If making arrows gives archery a boost, shout making line, hooks and tackle do the same?

AZHockeyNut

If making arrows gives archery a boost, shout making line, hooks and tackle do the same?

Perhaps not each in and of themselves or fishing would be too easy to level up, but, if you make the line it takes time to cure the gut, then you have to make or find hooks, then you have to make tackle. So, in that way it is somewhat similar to finding the feathers, curing the sapling, processing the cured sapling into arrows, finding the arrowhead or forging them, and crafting the arrow. Albeit it takes longer so if that is 1 point, then perhaps the tackle is 1/2 point? however, it is a similar process in game and I think, perhaps, it should offer a similar reward towards your proficiency especially since one can imaging that after making arrow upon arrow you would become better at it (make them better, faster, stronger, more accurate, etc.) and you would do the same with tackle, (higher likelihood of a catch staying caught and not slipping off, sharper/batter hooks, stronger line, less breaks etc.)  Just my $.02

I don't disagree that if one kind of crafting is going to give you a tangible, long-term benefit, then other types of crafting should as well. But if that's the case, then what about crafting clothes? Doing that enough, you'd expect to become better at it, make clothes that are more durable, that lose their condition more slowly. Tools as well, like the improvised knife and hatchet. Maybe the issue isn't with the fact that crafting hooks, line and tackle doesn't provide a bonus to fishing. Maybe the issue is with the fact that crafting arrows provides a bonus to archery.

What if there were another skill on the list? We can call it Crafting. Now, I know that the items we craft in the game fall into numerous different categories, requiring various skills and disciplines in real life. But for the sake of simplifying game-play, let's keep all crafting in one group. As you level up your Crafting skill, the items you craft become better and better. Tools lose less durability per use, items that decay over time lose less condition per day, and items that can "break" become less likely to do so. Now, this skill would almost definitely have to be the hardest to increase the level of, because it would definitely be the easiest to exploit.

In the end, I think it would be better if crafting things didn't raise other skills at all, though I am glad that arrows raise your archery skill cause I'd never be able to level mine up without it lol. But, in all honesty, crafting your own hooks, line and tackle won't make you better at fishing, any more than crafting your own arrows will make you better at shooting a bow.

@DragonXIII pretty much sums up my point perfectly. One could easily go either way on it. I prefer that things like skills build upon one another so there becomes an incentive to attain them but that is my personal preference. I was more or less wondering what others think or wondering aloud if it were per chance a bug or something in the works for a crafting type skill. Who knows... we get so little info on what is coming...big teases the HL folks are lol.

Archived