Be able to read books in bed for warm bonus - Credit to twitch streamer Grizzlybeer77

panic4u

While watching https://www.twitch.tv/grizzlybeer77 he wished we could research skill books in bed for the warmth bonus. I think it is such a good suggestion that I got his permission to post it here.

I imagine the sleeping UI would get a read book option similar to Pass Time. The Read Book in bed UI could also grant additional condition recovery.

This would be especially useful on Interloper early game in colder places like the Draft Dodgers cabin with a blizzard howling outside.

What do people think? 

8 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Yes, I asked for that to. That's the perfect example of which logic still missing in TLD.

Ah nice. I did a quick google to see if it was already suggested but my google foo failed me.

TLD logic does isolate activities like I must expertly craft water

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2017 at 5:05 PM, panic4u said:

I imagine the sleeping UI would get a read book option similar to Pass Time. The Read Book in bed UI could also grant additional condition recovery.

Makes sense that it should be easily adaptable to do so.  I would also like to see the option of passing time while sitting on a bench or stool or especially when the weather is bad outside, or preferably in one of those heavy overstuffed chairs like at Camp Office.  

On 4/14/2017 at 4:37 AM, elloco999 said:

It makes sense to me, I read in bed all the time :)

Hey, @elloco999,

i was just wondering... as a TLD Backer, do you get to have a little more input into the game's development process as compared to other players?  Sure would be a nice perk imho if you did.  So if you do, wink wink, tell em' this is a great idea!  thanks!

No @piddy3825, the Hinterland team appreciates all feedback they get. They don't value the feedback a backer gives more than that of any other. I do believe there are some backers who get to contribute to the game in some way like naming a location or creating some story content, but I didn't back on a high enough level for that.

Back on the topic of reading in bed: I do think this should only be allowed when there is enough light in the room. Either daylight coming in through the window or light from a lamp or something. But that is already a function of reading atm so that should not be a problem.

2 hours ago, elloco999 said:

Back on the topic of reading in bed: I do think this should only be allowed when there is enough light in the room. Either daylight coming in through the window or light from a lamp or something. But that is already a function of reading atm so that should not be a problem.

In game play, i have noticed that i can read without artificial light with less than one hour of darkness remaining.  dont know if that is a glitch or if i should report that as such, but it does allow me to dedicate 1-2 hours of reading each day without wasting too much daylight.  i would also like to be able to sit in a chair and read...

8 hours ago, cekivi said:

This would be a good time to put in a plug for good ol' candles to read in bed by ;) 

That would be a nice and welcome addition to the game for both crafting and providing additional lighting.  I spend more time fishing now since being able to recover fish oil for the lamps, so it would make sense that we should use some of that good ole bear grease to make some candles.  I still would like to sit in a chair and read by candle light.  

• 7 months later...

I thought about something like in snow shelter. What about "camera" from bed/bedroll. Let's say you're just like laying in bed and be able to use light sources, books, repair clothing, eating food, just like everything. It should be easy to implement and it would make a nice feature.

16 hours ago, Morphe said:

I thought about something like in snow shelter. What about "camera" from bed/bedroll. Let's say you're just like laying in bed and be able to use light sources, books, repair clothing, eating food, just like everything. It should be easy to implement and it would make a nice feature.

Yes !

Ahhh yes I did suggest the same thing on an old thread of mine, and the possibility to read while "sitting" in a chair as well. I'll take the chance to repost here the UI mockups I made at that time hoping that some of the devs will notice and fancy them. ;)

Of course the UI looks different now, I guess I'll have to update my mockups! :D

On 12/26/2016 at 10:08 PM, Kaisentlaia said:

The chair screen could look like this:exampleUI-chair.jpg

And bed screen could look like this:
exampleUI-bed.jpg

Archived