Jerry Cans will be removed from your inventory ...

tentacles

... when all that is inside them will be used up by refilling a Storm Lantern (SL). That shouldn't happen, because there is no way to get them back other than finding another one on a loot run. They can also be refilled when harvesting a Storm Lantern that has some fuel left in it, or when cooking a fish. In both cases you need to have a JC in your inventory.

This is how I would change Jerry Cans:
- Let them stay inside the player's inventory even if they are empty.
- If a player no longer needs one, they should allow to be harvested and yield scrap metal.
- Allow them to be refilled with bottles of Lantern Fuel

5 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

i haven't run into any issues with being able to harvest oil from fish with no jerry can in my inventory. 
The oil goes into my inventory in the lantern fuel bottles.

Exactly ... and you get quite a few lantern fuel stacks with different quality. It would just be nice if you could move all that fuel into a single jerry can.

-EDIT-

Just to be clear:

- You cook fish and *don't* have a jerry can in your inventory: the oil you get from cooking fish goes into lantern fuel bottels.
- You cook fish and *do* have one in your inventory: the oil you get goes into the jerry can.

I think this goes hand in hand with a bigger feature update that I hope Hinterland implements soon: object stacking.

For all items that don't degrade, I really wish they would just wipe out 'condition', which would allow stacking. That, and stacking of all items that are the same condition (e.g. 100% fishing tackles). Lantern oil, 100% fishing tackles, all the medicines, brewed teas, varied condition matches, etc take up too much space in the inventory right now. To answer your question, yes - I wish all lantern oils (whether found or gained through fish cooking) would stack together in a single jerry can.

9 minutes ago, GorillaDust said:

... a bigger feature update that I hope Hinterland implements soon: object stacking

Is that a confirmed "to be added" feature, or more some "I hope they will" kind of thing?
It sounds interesting, nonetheless.

Yes, it is a little irritating that items, which don't degrade, have a quality/condition.
But wouldn't a 15L stack of plastic bottles (Lantern Fuel) feel a little weird?

46 minutes ago, tentacles said:

Is that a confirmed "to be added" feature, or more some "I hope they will" kind of thing?
It sounds interesting, nonetheless.

Yes, it is a little irritating that items, which don't degrade, have a quality/condition.
But wouldn't a 15L stack of plastic bottles (Lantern Fuel) feel a little weird?

It's been discussed a lot on the forums, but I don't remember seeing it specifically on the roadmap or addressed by Hinterland.

I would treat lantern oil the same as water bottles - have visuals for large and small in-environment items (like the short and tall water bottles), but when they go into your inventory they should all stack into a jerry can for the sake of simplicity (like the water jug).

Archived