I made a mapping program for TLD, tracks you like GPS showing Whiteberry's maps

Sofox

10 hours ago, Sofox said:

First up, I understand everyone's perspective on this. On one hand, people should be able to do whatever they want with their own legally purchased single player games; on the other hand, this can clearly go against the developers intentions and lead to an inferior/subpar/different gameplay experience (especially since so many games already have a map, playing a game without one is a new and different challenge). I was aware of such points going in (I didn't use the program during my own playthrough), but I decided to leave it to everyone's own personal decision whether to use it or not.

I even people opposed to the program still appreciated the work that went into making it. Thank you! And thank you everyone else who appreciated and complimented me for the program. I do appreciate it.

To all: I honestly hope I haven't been aggressive or antagonistic with my posts. I discuss posts, not people and I try to maintain civility, respect and manners in my replies. I truly admire the time, talent and effort that went into the software and I think I have been clear about that. It is a significant accomplishment and I have no doubt that it will be used and enjoyed by many, for better or worse. I can attest however that after viewing Whiteberry's maps, the game's shiny edge was noticeably duller and I was disappointed by this loss. The certain method of making any game wholly uninteresting is to cheat, and this seems to be even more true with TLD. Buyer beware.

Now, I also understand and concur to a degree with Sofox regarding players having the right to do as they wish with their games, to play them as they will. Having said that, I must insist on a challenge to prove that this is not a cheat (or hack, whatever nomenclature suits you) and, when failing in that impossible task, then provide a reason why the topic should remain.

I realize I am strongly pushing an agenda here, but until the truth is admitted unanimously, nothing else can be said or done. How can one know what to do with or even how to discuss something until it is clear to all what it is exactly?

I believe I have been clear and will not post again on this topic. My apologies if I have tested anyone's patience.

Edited by Carbon
  • Upvote 2

Great program.

I have no intention in using it, as i already use whiteberry maps and are quite familiar with terrain. It provides me with exactly perfect level of immersion.

But i see no problems with other people using it. After all, there is still no compass in the game, so id say its justified shortcut.

• Upvote 1

I'm kinda totally dependant on Whiteberry's maps so... if that happens there's not much I can do until one is created. I really don't have the patience/interest/inclination to map the area myself, so I'll either throw in a quick doodle, placeholder map, segment from the overworld map, or just a text image saying "this map is intentionally left blank".

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sofox said:

I'm kinda totally dependant on Whiteberry's maps so... if that happens there's not much I can do until one is created. I really don't have the patience/interest/inclination to map the area myself, so I'll either throw in a quick doodle, placeholder map, segment from the overworld map, or just a text image saying "this map is intentionally left blank".

Is there any way for players to load custom maps into your program? Or @whiteberry-toarda's spoiler free maps?

• Upvote 2

The TLD maps in the program are already spoiler free, the only one that isn't spoiler free is Forlorn Muskeg since there's only one map version for that.

As for loading custom maps, no, but would you like this as a feature? (The program is open source so can be modified but I understand not everyone has the skillset for doing that)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sofox said:

As for loading custom maps, no, but would you like this as a feature? (The program is open source so can be modified but I understand not everyone has the skillset for doing that)

Again, I don't think I'll be using your program anytime soon but I know a lot of players like making their own maps/sketches as they play. Your program would likely get a lot more interest from the exploration crowd if there was a way to input hand drawn maps. For me, I would probably use your program if I could annotate a blank canvas as I explored that was overlaid with my location (e.g. use your program to make a custom map). However, I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how difficult that would be to make O.o

• Upvote 1

the ability to use annotations....meaning I could Drop a flag (a dot, anything) on the image of the map (you save the annotation overlay in a file maybe using xml?) the x,y of your app window by pixel I guess.

so in the screenshot you have on your project page for ML, there is a red dot, that is where you are I presume (have not loaded the tool yet) So you give me a button that is Mark this spot, I get a few characters or one line of text in a text box. You save the text box info along with the pixel info of where I am, then you have an icon that indicates a note saved for that spot. you overlay the icons on the map image based on the x,y of each note. click the icon and the note appears (maybe better as tooltip?)

just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Awesome work @Sofox! I am not going to use it, because exploration is something i really enjoy in TLD. Still i think you had a great idea and did a good job in implementing this, especially interesting, that TLD isn't the only game you support. So, even if i won't use it -- keep up the great work!

Custom markers and notes, in various forms and shapes.

Also, in terms of "loading own maps". If would be nice to have option to load custom jpegs for each region, Once upon a time, when i was playing UO, there was an automap program, where player was supposed to input his coordinates(on first run), as program did not automatically acquire them(after that tracking worked, but first location input needed to be manual to pinpoint player initial location in game world). Same could be done in tLD. Load custom map, get your coordinates from debug screenshot(F8), input them into program and it adjusts player position to map, as long as map coordinate system is compatible with default settings, eg every X cm on map equal to X (k)m on map.

Maybe im overcomplicating things.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎08 at 10:00 PM, Tejas_Stalker said:

I found a lot of errors with some of the Whiteberry maps.  Is there any specific place where those can be reported?

She has a forum post where she was uploading her maps.

• Upvote 1

Thanks cekivi

I found errors with the Forlorn Muskeg map.  I also found places I think were done poorly on Timberwolf Mountain.  In addition, I found places in Pleasant Valley & Mystery Lake were either inaccurate or outright missing some features.  While I hate to be critical of such fine work, I can't imagine someone who puts so much time and effort into them wouldn't appreciate some constructive criticism.

Speaking of that I have a ton of error reports to post using the F-8 key feature to Hinterland.

The trouble is...it's more fun to keep playing than to bug people about bugs.  In fact, the whole reason I started playing TLD again was to take a break from being a Game Tester for a complete overhaul Mod that I have played non-stop for a full year ( one single game ) and prior to that being a Game Tester for over 2 years on another one.  I've also been the sole admin for almost 4 years now for a major game studio's Facebook page producing daily content which is very time consuming.  As my old habits are hard to stop, I find myself playing the TLD at the same time as I compilate various bugs, errors and other items needing attention that I encounter.

Thanks again for the link.

Edited by Tejas_Stalker
  • Upvote 2

@Tejas_Stalker I'm sure she'd welcome the updates, but keep in mind the game has been updated a couple of times since she last updated the maps.  So it may be less of an error and more of a Hinterland changed the landscape again?! moment. :) Particularly when it comes to rocks and resources.

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2017 at 11:52 PM, Sofox said:

Okay, the map dynamically resizing when the map window has been resized has been implemented. You can download the latest version here: https://bitbucket.org/Sofox/wakemapper/downloads/WakeMapper64.exe 

Let me know if you have any issues with it, had to change a few things and tried to test it as best as I could.

awesome I will download and give it a whirl.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm for this. I will say, I would appreciate if we can get an ingame option. maybe ablility to use pages from an old book and make our own map as we explore. that way the surprise is still there but we have a reference. I know a lot of you are hard core, but for a lot of people in real life and game things often look the same and easily confused, so making your own maps and markers is a logical thing. 

3 hours ago, Amazombie said:

I would appreciate if we can get an ingame option. maybe ablility to use pages from an old book and make our own map as we explore. that way the surprise is still there but we have a reference.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what we're getting, in the next sandbox update!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...