Real Inventory Management and Backpacks

benadryl

In addition to weight, lets add volume into the mix to make this game more challenging and realistic. For example, things that take up more space like the sleeping bag would take up half a backpack space, if you stuff it into the bag. Things that leak or bleed, like raw meat or opened caned food, should have separate containers or plastic bags before you can safely put them into your backpack. The volume system can be similar to system shock and diablo but also with depth in 3 dimensions, so a large 5L jug of water could take up 2 X 2 X 4 volume of backpack space. Maybe put to use that fancy item turning in-game ability to tetris items into the backpack to save space.

The water and cups of tea system also bothers me. Breaks immersion to look at cups of tea stacked in your backpack. Many others have suggested thermos and plastic bottles as found items to hold water and different liquids.

This would also give us the option to make various animal skin backpacks and find different backpacks. There should also be straps and belts to hold various items onto the outside of a backpack, like straps for a gun and sleeping bag. Maybe use those cured guts to upgrade/customize a backpack to carry more stuff on the outside.

So your saying you should have to craft or find water bottles for storing water?

I think this is a good idea but the idea that your sleeping bag would then take up half the space bothers me. The idea is very realistic but this is still a game and I don't know how I'd be able to carry stuff when moving base if you want to carry your bed, and a prybar, and your rifle, and your food, and your sticks, and your water, and your meat, and your lantern, and all the other stuff you need to carry around.

On 4/12/2017 at 2:29 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Large items are usually carried either outside of the bag or attached to it.

I like the idea of finding different backpacks that may provide additional benefits (larger capacity, more side pockets or perhaps belt pockets, more loops to attach your equipment on the outside, etc.) so perhaps this could play a role in a volume & weight based inventory system. Definitely did a lot of backpack shopping before I started thruhiking.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:54 PM, henroe32 said:

I don't know how I'd be able to carry stuff when moving base

Also, I was interested in the idea of a sled for big hauls (relocating home base, for instance) which perhaps only has weight requirements but unlimited size (you can pile things on as high as you want)? There would clearly be downsides to using a sled (e.g. can't sprint, reduced ability to go up inclines, etc.) but could make changing maps much more agreeable process.  Also, if they do ever allow the domestication of animals, sled dogs could be a very interesting way to improve some of those restrictions...

On 4/13/2017 at 5:59 AM, Dirmagnos said:

Large items are usually carried either outside of the bag or attached to it. Knife, hatchet, rifle, bow, sleeping bag, etc.

Yerp. maybe some gamers want to see more of is, Is that what your suggesting? be it rag doll or walking back pack animations?

3 hours ago, nicko said:

Yerp. maybe some gamers want to see more of is, Is that what your suggesting? be it rag doll or walking back pack animations?

Ragdoll or something simpler, more along the lines of classical rpg inventories. Eg, shoulder slot, either bow or rifle; belt slots, expandable; pockets, based on clothing, expandable; hands slot, allowing player to carry 2 primary weapon type items, he just wont be able to perform any action that require hands untill he drops one of those weapons; backpack, expandable/replaceable and droppable. Accessing backpack should take time, maybe another parameter for skills to modify.

Archived