Serious - Deer carcass

palbi

Hi,

this is the first time I encounter the situation, so I don't know how often (or always) this occurs. I was making a 4hour fishing session in an Ice fishing hut at Coastal Highway, when heard a wolf catching a deer nearby. I thout, OK, later I go and see it. When the 4hours passed, I left the hut, and the deer carcass was just 38 steps away. I saw the wolf leaving, so I waited till it goes far enough, and went to check the carcass. Here's the result (not good):

deer2.jpg

deer1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

If you wait till the wolf is done and leaves, then this is what happens, the wolf eats all the meat and ruins the hide and guts. If you chase off the wolf before he's done, there will still be some meat left and the hide and gut are harvestable as normal.

Sam

Ah, so this is how it works. Thx!

On the other hand then, I don't understand the pre-generated deer carcasses. There could be some meat found, and guts and hide. Would this mean, those deers were not caught/found by wolves? A bit confusing.

1 minute ago, palbi said:

On the other hand then, I don't understand the pre-generated deer carcasses. There could be some meat found, and guts and hide. Would this mean, those deers were not caught/found by wolves? A bit confusing.

I think it has to do with the difference between how "new" deer carcasses are generated in the game world, vs how the pre-generated ones are. The pre-generated carcasses have meat, hide and guts in them, which will be at a varying degree of decay when you harvest them. BUT, the decay mechanics don't kick in for the pre-generated carcasses until you interact with them. If you just leave them alone they'll remain intact indefinitely, like any other item with a "condition" in the game. For new carcasses, the decay mechanism kicks in as soon as the animal dies, whether you killed it or a wolf did.

My guess is that the wolf's "eating" cycle is simply an acceleration of the game's decay mechanics, rather than a separately coded type of event. It cycles through the parts of the deer a piece at a time, causing their condition to decay rapidly. If you scare the wolf off before it's finished, whatever parts haven't had their decay accelerated yet will remain so you can harvest them. If you leave it, and wait until the wolf is done, everything will have been ruined by the time you get there, as you have seen.

My advice? If you've got a weapon, take a shot at the wolf's head while his eating. Worst case, the shot scares him off and you can have your turn with the carcass. Best case, you've got a whole deer AND a wolf to harvest. ;)

Archived