Survive forever!

Docterrok

Scrap metal for mending clothes, and making knifes and hatchets is another well that would run dry eventually. And tool boxes for fixing hacksaws, etc to gather that scrap   ..... fire starting is but the first push down the snowy slope to your inevitable demise I'm afraid

It's always good to be able to start a fire outdoors whenever you need to or in an emergency. The magnifying glasses are great but they don't work all the time.

If you get cabin fever and it is night or a storm, a magnifying glass won't help much.

You also can't use them in the fishing huts.

Getting cabin fever is another symptom of failing to plan ahead.  You have the risk for something like a day before the actual affliction sets in.  You could press F once every couple hours of playing the game and check for the risk.  Better yet, spend a couple in-game hours outside every day cooking, making water, fishing, gathering fuel or trekking to avoid the risk entirely.

I think the thing about Cabin Fever that trips up a lot of people is that they think they must sleep outside at night.  The condition loss from exhaustion is very slow -- as slow as not eating.   You could spend some time outdoors to clear the condition doing non-sleep stuff, then sleep in a bed.

41 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

You also can't use them in the fishing huts.

Not true.  Magnifier does work in a fishing hut stove.

Back on topic:  I'd love to see a bow drill or some form of other primitive fire making added to the game.  But it's already perfectly possible to survive forever on every difficulty, just cook/make water for a few days at a time.  Beach combing is the other infinite resupply mechanic.  In interloper I get enough cloth, saplings and scrap metal to stay ahead of my needs by beach combing for one in-game hour every few days.

I think the real "killer" would ultimately be food poisoning, infection etc.   It would take a long time to get to the point (sooner on the more difficult levels) of running out of all antibiotics, etc.  but it would happen.  

9 minutes ago, Jolan said:

I think the real "killer" would ultimately be food poisoning, infection etc.   It would take a long time to get to the point (sooner on the more difficult levels) of running out of all antibiotics, etc.  but it would happen.  

It could, although cooking 5 takes a lot of the risk away (maybe too much).  Infection though... good point.  It's been a while since I tested an untreated infection... is it always fatal?

BTW, medicines do wash up and can be gathered via beachcoming.  I've picked up loads of painkillers, and some old man's beard.   I can't recall picking up antibiotics or reishi mushrooms however.

if you can't figure out how to use the magnifier inside, you can try finding a windbreak near your door or your fishing hut etc, build a fire there, now that one can re-light fires.... you light that one then use a brand to light one inside the hut if needed. Do not underestimate the power of a few sticks and an hour tucked in a little wind break making water or heating up some food, or just yourself should the rest of the weather cooperate. you do not always need to sleep but it helps....until a bear comes.... lol. he ain't afraid of no fire...

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

It could, although cooking 5 takes a lot of the risk away (maybe too much).  Infection though... good point.  It's been a while since I tested an untreated infection... is it always fatal?

BTW, medicines do wash up and can be gathered via beachcoming.  I've picked up loads of painkillers, and some old man's beard.   I can't recall picking up antibiotics or reishi mushrooms however.

I hadn't found any while beach combing, but finding it could keep you going.  Whether or not infection kills you depends on what your condition is at the start of the infection and how good your rest shelter is.  So it can be a losing battle in the wrong conditions.  Which is pretty much the story of TLD. :)

1 hour ago, Jolan said:

I hadn't found any while beach combing, but finding it could keep you going.  Whether or not infection kills you depends on what your condition is at the start of the infection and how good your rest shelter is.  So it can be a losing battle in the wrong conditions.  Which is pretty much the story of TLD. :)

Whats the point of living because it's all over in the blink of an eye and before you know it rigor mortis sets in. If you don't know where that's from then it's another great movie you've missed out on.

Archived