ultrawide monitor and game slow-down

Patchouli

I posted this on the steam board, but I thought I should post it here instead:

I haven't played in a couple of months. I just purchased a new ultrawide monitor and thought it would be fun to see how the game looked. When I start the game, even at the option screen, it is very laggy and slow. I was borrowing my other monitor and had to return it, so I can't check to see if that is the problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the slow-down?

I had the same issue recently with my 1060 6Gig hooked up via HDMI to a 32 inch flat panel.  The region of interest was the derailment while I was fielding that dead deer you always run across there.  It was a snowstorm and I'd get some pretty significant frame drops while look up at the snow and the trees, but minding the fire in front of me was a solid 60+ fps.  I didn't have a snow storm to experience my next session with the game, but I did plug my video into my 22 inch monitor via DVI and the game was running at a solid clip of 60+

I just chalked it up to perhaps heat, but my card stayed cool.  But it was indeed something.  

Here's some info.  Let me know if you need anything else.

Processor:  Intel Core i7-4790k CPU @ 4.00 GHz

Installed Memory:  16 GB

GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

Hard drives:  Samsung SSD 250 GB + Seagate 2 TB drive

Perhaps your the resolution you are attempting? The weak link in your otherwise strong system specs relates directly to the issue you are having; the 780 at very high resolutions (VRAM if not pixel-pushing power) is likely the main issue. I was also lagging heavily in some areas with a 1070 @ 1440p; turning off V-sync cured this problem. Perhaps...?

so was are the dimensions specs of this ultra wide monitor?

and are you sure its not your GPU (graphics card) that is not coping with it?

Try running latest doom? see what that does lol. (beware download  is huge).

I love how TLD is not huge in file/download sizes.

13 hours ago, Carbon said:

Perhaps your the resolution you are attempting? The weak link in your otherwise strong system specs relates directly to the issue you are having; the 780 at very high resolutions (VRAM if not pixel-pushing power) is likely the main issue. I was also lagging heavily in some areas with a 1070 @ 1440p; turning off V-sync cured this problem. Perhaps...?

I tried that and it didn't help.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

13 hours ago, nicko said:

so was are the dimensions specs of this ultra wide monitor?

and are you sure its not your GPU (graphics card) that is not coping with it?

Try running latest doom? see what that does lol. (beware download  is huge).

I love how TLD is not huge in file/download sizes.

It could be that my GPU isn't keeping up, but I didn't have a problem before I got the ultrawide monitor.  I was able to run everything in ultra with 0 lag.  Now, everything is herky jerky and there's no way I would survive an animal attack or be able to hunt.

2 hours ago, Patchouli said:

It could be that my GPU isn't keeping up, but I didn't have a problem before I got the ultrawide monitor.  I was able to run everything in ultra with 0 lag.  Now, everything is herky jerky and there's no way I would survive an animal attack or be able to hunt.

This explanation defines a situation where the GPU is struggling. Your ultra-wide monitor is running at a resolution of 2560x1080; I'm not sure what your previous monitor was, but it is likely that it was 1080p which would be 1920x1080; your new setup requires nearly 30% more horizontal pixels, which is a significant increase for a graphics card with 3GB of VRAM, depending on the settings. With more pixels being rendered, you will get perhaps 25 ~ 30% less performance right off the top, across the board.

The Unity engine - upon which TLD is built - is quite different from Doom (using idTech6, running DX11, 12, OpenGL and Vulkan APIs), which actually seems to scale better, so I'm not sure the comparison would produce useful data. Unity uses its own rendering API which simply might not be as efficient as some of the bigger developers engines (Frostbite, Unreal, etc). This isn't so much a defect of Unity; it's open source and as such doesn't have the R&D funds behind it that the major studios enjoy.

Furthermore, TLD uses some features that can create a heavy performance deficit, ambient occlusion (SSAO) being one of them, and quite a serious one. Try scaling back the graphics settings and see what happens. Are your graphics card drivers up to date? Be sure as well that you aren't using any anti-aliasing at the driver level; this would incur a serious performance penalty.

I think that you will simply have to scale back the graphics in TLD or consider buying a more powerful graphics card to power your games. The rest of your system remains very capable for modern titles.

My drivers are up to date.  I did try dropping the settings to the bare minimum and it didn't seem to help much, if at all.  I haven't had issues in other games yet.  If the graphics card is an issue, I can't really do anything about it at present as we're in some financial difficulty.  I'll ask around to see if anyone has a smaller monitor to borrow.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear of your situation but if lowering the settings didn't change anything, then there may be another problem. Heat is the first thing that comes to mind; are you certain that other games run smoothly? If the graphics card or processor get too hot, things will get choppy and end in a crash, either to the desktop or of the system.

Best of luck and keep us (me?) posted. I'm interested in the outcome.

Archived