Basic Bed

Ice Hole

On 5/9/2018 at 5:47 PM, Pillock said:

The fact that you can sleep anywhere you want if you're outdoors, but you can't do the same if you're indoors, forces you into taking an action that feels completely unintuitive and bizarre.

Very true.  This sentence clearly illustrates the problem.

21 hours ago, cekivi said:

Why do I have to go outside to sleep instead of crashing on the chair?

Heck anywhere inside has to be better than outside.

So do you think that a limited number of hours should be spent in a chair.  Then maybe a chance for stiff neck and Will/Astrid complaining about the stiff muscles when trying again to sleep/snooze in a uncomfortable position. 

The stiff muscle needs time to wear off or maybe a new tea (pale yellow and fizzy with a distinct clean refreshing hoppy taste) type to relax muscles?

Snoozing adds to the players repertoire to regain fatigue.  Without having to sleep, currently coffee is the only method to decrease fatigue .  The emergency stim also allows for a temporary increase of fatigue but both coffee and the E-stim are in limited supply.  Snoozing should also negatively affect the player.

When a player is totally exhausted there might be a chance of passing out and snooze for X minutes.  The character could give some clues just before passing out.  The fading vision when health is low could be the correct type of effect.  The character's calories, temperature and hydration could be factors in determining an onset of uncontrolled snoozing.

The player's ability to reduce fatigue is limited and that does make the game difficult.  At the same time this reduces the player ability to use common sense.  Sleep anywhere outdoors using a snow shelter but if you plan on sleeping indoors you have to sleep in a bed. in a truck seat or use the bedroll.

Sleeping on furniture or an upper floor is a decent choice, but in fact sleeping in direct contact with the ground, even indoors, is one of the most common mistakes real people make in survival situations even in more temperate environments than this. Doing such is very dangerous since the Earth is more or less an infinite heat sink (the snow in snow shelters insulate you from the Earth).

That said I do wish you could sleep on chairs and couches at least.

1 hour ago, Riotintheair said:

sleeping in direct contact with the ground, even indoors, is one of the most common mistakes real people make in survival situations even in more temperate environments than this

I don't think the game should disallow you from making mistakes like that, though. Give a heat penalty for sleeping on the floor, and players might learn the lesson - seems like it'd be a fair mechanic to me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, Riotintheair said:

Sleeping on furniture or an upper floor is a decent choice, but in fact sleeping in direct contact with the ground, even indoors, is one of the most common mistakes real people make in survival situations even in more temperate environments than this. Doing such is very dangerous since the Earth is more or less an infinite heat sink (the snow in snow shelters insulate you from the Earth).

The need for a basic bed would be a place where using the bedroll is acceptable.  So in other words it will be impossible to lay the bedroll on a floor that is too cold.  The basic bed needs to be constructed then a bedroll placed on top.  The health regeneration is only available if the character is comfortable.

The need for this type of bed will become more necessary as the seasons change.  The road map indicates the game will progress through four seasons.   So a snow shelter is for winter and in warmer seasons another type.

The Basic Bed is needed you're just not thinking about this fourth dimensionally.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎11 at 5:47 PM, Pillock said:

I don't think the game should disallow you from making mistakes like that, though. Give a heat penalty for sleeping on the floor, and players might learn the lesson - seems like it'd be a fair mechanic to me.

Very true. 

I'd be nice if you could make a bough mattress for an emergency bed but that's definitely something for a whish list.

Also, yes, sleeping in a chair or other "non-bed" furniture should definitely confer some penalty but still be doable.  

Archived