Mountaineering rope

eyeofthetiger

This is a really minor thing, but wouldn't one usually tie some knots along the rope before deploying it for something a little easier to grip? Perhaps that's a little too much of a design concern, since I don't think it would change much about the way the character climbs. Also, I wish there was an ability to take off your pack, tie to the bottom of the rope, and then haul it up or let it down after or before you climb. Maybe that's unrealistic, I'm not sure, it's just something I thought of when I saw a post about having various backpacks.

15 minutes ago, eyeofthetiger said:

This is a really minor thing, but wouldn't one usually tie some knots along the rope before deploying it for something a little easier to grip? Perhaps that's a little too much of a design concern, since I don't think it would change much about the way the character climbs. Also, I wish there was an ability to take off your pack, tie to the bottom of the rope, and then haul it up or let it down after or before you climb. Maybe that's unrealistic, I'm not sure, it's just something I thought of when I saw a post about having various backpacks.

What would you imagine the trade-off would be for hauling up your pack separately? Simply the time it would take to complete the action? Perhaps if you fatigued and dropped it there would be a chance at ruining some items? Interesting idea!

48 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

What would you imagine the trade-off would be for hauling up your pack separately? Simply the time it would take to complete the action? Perhaps if you fatigued and dropped it there would be a chance at ruining some items? Interesting idea!

Main tradeoff has to be the risk of losing your items and the time it takes vs saving fatigue. I would think that nobody would use this if it used the same amount of fatigue in total and added the risk of losing items. The risk of losing or damaging items can come by dropping the rope like you said, or the pack opening like HockeyNut said, but I also thought if the person lifts it by dragging it over the edge, what if the rope's condition reaches 0 while doing this, then maybe it could snap and you're stuck on the cliff with no items and only the long way around.  Maybe that's a bit much but that risk could be mitigated by simply checking the condition of the rope before doing it.

On 3/30/2017 at 0:44 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

longer time increasing your freeze chance versus the greater fatigue drain of a full pack climb?  And of course the possibility of breakage from dropping.  Actually, if you were to ever impliment a climbing skill.... I'll stop now. :) 

Archived