Armchairs

Dug

I doubt I'm the first to suggest this, but I couldn't find anything using the forum search.

I'm always reluctant to break down armchairs for resources. There's something about them that makes a cabin homely - especially the one in the Trapper's Cabin, sat in front of the stove, as it is.

I'd love to be able to use an armchair to pass time or research from a book. Even doing things like clothing repairs makes more sense to be sat down rather than standing stiffly in the middle of a room. They could give a small warmth bonus (certainly less than half of what a bed does) from being partly enclosed by insulating materials. Sitting in an armchair in front of a lit stove would also bring you into the heating range of the fire (I always feel weird stood next to the armchair in the Trapper's Cabin whilst tending the fire).

You should also be able to sleep in them - again, they shouldn't be as good as a bed (less restful, less warm), and given that I've not yet seen an armchair without a bed nearby, they'd probably see little use, but sometimes, you just can't be bothered to get up from the armchair to go to bed - this might just be "realism for the sake of realism" on my part, but I do love a good armchair.

There are so many things in TLD where you need to make choices. Even the humble shelf is a toss-up between harvesting for resource, or leaving for utility purpose, but the humble armchair is just resource. It'd be good to have to sacrifice something to gain that resource.

I like that suggestion. Since I started playing the long dark I pretend sitting on that armchair by crouching in front of it facing the stove.

Even outside I crouch for example to litht a fire. I imagine sitting indian style in front of the campfire...

• 3 months later...

Another good idea that makes sense. With calorie burning being such an important aspect of the game, and the fact that sitting during activities that allow sitting burns less calories than standing and doing them....you would think sitting would already be a possibility. Nope.

Archived