Ruined Trunks

tentacles

I tried to loot a car's trunk when suddenly my prybar broke. Once I got a new one and wanted to finish the job, I had to realize that the trunk was ruined.

As it is right now, you have to be weary of your prybar's condition. If it is too low, you better harvest it to avoid breaking a trunk. So you have to waste some condition of a very valuable tool (can't be repaired or forged).

Also, it doesn't really make any sense because you use force to open a trunk. IRL that trunk would be ruined, that's for sure; but that doesn't mean I can't still open it with a new prybar. So I have nothing against it that the action fails if your prybar breaks, but you should still be able to force these trunks open once you return with a new prybar.

(Will this also happen with "Lockers" or other loot containers? I suppose so.)

4 hours ago, romerabr said:

it happens on cargo containers on TWM, whenyour hacksaw break in the opening process. this is even more frustrating.

Yep. Learned this the hard way. Used my dying hacksaw to open the very last loot container in the tail section only to have it break the hacksaw and the cargo container. Of course, it was the ammo one, which was the one I wanted most. This despite having two other hacksaws, toolboxes, and scrap metal lying on the floor a few feet away.

I see, so it does happen with other tools and containers.

But what do you think about the mechanic itself?
(A loot container can become inaccessible)

Isn't it enough risk that we use our tools and get nothing from those containers?

I'm OK with it as a game mechanic - it offers risk to using worn out tools and not repairing. I feel like 'repairing' is a pretty underwhelming skillset/game mechanic as-is in the game, so removing this would remove the only semi-interesting part associated with it.

Not very realistic, but I accept some lack of realism for interesting game mechanics.

I could think of better ways to make repairing more "interesting" :)

E.g. The better the tool's quality, the less time it takes to repair/harvest something.

Breaking a container because your tool breaks is like hitting your head to a wall just for the giggles.^^

1 hour ago, tentacles said:

I could think of better ways to make repairing more "interesting" :)

E.g. The better the tool's quality, the less time it takes to repair/harvest something.

Breaking a container because your tool breaks is like hitting your head to a wall just for the giggles.^^

Yeah I've been thinking of suggesting this for a while. It makes sense that if you don't sharpen a knife it just becomes very blunt and takes ages to do anything, rather than crossing a threshold where it becomes beyond repair... It would also stop that situation on really long games where all your tools get ruined because you run out of whetstones (and materials to forge new ones), and replace it with a situation where everything just becomes more difficult, but not impossible.

Archived