starting game with affliction.

alone sniper

Yes, why not ? In stalker and Interloper it would make sense because the game heavily suggest that you begin right after the crash (without any plane trace) but in lower difficulty where you can start in a building euh... I suppose that the character was near the building when it crashed

All it does is adding  some spices for experimented players but for newer players it could maybe add some more RNG brutality for the newer players

As a experimented player it would give me a slap on starting precaution

I can barely make it during the first few hours in interloper, having my condition under 70 on the best cases before I find a shelter, and probably losing even more condition the next few first days until I have enough wood and food to settle for a while and not having to run evewhere in the cold with bad clothing. But I liked the idea, it would surely add to the immersion, I just think we would need a way not to die so quickly due to cold on the first hours in interloper then.

A sprained ankle and 79% condition could be very fatal already.

I like the idea, but something more needs to happen. Because on interlopper it would be too hard. Maybe there could be a planechrash that you have to search it and find some supplies, or there would be 4 rosehips right next to where you spawn...

I would be ok with this being an option, but I wouldn't want it to be the default.  Unless they leave me the parachute I clearly dropped down with :) Or maybe make this a challenge - start on the summit of Timberwolf with decreased condition and try to make it to a designated base camp - that could be cool... have the loot levels be set at Interloper levels.

8 hours ago, alone sniper said:

We had a topic about parachute in the past. 

I know, but the thing of it is - there's no plane, no wreckage, no seats, etc.  So if I'm a victim of some sort of an airplane failure (hence the injured status) there's got to be either wreckage or a reason why you're really really far away from the wreckage.  The odds of someone surviving being flung that far from their plane are significantly worse than the odds of having a means of floating down to the earth and surviving the attempt to use it. :) So I want a lightweight, tough piece of material I can use.  Also - if we're flying around in a bush plane then we should be wearing a coat, those things are cold.  Seriously, its like we never listened to our mother about always wearing a coat in winter.

Actually, some of those planes have a parachute for the plane itself.... so what I really want is the parachute and the plane, but perhaps I'm being greedy.

4 hours ago, Jolan said:

Actually, some of those planes have a parachute for the plane itself.... so what I really want is the parachute and the plane, but perhaps I'm being greedy.

This is absolutely true, I wouldn't mind having the strong, lightweight parachute material, not to mention the cord which is also extremely strong and lightweight. So many uses for both, just ask Bear Grylls. But I can also understand not giving it to us, especially on higher difficulties. As far as an explanation goes, maybe you came down in a stand of trees, the parachute got tangled up in the branches and you had to abandon it? Really can't be sure because the game doesn't currently give us that kind of background on the accident that stranded us in this wintry paradise.

Starting a harder difficulty sandbox with some kind of affliction or condition loss would certainly add an extra layer of challenge for experienced players. I think that if this were featured, the chances and potential effects should be dependent on the difficulty you're playing.

• Pilgrim: Nothing - that's kind of the point of Pilgrim
  • Voyageur: Up to 15% condition loss, no afflictions
  • Stalker: Up to 25% condition loss, possible sprained wrist/ankle
  • Interloper: Up to 35% condition loss, possible sprained wrist/ankle, possible blood loss

Just examples of course. These values are probably way out of balance, and that would need to be addressed if this were ever implemented. Can you imagine starting an Interloper run with 65% condition, a sprained ankle, and bleeding to death? Shortest run ever?

In some ways the different levels have a built in impairment - take a look at what clothes and the state they're in for each level.  I wouldn't want to see an interloper game start with 35% condition loss, bleeding and a sprain.  Might as well not even start, you'll be dead before you finish sacrificing your socks to make a bandage. :)  I was thinking something along the lines of a condition loss of 10 - 20% on Interloper would be a sufficient challenge.  And maybe a sprain.  With some of those start points adding in a sprained ankle means you'll have a good chance of a permanent 20% condition loss pretty shortly, since you don't ever seem to start with gloves and a hat.  Again, did we not listen to our mothers?  Its winter, what on earth are we doing without gloves and hats? 

1 hour ago, Jolan said:

In some ways the different levels have a built in impairment - take a look at what clothes and the state they're in for each level.  I wouldn't want to see an interloper game start with 35% condition loss, bleeding and a sprain.  Might as well not even start, you'll be dead before you finish sacrificing your socks to make a bandage. :)  I was thinking something along the lines of a condition loss of 10 - 20% on Interloper would be a sufficient challenge.  And maybe a sprain.  With some of those start points adding in a sprained ankle means you'll have a good chance of a permanent 20% condition loss pretty shortly, since you don't ever seem to start with gloves and a hat.  Again, did we not listen to our mothers?  Its winter, what on earth are we doing without gloves and hats? 

The gloves and hats where lost during the chrash

Why do people want this game to kill us as hard and fast as it can?

I thought the idea of interloper was that experienced players will make it through the beginning but inexperienced players wont and veteran players will die a slow death as resources deplete and the weather gets harsher. `the challenge of how long can i survive while dealing with the lurking doom of bad weather and no resources for me has always been the draw to TLD. 

If we choose to make the start of the game harder then we are going for a different draw, one of action and imminent danger (one more similar to the hunted challenges), rather than one of fighting a long and losing battle in hopes coming out on top.

