starting game with affliction.

alone sniper

Starting with affliction  is not about difficulty so much as it is for dramatic flavor. Off course you will be hurt you just survived a plane crash.  

Here is how I see the survivor should start:

Option 1 (Easy roll):  All clothes start at 30% + Sprained ankle or Sprained wrist   (Story flavor:  I landed on some bushes, which broke my fall but my clothes are shredded   )

Option 2 (Medium roll): 2 pieces of clothing start at 20% +  Sprained ankle and Sprained wrist    (Story flavor:  I've Hit the ground hard, but  I can still walk in time I will heal  )

Option 3 (Hard roll): 1 piece of clothing is ruined + Blood loss and Sprained wrist   (Story flavor:  A piece of branch scratched me during my fall. Thankfully it  was not fatal. Now I have to find some bandages fast or I will bleed out. )

1 hour ago, vancopower said:

Starting with affliction  is not about difficulty so much as it is for dramatic flavor. Off course you will be hurt you just survived a plane crash.  

Here is how I see the survivor should start:

Option 1 (Easy roll):  All clothes start at 30% + Sprained ankle or Sprained wrist   (Story flavor:  I landed on some bushes, which broke my fall but my clothes are shredded   )

Option 2 (Medium roll): 2 pieces of clothing start at 20% +  Sprained ankle and Sprained wrist    (Story flavor:  I've Hit the ground hard, but  I can still walk in time I will heal  )

Option 3 (Hard roll): 1 piece of clothing is ruined + Blood loss and Sprained wrist   (Story flavor:  A piece of branch scratched me during my fall. Thankfully it  was not fatal. Now I have to find some bandages fast or I will bleed out. )

That's a helpful way of putting it -- dramatic flavor! Would you imagine these starting scenarios as explicitly written out for you or would they be more "implied" by your condition and Affliction? 

If you want it more difficult, rather than just zoning in to a nice winters day, zone in to a wolf/bear attack. Allow our hero to start with a bandage but he is now torn to shreds, and must quickly find some way to kill the infection, repair clothes, warm up, rest and eat.

Even this is just a start challenge. By weeks end, you will be warm, healed and well fed. If you're not dead that is.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

That's a helpful way of putting it -- dramatic flavor! Would you imagine these starting scenarios as explicitly written out for you or would they be more "implied" by your condition and Affliction? 

Well yea it all depends on the roll before the game starts throw a random Variable from 0 -100 :  0-33 option 1 happens 34-66 option 2 happens and 67-100 option 3 happens. Also if you want to go into more detail the text may be related to the injury, for example if you receive a bleeding affliction on the arm  in option 3 the text might say something like this" A piece of branch scratched my arm during the fall. Thankfully it  was not fatal. Now I have to find some bandages fast or I will bleed out. " In another game it may be " A piece of branch scratched my leg during the fall. Thankfully it  was not fatal. Now I have to find some bandages fast or I will bleed out. " . Even more dramatic flavor. :)  I'm sure that the devs can think of even more ways to personalize each game start so every game would feel unique.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:45 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

You guys are pretty brutal.

hmmm..............

cashier: hello may i take your order?

these guys: uhh yes. may i have an order of canada with a side of dark souls? make sure you go a little heavy with the dark souls.

in all actuality i like the idea of adding new challenges to the start but i want them to come in story mode and i am willing to wait. fingers crossed for 2017.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:53 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Some back story as part of a challenge scenario. Sorta like the one where we go get the flare gun and shoot it. You start with some random affliction etc get thru that then collect some item(s) like the document in TWM perhaps? 

If we gonna be realistic we can also say that on interlopper the guy came a little prepared, so he had a flare with him on spawn. That can be used to light a fire if you cant find any matches or walk through a mine if you dont like the map you spawned on. But only if you also start with dmg from a plane crash.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:45 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

You guys are pretty brutal. :)

It's an interesting idea, and one that is already reflected, in a way, in the Challenge Modes like Hunted. A more punishing "plane crash" scenario (apart from Sandbox) could be another direction to go in.

It sounds like you want a deeper "deficit" to overcome right from the beginning? Starting with something like parasites or hypothermia would be quite the obstacle to take on without any previous foraging or looting. 

I was thinking a condition deficit to match the condition deficit of the clothing.  I haven't looked at the actually percentage differences but it does seem to be there.  Starting with hypothermia or a sprained ankle would be utterly deadly on interloper though. :)

I think that the big problem is not the start, It is the lasts days when you growup, I meant, Now I am on 170 days, I almost never got cold because my clothness are the best, and my body get cold fusion achievement, I am level 5 on firing, cooking, fishing, level 4 on hunting with arch and 3 on rifle (I don't know if those are exactly the name of the achievements), I am in TWM and I have at least 15kg of deer meat + 28kg of bear meat + 20kg of wolf meat + 15kg of fish and more than 20kg of food items and more than 20l of water, my only problem here is to get pieces of cloth to repair my clothness, so I get up and I dont know what else to do, when I got out even whitout food, some wolf cross me in the way, he met my arch, I get 4kg more of meat to eat, the game became boring, I am not an interlooper I am in a previous level I think is stalker, and the reason is that level (interlooper) starts in a very dificult condition, in the first 2 or 4 days you'll define if you will survive, I want to start again a new sandbox but I dont want to start everything again... maybe this should be in wish list. We need the possibility to rise up the difficulty level, I used to play X-Plane (airplane sim) and you can change the level condition anytime, even if you want to set fire your engines you can do it.. I have walked 80% of the long dark world, I try not to get out to much because when I do it I bring food at home and I am waiting to ran out of food to get away..

Archived