasted time it would take. However, as opposed to 5 different brands, for now, I think the best course of action is adding more common household items like bread, hot cocoa, canned and frozen vegetables, etc. However, later, when there are a ton of different food items in the game, having multiple brands makes a lot of sense.

Archived