Binoculars

henroe32

There is a lot of discussion with a couple of just really bad points.

Binoculars would be invaluable. And I dont think they would neccesarily be a problem with the "rendering" distance, plenty of binoculars in games are set in a way that they increase the rendering distance by default but only to your visible window, meaning you would be able to see animals (entities) with them that you would not see with your "naked" eye. This is not that unrealistical (only a bit) and can decrease the performance strain they would potentionally have instead. 

General binoculars are not that easily cracked - don't compare the real deal to some chinese knock-off you had as a kid. Most of them are pretty durable and heavy, and unless it would fell lens-down on some sharp rock, I doubt they would crack. Of course talking about the old-timey binoculars, not some plastic modern crap either, just some good ol solid metal material. I don't think they need to be breakable or fixable/unfixable. I imagine the same kind of tool like Storm lantern - also has durability, but cannot be damaged or destroyed.

TONS of tools and equipment in game is "situational" and to claim that just because it is situational it shouldn't be in game is stupid. Ropes, rifles, magnifying glass, flashlight, etc... binoculars would have a great potential in hunting as well, especially for glassing which is a favorable method of locating your prey in real life hunting. On top of that, their use would be limited by weather, light and by density of forest growth and other obstacles in current region.

Archived