Ghost Wolves

avendarius

https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=xuKnRjwQn7g&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbbiZ_A3svPQ%26feature%3Dshare

I had recorded my game and from it extracted a clip and loaded it to the link above.   In this clip, I was cutting across the field between the river and farmhouse in PV.  Roughly halfway though the field I start hearing footsteps.   I start looking around, but see no wolves.   I'm starting to think it's maybe an effect of the nearby fruit trees, but then a wolf starts howling no more than 2 or 3 meters from me.   

I have had this happen as well, but it was at night for me.  Same conditions, in pleasant valley,  walking across a field and start hearing footsteps and their following me.  But no other noise or indications of a wolf, I just thought it was a rabbit I couldn't see.  Then out of nowhere I get attacked and killed by a wolf that wasn't there.  

Just kind of assumed it was a mod to wolves at night to make them more sneaky. =P

Another instance of this ghost behavior is the bear in Mystery lake at the nameless pond?   You can hear it snorting and footsteps getting closer but you cant see it, until you run to or near the hunters stand.  Then its just right at the ice generally walking towards you.  Happens a lot to me, playing on Interloper.

PC system, very repeatable just walk on right side of pond ( when facing hunting stand).

Currently at TWM Mountaineers Hut I scope out the pond with the rifle and see no wolf.  Then heading towards the fishing hut I check again on top the rocks.  Still clear.  Go to pick some cattails then head back to fishing hut and now there are wolves.  Either very sneaky crouching wolves (how do you hide on a frozen pond) or the animals just spawn into existence.

Roaming animals might improve this problem. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post about this, but is it confirmed the wolves will spawn right in front of your face?  I have faced this twice on the Mystery Lake map, once on stalker mode and once on voyager mode, and been immediately attacked by a wolf that did not exist 5 seconds earlier.  If spawning aggressive animals directly around the player is confirmed, then personally I think that needs to be changed.  It really takes me out of the game when I am looking all around, see that I am safe for at least half a kilometer in all directions, pick a cattail and get attacked.  For me, I appreciate the act of sneaking around a pack of wolves and playing hide and seek when I need to get around them.  When they are invisible, or spawn within eyesight, it takes me out of the playing experience and just seems unfair.  Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this way?

I can confirm the flickering bear on Unnamed Pond who is suddenly there.  Later on in the same save, also in Mystery Lake, I walked from the Camp Office to the nearest fishing hut (my "fridge"), on a clear day with no obstacles or animals in sight.  After grabbing the day's fish, I turned and walked out - into a pack of three wolves that had spawned onto the ice between the hut and the Camp Office.  It was tricky picking my way back, and involved building a campfire "safe zone" to retreat to.  That section of map is basically a big box, so unless those wolves really rocketed from the Southern Access in time to be wandering nonchalantly just outside the westernmost fishing hut, it seemed pretty clearly to be an abrupt spawn. 

This seems to be somewhat recent, I don't recall these sorts of issues occurring months ago, so maybe an update is messing with things?

Archived