Time to post news on how work progresses

Capi

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I definitely believe this is the Story Mode counter. They've never had a counter for any update before, or an announcement, and if there was an update that deserved it, it would have been Resolute Outfitter over anything. I'm so excited that I'm literally numb all over right now.

They stated on Steam that they will release a Sandbox update before Story Mode comes out

How many days do you think ?

I feel like a small child :D

1 hour ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

They stated on Steam that they will release a Sandbox update before Story Mode comes out

How many days do you think ?

I feel like a small child :D

22 Days is to the small update.

Story Mode will still take a bit longer to cook.

They have never done this for a normal update before. Unless this is a new strategy for releasing updates my bet is that it is the story mode release :D im so excited to finally have some news!! Still looking foward to podcast however ;)

6 hours ago, selfless said:

22 Days is to the small update.

Story Mode will still take a bit longer to cook.

No, I don't think so. Here's why:

1. Major logo change. Companies never do this for products unless something is changing. 

2. Raphael tweeted my new favorite quote, obviously from Story mode, with the link to the countdown timer: "I'm no hero. I'm just looking for someone. Doing my best to survive along the way."

3. No update big enough to deserve a countdown timer other than story mode would usually go on without a play testing, like they did with Resolute outfitter. The update, whatever it may contain, I predict to be released in the next 10-12 days, to give us something to chew on while story mode inches closer...

But we may need a Hinterland representive like @Patrick Carlson or @Mel Guille to clarify. (*cough* Hint *cough*)

47 minutes ago, selfless said:

If they wanted it to be clear, they could have presented it clearly.  They didn't.

For what end would they want their public guessing about releases for another 3 weeks?  I already made my conclusion.

They could've done the same with stating that it was clearly an update. Raphael also said he would give an exact date as to when Story mode would be released. 

I guess all I can say is, when the 22 days are up, we'll see who gets to tell who that they told them so.

IMHO, I think this will be a Release (i.e. not alpha anymore, maybe beta or final). Putting a countdown on the main website is targetting beyond the community. So, they may have completed the first chapter of the story mode, or not. They may have wanted to release a sandox first before story (or not!). Anyhow, they probably wanted/needed to release now, maybe for financial reasons, or they reorganized things in order to be able to release sooner, maybe lowering ambitions. I think this is a right move, the current alpha is already a complete game in its own right, the next release cannot be less.

Ach, after all this time... would I be excited? I'm not. I'm calm. Lessee... 22 days, 00 hours and 26 minutes to go. Ha! That's a looot of time. Get comfortable, ladies and gentlemen... no need to be excited. OK, check Steam forums for news... ah, there's something... obscure... link to the timer... hm. Check timer... 22 days, 00 hours, 24 minutes. Am I excited? No. Checking my pulse... seems normal. Not excited. Not. Excited. OK. Backtrack this thread... @togg was the first to bring the news. Good man, that togg. Always got his guard up. Good man. OK... 22 days, 00 hours, 21 minutes. Hhrrgnhhhhhhhhh...

19 hours ago, ridankrad said:

Just FYI, the fox logo is the logo of Hinterland Studios. TLD's logo has always been the axe logo. For example:

https://www.hinterlandstore.com/collections/accessories/products/hinterland-mug

https://www.hinterlandstore.com/collections/accessories/products/the-long-dark-mug-with-art

Yes! I know that. I mean the new axe logo VS the logo of the game launcher. The new logo and the fox's logo don't go well together imho.

3 hours ago, togg said:

All of this is so strange! If a new sandbox should be released before story mode it should be a little bit before at least for bug testing, feedback etc.

My point exactly. There is no way a standard update requires such a precise date as May 4, 2017 at 10:00 AM. Nothing could be more exciting sandbox-wise than what Resolute Outfitter introduced. This is definitely story mode without a doubt. And in the words of @Hotzn, my emotions right now: Hhrrgnhhhhhhhhh...

@CalNieDaGtarGuy

Again, sorry to be the wet blanket but all we know is something is happening in 22 (ish) days. So, while I am very excited I would not assume that story mode is getting released on May 4th. It might but it could just as easily be the final sandbox update. So, settle in, be excited but make no assumptions. ;)

26 minutes ago, cekivi said:

@CalNieDaGtarGuy

Again, sorry to be the wet blanket but all we know is something is happening in 22 (ish) days. So, while I am very excited I would not assume that story mode is getting released on May 4th. It might but it could just as easily be the final sandbox update. So, settle in, be excited but make no assumptions. ;)

I know you have to play that role, but honestly... I don't believe that you believe it.

They publish a countdown timer without explanation as to what it's for, knowing full-well that hype and anticipation for Story Mode is at boiling point within their community. If the counter isn't for Story Mode, then it's going to be a massive let-down for a lot of people - and Hinterland surely know that? They must have known that most people would make that assumption, and if they didn't they're stupid (which I don't think true!). If the counter isn't for Story Mode, then it's a terrible, terrible piece of PR decision-making, and the person responsible for it wants sacking, frankly.

I simply don't believe that they would deliberately mislead their support-base like that, unless they actually want a load of bad press - because that's what they'd get.

10 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Oh I definitely want it to be story mode @Pillock but I've been in the community long enough to know that patience with Hinterlands is often the best course of action. It's paid off really well so far :) 

I still don't believe it.

By not announcing anything concrete alongside this mysterious countdown timer, they are purposely building expectation among the fanbase. What would be a purpose of then crushing that expectation, except to deliberately annoy people? It wouldn't make any sense!

I've been in the community long enough to know that Hinterland has always been extremely careful not to build false expectation - this would be so out of character on their part, that I just don't buy it. It's got to be Story Mode; otherwise, they've all gone mad.

1 minute ago, Pillock said:

What would be a purpose of then crushing that expectation, except to deliberately annoy people? It wouldn't make any sense!

It could make for a pretty funny joke.  Remember how the first season of South Park ended with a cliffhanger about who Cartman's dad really was?  And the next season started with an entire Terrance and Phillip episode, instead of the conclusion that told who his dad was?  And it was a joke on the fans of the show?

If this turns out to be a countdown to the test branch, I will laugh pretty hard! :D

5 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

If this turns out to be a countdown to the test branch, I will laugh pretty hard! :D

Agreed!

But this forum would be unreadable for weeks, because of all the abuse and tantrums that would inevitably ensue. And poor old @cekivi would have to be here trying to referee it. I just hope for his sake that it isn't a joke!

7 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Agreed!

But this forum would be unreadable for weeks, because of all the abuse and tantrums that would inevitably ensue. And poor old @cekivi would have to be here trying to referee it. I just hope for his sake that it isn't a joke!

Let's hope :S

It would be odd not to have a test branch first though... That's actually my main reason for suspecting that it won't be story mode but the last sandbox update. It'd make sense to finalize the mechanics before leaving Alpha.

Archived