Socks as emergency mittens

Jolan

I would love to be able to use socks as emergency mittens.  Basically the only real difference between a sock and a mitten is shape and/or a heel or thumb.  I'm not seeing them as adding much warmth or wind protection, maybe a degree or two, and slowing down the whole frostbite on your hands.  Maybe similar to driving gloves?

@Mel GuilleProbably not, they'd just be a stop gap and most socks are loose enough you can still grab things.  I've done it while camping, not ideal, but functional.  Then as soon as you have proper mittens or gloves - back to being socks.  They also make handy pot holders. :)

Back in the 60's my family was less than affluent, so me and my 4 siblings used socks for mittens all the time. They were just as warm as the wool mitts my mother would make and sometimes warmer. Until they got wet of course, I remember having the same problem with the mitts though and that is why we would use socks as a back up. We would also wear the socks over our mitts on really cold days.

We would never wear them to school though, we would rather freeze. Nothing says "beat me up" to other kids quite like wearing socks for mitts.

I don't know about any of you but I generally wear my socks on my feet. 

Another cool thing that could be added to the game would be that your feet blister from walking to much if you have the wrong sized shoes or things like bad shoes on. The risk of these could increase massively if you don''t wear socks

34 minutes ago, henroe32 said:

I don't know about any of you but I generally wear my socks on my feet. 

Another cool thing that could be added to the game would be that your feet blister from walking to much if you have the wrong sized shoes or things like bad shoes on. The risk of these could increase massively if you don''t wear socks

Would that really add much to the gameplay though? It's supposed to be negative but I've never heard of blisters being fatal, or even hindering movement all that much. 

20 minutes ago, eyeofthetiger said:

Would that really add much to the gameplay though? It's supposed to be negative but I've never heard of blisters being fatal, or even hindering movement all that much. 

Yes but if you continue walking they can become blood blisters which are even worse. When a regular blister pops you end up with an area of unprotected, underdeveloped skin which hurts but a blood blister has filled with blood meaning that walking on it is extremely painful to the point where you limp around and even sometimes have to bandage your foot to protect against infection and stop it from bleeding. 

Trust me, a blood blister is not something you want in your life as it impairs you for almost a week.

1 hour ago, eyeofthetiger said:

I consider this idea to be rather overkill in general, but good feet health is essential to survival. Blisters can lead to infections, that in turn can lead to gangrene. Another thing to consider is the fact that poorly insulated feet freeze easily. Again, frostbite and gangrene. Blood poisoning is also serious issue that often ends with death. So on and so forth.

Player could survive, its would be hard but possible, with just one arm, but having just one operational leg would be pretty much the death of player.

5 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

If we start thinking about multi-purpose clothing items, where do we stop? Longjohns could become an emergency scarf. I already feel people thinking they can wear their mittens as socks, if need be.

Actually that's a fairly good idea for a Longjohn scarf. Mitten socks wouldn't really work though as they're missing a heel.

6 hours ago, Hotzn said:

If we start thinking about multi-purpose clothing items, where do we stop? Longjohns could become an emergency scarf. I already feel people thinking they can wear their mittens as socks, if need be.

no doubt, because we roll like that!  slap the longjohns on your head and tie off the legs like a harleyquin hat :D !  

But my suggestion was really a stop gap suggestion.  I was running with two pairs of socks on my feet and no hand covering, so, frostbite.  It would have made more sense to put one of those puppies on my hands, you know to keep the fingers a little while longer. :) 

Archived