3 hours ago, Mortan1234 said:

If we choose to make the start of the game harder then we are going for a different draw, one of action and imminent danger (one more similar to the hunted challenges), rather than one of fighting a long and losing battle in hopes coming out on top.

You're absolutely right, and the draw for everyone is different too, so no two people are going to be drawn to a game for exactly the same reasons. Which is what makes the tuning values on the various difficulties such a tricky beast. On the one hand, Stalker is probably hard enough for most players, without even throwing Interloper into the mix. On the other hand, some players find Stalker too easy, but don't quite want to kill themselves on Interloper just yet.

Your question about why people want this game to kill us as hard and fast as it can is an interesting one. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the most vocal members of the community were the "hardcore survivalists", even though they actually represent a small minority of the total players. So, it's not really that everyone wants the game to kill us faster, it just appears that way because the people who want a harder game are the ones who are the most active within the community. Hinterland responded to cries for a harder mode by creating Interloper, and there's no reason to think the game should ever get harder than that.

Now, I love responding to other peoples' suggestions, and discussing them at length, but I hate making suggestions of my own. It's because I always play Devil's Advocate. I see both sides of the argument and my own ideas sometimes get confused because I can never 100% decide which side I come in on. The proposed feature of this thread, starting a new game with and affliction, is 100% about realism and added challenge. I've argued in another thread and in my most recent TLD let's play video that realism does not necessarily make for good game-play, but there are people who are going to want it.

Maybe make it an option? Like, you're starting a new sandbox, you get to the "Choose Your Experience" screen, and below the difficulty selection pictures is a check-box. Something like, "Enable Hardcore Mode", or something like that. Check it if you want, or don't. I can't imagine that telling the game to start you with an affliction or some condition loss would be a particularly difficult bit of coding, since they are already features of the game, but I don't really know cause I'm not a programmer.

Starting with a sprain and clothing in poor condition would have almost no effect in Pilgrim or Voyager, a little in Stalker. It is just too easy to start a fire and food is plentiful pretty close to every start point, so I really don't care much one way or the other.

I think TLD has it right. If you find it too easy on your current setting, move up to the next. If you find it too easy on Interloper, you might want to move on to catching bullets with your teeth.

Disclaimer:

Please do not really try to catch bullets with your teeth.

4 hours ago, Lovehandel said:

Starting with a sprain and clothing in poor condition would have almost no effect in Pilgrim or Voyager, a little in Stalker. It is just too easy to start a fire and food is plentiful pretty close to every start point, so I really don't care much one way or the other.

I think TLD has it right. If you find it too easy on your current setting, move up to the next. If you find it too easy on Interloper, you might want to move on to catching bullets with your teeth.

Disclaimer:

Please do not really try to catch bullets with your teeth.

Oh, carefully puts the bullet trajectory calculations aside...

For me its not really about something being too easy (Voyager is my favorite mode) but wanting to try out different variables.  What will work here, what's the best course there.  So sometimes it might be fun to chose to start with an added variable.   

On 10.3.2017 at 6:12 PM, alone sniper said:

Hi Guys !
How you doing?? 

Well , how about starting game with affliction and condition loss?

for example you start game with 79% condition and you had sprained ankle. 

What is your idea about it? 

+1

Also if I might add, on higher difficulties like stalker and interloper you should start with an open would  however,

there should be a parachute on the ground which you could harvest for 10 cloth and make bandages fast before you loose even more condition

I got to thinking. if you want to start with a condition, why not just choose a condition and then attempt to get that condition as soon as possible. 

for example, you could jump off a cliff if your dice roll was to start with a sprained ankle, or force yourself to stay inside for 6 days in the first house you come across if it were cabin fever. Now granted you would die due to the lack of early game supplies to recover and some things (parasites) would be more difficult to get at the start, but it could (kinda) solve your problem if the developers do not implement this feature. 

9 hours ago, Mortan1234 said:

I got to thinking. if you want to start with a condition, why not just choose a condition and then attempt to get that condition as soon as possible. 

for example, you could jump off a cliff if your dice roll was to start with a sprained ankle, or force yourself to stay inside for 6 days in the first house you come across if it were cabin fever. Now granted you would die due to the lack of early game supplies to recover and some things (parasites) would be more difficult to get at the start, but it could (kinda) solve your problem if the developers do not implement this feature. 

I just tried jumping off a cliff, it was a very unsatisfying experiment.  All I did was sprain my wrist and ding up my clothes. ;) Wolves also proved to be too deadly.  Still takes too long to tear up your socks for bandages.  So I'm back at randomly assigned condition loss.  Though if they let me start with a knife I'd happily stick it into my foot. :)

mmm.. I preffer no to, when you start the game you do not have the clothes than you need, so in a little time you will have an affliction, maybe you are experts in this game and everything is easy for you but whats happend the first time you have played the game, how long you have lived.. maybe when story mode has been released, but in that case I will ask for a compass, come on man, one pilot should know how to get the plane compass...

thks

You guys are pretty brutal. :)

It's an interesting idea, and one that is already reflected, in a way, in the Challenge Modes like Hunted. A more punishing "plane crash" scenario (apart from Sandbox) could be another direction to go in.

It sounds like you want a deeper "deficit" to overcome right from the beginning? Starting with something like parasites or hypothermia would be quite the obstacle to take on without any previous foraging or looting. 

Archived