Cured Leather From Hides

L²

Okay, let me start off by saying that I acknowledge that I am not the first to suggest this...in fact, by using the search parameter of, "cured leather from" (using the quotes so as to ensure an exact match) I have found that this suggestion has been made once a year for the previous 2 years:

2015 Suggestion/Request

2016 Suggestion/Request

So, I will continue the Hinterland player tradition and suggest it again...you're welcome.

For many such as myself, finding a pair of Insulated Boots is a godsend!  They are lighter than the deerskin boots and are more practical.  However, finding continuing supplies of Cured Leather is daunting at best and near impossible at worst.  Allowing for a process to render deer or rabbit hides into Cured Leather would allow for this to remain a viable item.

I'm thinking something like:

• 1 Rabbit Hide = 1 Cured Leather
  • 1 Deer Hide = 3 Cured Leather

Or whatever Dev thinks practical.  Now granted, in the RL taking a hide from a hide to a tanned hide suitable to be called such would take 9 months and would require a tree bark that contains tannin, luckily we have one in game already! Fir bark can be used for tanning!  The natural process does not require salts per se.

Anyway, hope this years entry in the Request train gets some movement.

:D

Just my 2¢

Deer-Boots.png

Inso-Boots.png

On 3/8/2017 at 9:58 PM, AZHockeyNut said:

Tis a trade off like everything else..>>snip<<..Deer skin is always available... 

Very true...and I concede that if this mechanic were made available, many might opt to continue repairing the Insulated Boots rather than make the Deer Skin Boots, but the weight savings, especially now with there being multiple clothing layers and the weight hindrance being such an issue, I would love to see more lasting light weight alternatives.

On 09/03/2017 at 1:13 AM, L² said:

[...]in the RL taking a hide from a hide to a tanned hide suitable to be called such would take 9 months and would require a tree bark that contains tannin[...]

Animal skins can be "tanned" with brains. Interestingly, there's usually just enough brain in the skull to tan the hide of the animal it comes from. This process only takes a handful of days and the process is finished by smoking the brained hide.

Anyway, that little diversion aside, I am somewhat conflicted with the need for cured leather. Obtaining it from cured hides makes utter sense but would make repairing decent shoes a little too easy. However, it does feel like an artificial restriction and is therefore a little emersion-breaking. In real-life you wouldn't really be able to repair factory-made shoes indefinitely - they are (mostly) not designed to be repaired - so I kinda view it as a mechanic to reflect this - you will only get so much mileage in repairing factory-made shoes, but once you have a source of hides, can make your own until the cows come home (or the electricity comes back).

I am also conflicted on this subject. I would love to be able to repair my insulated boots or moccasins indefinitely, but it would hardly be realistic. As has been pointed out, modern manufactured clothing/footware is hardly designed to be repaired AT ALL, let alone indefinitely. Part of a consumer society I guess, manufacturers and retailers want you to replace, not repair. I suppose we should just be grateful that the maximum durability of our clothing doesn't degrade every time we repair it lol.

15 hours ago, DragonXIII said:

I suppose we should just be grateful that the maximum durability of our clothing doesn't degrade every time we repair it lol.

I think this would be an excellent addition to the game, for all kit. Most things degrade slightly with each repair/maintenance cycle. Knives and axes are slowly ground away, clothes become more patches and stitching than original clothing, and lose their integrity. Personally, having item's max condition degrade with each repair, but having repair tools last longer (whetstones should out-live the knife you are sharpening), would be much more realistic. Replenishing things like sewing kits with gut-thread and bone needles would be a welcome addition too.

On 3/14/2017 at 3:59 PM, DragonXIII said:

I am also conflicted on this subject. I would love to be able to repair my insulated boots or moccasins indefinitely, but it would hardly be realistic. As has been pointed out, modern manufactured clothing/footware is hardly designed to be repaired AT ALL, let alone indefinitely. Part of a consumer society I guess, manufacturers and retailers want you to replace, not repair. I suppose we should just be grateful that the maximum durability of our clothing doesn't degrade every time we repair it lol.

Two words shoe cobbler. It's a nicehe profession but yeah it can be done and figured out by the amateur. It's not easy... But is possible. Remaking rubber soles is a pain...

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to be able to make cured leather out of deer hide, though I would be using them to repair my gauntlets.  Or the ability to make durable leather gloves out of deer hide.  Rabbit is warm and all, but a good pair hand covering with a decent protection value is vital.  

Archived