Four suggestions

StitchMySmile

1. Simple spear. Fire hardened tip optional.

2. A class of simple arrows that doesn't require an arrow head. Native Alaskans used a variety of arrows with no actual heads, sharpened wood or blunted depending on target animal. 

3. Ability to sleep on the floor without a bed-roll in interior areas. 

4. Ability to use water tabs without a fire. I may have missed this in the inventory menus but I've only noticed the option to use tabs in the fire menu. Might as well just boil at that point. 

Sandbox is a lot of fun, can't seem to get enough of it. My biggest wish is probably a spear. Great job on the game!

Water tablets can be used from the inventory without a fire. Maybe you missed it? This is a good idea, because purifying water directly takes 1 minute, but it takes 10 minutes on a fire (for some reason). Also, you wrote the '3' twice.

I like some of these suggestions, others not so much.

1. To what end would we need a spear? There's no combat in the game to speak of, except for wolf/bear struggles. Kind of hard to use a spear when the wolf is already on you, and you can't do anything about a bear anyways. I suppose you could use it for fishing, but spear fishing and ice fishing are extremely different, and I don't think it would work. Thrown maybe, as an alternative to rifle/bow-hunting? But this would be incredibly difficult, not just to implement in-game, but also for a person with no experience spear hunting.
  2. This I like a lot. The arrow crafting mechanic could be expanded to include not only simple shafts with no heads (extremely low durability, less bleeding effect maybe?), but also natural materials like flint or bone, which have been used by the Inuit to make arrowheads for thousands of years (again, lower durability, less bleeding effect, possibly unable to harvest arrowheads from broken arrows?).
  3. Sleeping on the floor indoors without a bedroll would be totally mixed. I don't necessarily see the need for it anyways. Most indoor locations I stay at frequently have beds, which should be used for the warmth bonus and to save bedroll durability. If sleeping on the floor were implemented, not only would it not confer the same warmth bonus as a bed or bedroll, but you should not be as well rested. Maybe you recover less fatigue per hour, maybe you can only rest a maximum of 6-8 hours instead of 12, maybe you can only recover 75% of your fatigue bar by sleeping on the floor. However you cut it, I'm not sure it would be worth the trade-off, but in a survival situation I guess you do what you gotta do.

The next time I forget my bedroll at the tail end of the plane certainly wont be the first.

I like that the player is punished for not paying attention to details. I think it would be a happy medium if the "kill time" feature worked without the bedroll. I would still have to walk back to the tail section, but I would not have to actually stare at the fire for 57 game minutes while I stopped to warm up. Better have a stim or a lot of coffee cause that last rope will be a challenge without them.

10 hours ago, Lovehandel said:

The next time I forget my bedroll at the tail end of the plane certainly wont be the first.

I like that the player is punished for not paying attention to details. I think it would be a happy medium if the "kill time" feature worked without the bedroll. I would still have to walk back to the tail section, but I would not have to actually stare at the fire for 57 game minutes while I stopped to warm up. Better have a stim or a lot of coffee cause that last rope will be a challenge without them.

You can already pass time without a bedroll. Just bring up the radial menu, go to campcraft, and click the cards to bring up the Pass Time interface.

On 3/14/2017 at 0:15 PM, DragonXIII said:

I like some of these suggestions, others not so much.

1. To what end would we need a spear? There's no combat in the game to speak of, except for wolf/bear struggles. Kind of hard to use a spear when the wolf is already on you, and you can't do anything about a bear anyways. I suppose you could use it for fishing, but spear fishing and ice fishing are extremely different, and I don't think it would work. Thrown maybe, as an alternative to rifle/bow-hunting? But this would be incredibly difficult, not just to implement in-game, but also for a person with no experience spear hunting.
  2. This I like a lot. The arrow crafting mechanic could be expanded to include not only simple shafts with no heads (extremely low durability, less bleeding effect maybe?), but also natural materials like flint or bone, which have been used by the Inuit to make arrowheads for thousands of years (again, lower durability, less bleeding effect, possibly unable to harvest arrowheads from broken arrows?).
  3. Sleeping on the floor indoors without a bedroll would be totally mixed. I don't necessarily see the need for it anyways. Most indoor locations I stay at frequently have beds, which should be used for the warmth bonus and to save bedroll durability. If sleeping on the floor were implemented, not only would it not confer the same warmth bonus as a bed or bedroll, but you should not be as well rested. Maybe you recover less fatigue per hour, maybe you can only rest a maximum of 6-8 hours instead of 12, maybe you can only recover 75% of your fatigue bar by sleeping on the floor. However you cut it, I'm not sure it would be worth the trade-off, but in a survival situation I guess you do what you gotta do.

I was thinking more for holding a wolf back with the spear. Like a flare but doesn't consume an item. Spear hunting is more for fish or boar I believe. I guess you could javelin the thing. Maybe it wouldn't work for this game. I just wish I had a melee weapon that doesn't require the wolf to already be tearing into me to use it. 

Probably more viable for this game would be the arrowhead thing. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. Like I said, it's a great game with the stuff they already have in it. Just personal wishes. 

8 hours ago, henroe32 said:

I think sleeping on the floor should be allowed but you may suffer from stiffness or something when you awaken 

Depending on the surface you're sleeping on there could be a penalty to recovery due to loss of body heat - or potentially a short lived bonus if you sleep on stone that had been exposed to a fire

On 3/14/2017 at 3:32 PM, Jolan said:

It would be grand to be able to sleep in interior caves without a bedroll.  Maybe they could do the mechanics so its basically just cat napping.

That would be really cold. Caves are cold in the middle of July, and I can't imagine how cold they would be in the dead of winter. Would probably cause hypothermia

@CalNieDaGtarGuy the interior (ones with a loading screen) caves in the game tend to be around 37F (~2.8C) degrees and stay a constant temp.  So with clothes on you can get relatively warm.  So long as you're above 32F (0C) the game doesn't send you into hypothermia.  I wouldn't recommend sleeping bare skin on the rock though.  Caves that don't have a loading screen vary in temperature depending on proximity to the entrance and the current outside air temp.  The temperature varies between caves and depending on weather.  

So the one's I'm proposing would be the loading screen ones.

In real life, proper caves stay pretty much about the same temp all year round (average annual for the region) with deeper caves getting warmer as you go down.

Archived