Using Books to Fight Cabin Fever

Sharky

Right now, cabin fever is a little too easy to get, especially in Interloper, and is too punishing. That's why I believe we should be able to read books to fight cabin fever. Since cabin fever in real life is caused by boredom, this would be realistic, and would add a strategic element. You should be able to read both research books and the 'generic' books to quickly decrease cabin fever risk. It would also be nice if cabin fever risk does not increase while crafting, because while working on a project, the character would be focused and wouldn't go crazy from boredom.

Note - this isn't my idea, by the way; I think I saw it posted somewhere else on this forum, but I can't remember where. 

Well... If there's a timer like feature on them so that you can still read it again but with less bonus unless you wait some really long time between each use.. But still, after sometime... It wouldn't be a good thing. Even if you wait a few week before riding twice a book, it's still ne use after the hundredth time... But at least it's a good idea to fight of cabine fever by doing something instead of just waiting.

Cabin fever as it is implemented now is a bit silly. I understand the reason for it, but it's still silly. The way to cure it is to sleep outside in a blizzard? You no longer have Cabin Fever, now you have stupid.

I have always thought that Cabin Fever should be triggered by not entering a certain number of zones rather than just sleeping inside. If I maintain a base in CH, walk to the damn and stay a night or two, then walk to trappers, spend the night, walk to camp office, do the same. I head back to CH unload and begin my trek to DP.  I loot DP over a couple of days and head back to CH. I wake up the next morning with Cabin Fever.

The funny thing is; I could live in a fishing hut 100% of the time and never get cabin fever.

By zones I mean areas of a map not a completely different map

I would like a slight modification so that you can't get cabin fever if you are busy; reading, crafting/ repairing or cooking, etc.  If you are just sleeping and passing time, then yes, the cabin fever mechanic makes sense. 

Maybe sole activities wear out - so if you just repair clothing for more then a day strait you start to go squirrely, but if you repair for 5 hours and read for five hours, that should be fine.

Archived