Sharpening your knife and hatchet - when?

Ultimateauthority

I wonder if maybe there's something else going on. @Timber Wolf, did you happen to note the condition loss from the tools themselves during your extensive testing? Maybe the knife is meant to be the "best" not because it is significantly better than other tools during the struggles, but because it is made for the purpose and therefore degrades less through this use? I don't know, just thinking out loud maybe. Anyways, excellent work! :) 

13 minutes ago, DragonXIII said:

did you happen to note the condition loss from the tools themselves during your extensive testing? Maybe the knife is meant to be the "best" not because it is significantly better than other tools during the struggles, but because it is made for the purpose and therefore degrades less through this use?

All of the tools are the same condition before and after the fights. 

Back in .256, the screen displayed the tool in use during the fight along with a percentage. 

256_struggle.thumb.jpg.4ac9f278fbbd8f83f4bf951cfa312e3f.jpg

I presume the percentage was meant to indicate a boost in damage to the wolf over what you would get bare handed.  So, the higher the percentage the quicker the fight should end as the tool is more effective.  The knife at +30%, hatchet at +20% and prybar at +10%.  However, the results show the exact opposite of that.  And while I was having the fights, the prybar ones did usually end quicker.

Also, I think someone may have already done some preliminary protection stat analysis. I just can't remember which forum it's in.

Come to think of it @Timber Wolf you should probably re-post your charts. If someone ever goes looking for them they probably won't think to check a forum on sharpening :D

58 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Also, I think someone may have already done some preliminary protection stat analysis. I just can't remember which forum it's in.

Yeah, that was me. ;)  You can't find them, because I posted it all under the test branch section which is no longer available.

58 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Come to think of it @Timber Wolf you should probably re-post your charts. If someone ever goes looking for them they probably won't think to check a forum on sharpening :D

Sure, I can do that.  Wolf Fight Condition Loss Tests

1 hour ago, DragonXIII said:

I wonder if maybe there's something else going on. @Timber Wolf, did you happen to note the condition loss from the tools themselves during your extensive testing? Maybe the knife is meant to be the "best" not because it is significantly better than other tools during the struggles, but because it is made for the purpose and therefore degrades less through this use? I don't know, just thinking out loud maybe. Anyways, excellent work! :) 

The game picks the "best" item based on each items damage scale percent, item condition is only used to see if the item is at 0%.  From my playing, the game always pick a knife if I have one that is not broken.  I have not polled the game for the actual damage scale values.

Also, the game at this point does not use the condition of the item in the struggle mechanic.  Item tap strength, and fatigue (not stamina) are the main factors in a struggle.

This is a great and informative post, thanks for all the data! Does anybody know if there's much difference between the forged weapons and their standard counterparts?

On another note for realism sake, a damaged/dull weapon wouldn't necessarily deal less damage than a sharp weapon. A cut or stab wound from a damaged blade would cause more bleeding than from a perfectly sharp blade, and it's much more difficult to the resulting wound to heal. This is why surgeons always use the sharpest blades available. 

Archived