Let me make a snowman

Cosquake

Interesting suggestions. You mentioned using it to preserve meat -- what specifically were you imagining? Survivors can already extend the life of their meat by leaving it outside. Were you thinking of adding snow to an inside container to create an icebox or cooler?

13 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

Interesting suggestions. You mentioned using it to preserve meat -- what specifically were you imagining? Survivors can already extend the life of their meat by leaving it outside. Were you thinking of adding snow to an inside container to create an icebox or cooler?

YES PLEASE THIS!!!!

11 hours ago, Cosquake said:

So I should be able to pick up snow and use it right? (I'm excluding the snow shelter). I'd like to use it preserve meats for longer periods of time. Other than that, maybe using snowballs to scare game into the path of wolves. 

AND THIS!!!!

However, I have a bad shoulder so I cannot throw super far, not sure how easy it would be to do so without already scaring them by being close. Unless you were up high and throwing said snowball down to spook prey towards a predator.

54 minutes ago, AZHockeyNut said:

However, I have a bad shoulder so I cannot throw super far, not sure how easy it would be to do so without already scaring them by being close. Unless you were up high and throwing said snowball down to spook prey towards a predator.

While certainly possible and you've got nothing to lose for trying if this were implemented I'd like it to have a higher rate of failure than our other determent methods (flares, brands, and torches). The snowball could either spook the wolf so it flees... or startle the wolf so it attacks!

45 minutes ago, cekivi said:

While certainly possible and you've got nothing to lose for trying if this were implemented I'd like it to have a higher rate of failure than our other determent methods (flares, brands, and torches). The snowball could either spook the wolf so it flees... or startle the wolf so it attacks!

YES!!! and it should totally piss off the bears! like run at double speed to attack you! if it aggravates the wolves or bears,  perhaps it could add to the damage they cause?

There should be a % chance randomization that it spooks the prey (bunnies, deer) in the direction opposite your intentions . meaning you are throwing at a bunny hoping to scare it towards a snare, yet you scare it into a frenzied run in another direction, or you try to scare a deer and it rather than spooking it to run towards some wolves, it runs right at you!  Besides, if a deer runs at you and hits you (this can currently happen) it should hurt....you..... 

2 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

Yes exactly.

Another cool thing would be to use the hacksaw to make actual iceblocks.  Go back to the old school icebox.  Its always bothered me that we just leave stuff lying around outside.  Plus, who really wants to wander out into a blizzard at 4 am because you're feeling peckish.  Though in truth, this would be most interesting as an option if/when seasons get implimented.    

Interior ice box would be nice, but im not quite sure what player could use as insulation.

Exterior one makes much more sense. Its less convenient, but its far far far better option than current absurd crap with simply leaving meat outside on your porch.

7 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Interior ice box would be nice, but im not quite sure what player could use as insulation.

Oddly enough the freezer would work for some time provided the house doesn't get too warm. It's already insulated.

Barring that hay, straw, or sawdust are your best bets for quick insulators.

14 hours ago, cekivi said:

Oddly enough the freezer would work for some time provided the house doesn't get too warm. It's already insulated.

Barring that hay, straw, or sawdust are your best bets for quick insulators.

But that is the problem, if you set up base in house with stove, then using it will rise interior temperature above freezing point for long enough to make stuff in freezer to thaw.

Alternative for that would be cooking outside, but then again, having ice box outside would be better in this case still.

To be honest, id rise floors, make fire to thaw ground beneath it, dig a hole, make a box and then cover it. If done right and near edge of building, even if there is warm in the house, cold from earth should keep stuff in the ice box frozen. I think.

9 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

But that is the problem, if you set up base in house with stove, then using it will rise interior temperature above freezing point for long enough to make stuff in freezer to thaw.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Pleasant Valley root cellar. That'd be fine probably until spring. A few of the other basements would probably work too.

Archived