Time to post news on how work progresses

Capi

See, I have patience and I still love the game, but at the same time... 4 months is... 4 months. Sure, you could go through life as normal and 4 months could pass by like nothing, but then one day you wake up and realize that you haven't had so much as a progress update with pictures, videos, or even a ChangeLog Detail post (which would be soooooooooooooo awesome to have) detailing some of what they've gotten done in the past 4 months. 

I realize that they are definitely not sitting on their asses, doing nothing, and that 50% of programming involves pre-planning, objective-based goals, and thought-processing prior to the actual implementation of the code, but leaving us in The Long Dark (hehe) is not necessarily a good thing. 

What I want to know is what they've been doing. That's it. I don't want it released in playable format right now, but I want a text version of the changelog, to say the least. Show me those 256 Bugs that you guys fixed. Show me that you improved performance optimizations by 11%, while simultaneously improving the graphics quality and detail of the game. Getting it in a Gift Basket, while knowing what half of it is, is still just as exciting as not having any clue. 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Deathdealers747 said:

See, I have patience and I still love the game, but at the same time... 4 months is... 4 months. Sure, you could go through life as normal and 4 months could pass by like nothing, but then one day you wake up and realize that you haven't had so much as a progress update with pictures, videos, or even a ChangeLog Detail post (which would be soooooooooooooo awesome to have) detailing some of what they've gotten done in the past 4 months. 

I realize that they are definitely not sitting on their asses, doing nothing, and that 50% of programming involves pre-planning, objective-based goals, and thought-processing prior to the actual implementation of the code, but leaving us in The Long Dark (hehe) is not necessarily a good thing. 

What I want to know is what they've been doing. That's it. I don't want it released in playable format right now, but I want a text version of the changelog, to say the least. Show me those 256 Bugs that you guys fixed. Show me that you improved performance optimizations by 11%, while simultaneously improving the graphics quality and detail of the game. Getting it in a Gift Basket, while knowing what half of it is, is still just as exciting as not having any clue. 

Totally agree.

1) I would like to talk about optimization.

I have a i7 4470, 8Go Ram, Nividia GTX GeForce 850 : I think it's correct. And it's not really sufficient for a fluid game, especially when it's snowing.

2) We have a wonderful game with very few bugs. I'm not complaining about it.

3) I woul like a new roadmap update, yes, because the one we have is very obsolete. And, especially, I would like to know if Devs have already abandonned some project from it, like AI improvement, or real-time cooking, or canoe/horse/long travelling system.

4) It's about 2-3 months we've suggested a complete wishlist for "DOGS", without any answer. Maybe it could be more efficient to tell us you've not read it yet or that it's not on the project, and it will ok so.

Finally, I can't understand. Does the game will be full-realesed (alpha/beta end) will the story mod launch ? In that case, what will be the future for the roadmap projects "still to do list'" ? Could you talk about that in Signal hill radio next episode ?

I agree with the 4 point proposed. Refreshing the roadmap would be nice. Optimization would be wonderfull but I guess it's a complex topic.

I don't agree with a constant feedback about changelogs for the simple reason that it doesn't seem as they like to do it and pushing a creative process in this way it's always very stressing. I guess most of the devs like the "release" moment. It's normal.

I would love to hear more from the devs. Its kinda sad that every morning i wake up i check the forums just to make sure im not missing out on some new info about the development of the game. Please guys give us some news ^_^ either way i will still support your creation its an amazing game and all i want is to learn more about it. 

Would love to see a weekly or fortnightly newsleter too. I cant wait to hear the next podcast  :Dthanks guys, i dont mean to nag ;)

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

1) I would like to talk about optimization.

I have a i7 4470, 8Go Ram, Nividia GTX GeForce 850 : I think it's correct. And it's not really sufficient for a fluid game, especially when it's snowing.

I get much more FPS deactivating SSAO. I have a I5 12gb ram GT550M on board, 1900x1200 (something like that, 22 inches monitor full resolution) runs very well.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

It's about 2-3 months we've suggested a complete wishlist for "DOGS", without any answer. Maybe it could be more efficient to tell us you've not read it yet or that it's not on the project, and it will ok so

Be patient, a constant feedback means lose time in developed. ;)

3 hours ago, mic said:

Be patient, a constant feedback means lose time in developed

Afaik the Hinterland team includes two people whose role is described as community engagement.

Kerbal Space Program is another favorite (Unity based) game of mine. Check out the community page here. This page, as long as I can remember, has always included weekly updates on the progress of the development of the game. Read the latest here. You will notice that it goes so far as to mention what individual developers are working on (and always has done).

The difference between KSP and TLD in this respect is marked.

Given that Hinterland has two people whose job might be expected to include the release of news on a regular basis, their silence indicates a decision has been made not say anything until Hinterland is good and ready. And requesting news or complaining about the lack of updates will likely accomplish very little.

10 hours ago, mystifeid said:

...requesting news or complaining about the lack of updates will likely accomplish very little.

Except to probe when (if ever) they intend to break that silence.  It's not nagging.  It's interest.  They should love it.  It means we still care.

We are for sure reading these threads and aware of the interest, curiosity, and eagerness in the community right now. We hear you. 

Rest assured, the team has been hard at work and when we are ready to share progress on that work, we'll be talking all about it. Thanks again for your patience. 

On 25.8.2016 at 9:19 PM, admin said:

Episode One Playtesting

Episode One is fully playable from start to finish and we’re now doing in-house playtesting to work on pacing,

7 Months ago, episode one was fully playable already. Since then, i assume they've been working on episode two and polishing both episodes to release them. Raphael tweeted that they changed the weather (graphics) again and that it looks great.

They will now release a new sandbox with the moose and maybe little other changes to keep us calm, before the story mode release, or no sandbox update and just informations - depending on how close they are for release. All in all it sounds as if story mode will be released this summer or fall.

1 hour ago, MueckE said:

7 Months ago, episode one was fully playable already.

Playable, but not animated.  Animations had been lagging from the start.  Then they decided that they should do more ?  Since that they have rewritten the script, recorded all sorts of dialogue, built new maps and crafted new mechanics, but have yet to say "boo" regarding animations (other than that they have continued working on it).

Until they break this silence I shall assume they still haven't finished even one NPC encounter.

What has been added since the Deep Forest Update
Juli 2015 to March 2017

-Linux, SteamOS, Steam Controller Support
-You can now clear ice-fishing holes with Hammers and Prybars
-Hammers can be used to break down crates, furniture, etc.
-Modified struggle damage modifiers for various tools, and added modifiers for the new Improvised Knife, Improvised Hatchet, and Hammer
-Updated Weather system, both visuals and to introduce weather patterns.
-Updated Wind system and wind sounds. Wind now changes based on altitude, location, temperature, and time of day.
-Added new Fuel type: Coal
-Added new Tools: Hammer, Improvised Knife, Improvised Hatchet.
-Added new region, Desolation Point.
-Added new item placement system.
-Added Forging gameplay
-Added arrows, arrowheads, arrowshafts, fethers, bow, saplings
-The moon now glows
-Low Health screen effects to better communicate critical health status.
-Added on-screen indicators for all types of damage.
-Added Rifle Jamming.
-Added Fatigue-driven Rifle sway.
-Added pre-Aim reticle back to Bow.
-Added Rifle Cleaning Kit tool, and Rifle maintenance gameplay
-Added new region: Timberwolf Mountain.
-Added Rope Climbing gameplay.
-Added Distress Pistol tool/weapon.
-Added Stats Screen and Player Log
-Snow Shelter
-Skills + Feats
-Added Research Books
-Added Challenges
-Added Interloper
-First-Person Presence
-Passing Time
-hypothermia, parasites, cabin fever, frostbite
-beachcombing
-fishoil
-TWM, DP, FM, Ravine 2
-Added new clothing types and system
-Added Wetness, Freezing, Drying

I am sure that i miss a few things but overall this is basicly what has been really new within more than 1,5 years. Mostly there have been many changes to the things that already existed and on top of that i didn't list changes of the UI, animal behavior and so on. Obviously this takes a lot of worktime. Still, if you take a look at the actually "new mechanic-gameplay" features, not much happened for that amount of time. On top of that, all new things haven't been balanced, there
is a lack of concept - it seems as if a dev just sits behind his monitor and sets specific values by rolling a dice :)

All that is not a rant, but it leads to the problem of expectations on storymode. If i see what has been done in two years and are constantly hearing that 2/3 are working on story mode, well than you maybe can imagine that the expectation on story mode is very high. The problem is, that the expectations of many players are so high because of that policy (maybe unrealistic high), that i don't see how Hinterland is dealing with that.

I personally have no high expectations. I think the game will be mostly like i already know it, one or two new regions, items but that's it. The new thing will be the story and because it's been told in episodes, it will provide a few good hours of gaming - but it will not be the "big" thing. For me it's ok, but the problem of raising expectations and the difficulty to fullfull them is the main issue with parts of the community, and after No Mans Sky and others, the community is very serious about that. That's the reason why people want more informations and updates - to have an idea of "what and when" they are supporting. The fact that two people from Hinterland are for the community there, but appear 99% of the time as forum moderators doesn't really help. Normally you would think (from the community standpoint) that these jobs are mainly to provide informations and answer questions - communication not moderation.

8 hours ago, MueckE said:

What has been added since the Deep Forest Update
Juli 2015 to March 2017

-Linux, SteamOS, Steam Controller Support
-You can now clear ice-fishing holes with Hammers and Prybars
-Hammers can be used to break down crates, furniture, etc.
-Modified struggle damage modifiers for various tools, and added modifiers for the new Improvised Knife, Improvised Hatchet, and Hammer
-Updated Weather system, both visuals and to introduce weather patterns.
-Updated Wind system and wind sounds. Wind now changes based on altitude, location, temperature, and time of day.
-Added new Fuel type: Coal
-Added new Tools: Hammer, Improvised Knife, Improvised Hatchet.
-Added new region, Desolation Point.
-Added new item placement system.
-Added Forging gameplay
-Added arrows, arrowheads, arrowshafts, fethers, bow, saplings
-The moon now glows
-Low Health screen effects to better communicate critical health status.
-Added on-screen indicators for all types of damage.
-Added Rifle Jamming.
-Added Fatigue-driven Rifle sway.
-Added pre-Aim reticle back to Bow.
-Added Rifle Cleaning Kit tool, and Rifle maintenance gameplay
-Added new region: Timberwolf Mountain.
-Added Rope Climbing gameplay.
-Added Distress Pistol tool/weapon.
-Added Stats Screen and Player Log
-Snow Shelter
-Skills + Feats
-Added Research Books
-Added Challenges
-Added Interloper
-First-Person Presence
-Passing Time
-hypothermia, parasites, cabin fever, frostbite
-beachcombing
-fishoil
-TWM, DP, FM, Ravine 2
-Added new clothing types and system
-Added Wetness, Freezing, Drying

I am sure that i miss a few things but overall this is basicly what has been really new within more than 1,5 years. Mostly there have been many changes to the things that already existed and on top of that i didn't list changes of the UI, animal behavior and so on. Obviously this takes a lot of worktime. Still, if you take a look at the actually "new mechanic-gameplay" features, not much happened for that amount of time. On top of that, all new things haven't been balanced, there
is a lack of concept - it seems as if a dev just sits behind his monitor and sets specific values by rolling a dice :)

All that is not a rant, but it leads to the problem of expectations on storymode. If i see what has been done in two years and are constantly hearing that 2/3 are working on story mode, well than you maybe can imagine that the expectation on story mode is very high. The problem is, that the expectations of many players are so high because of that policy (maybe unrealistic high), that i don't see how Hinterland is dealing with that.

I personally have no high expectations. I think the game will be mostly like i already know it, one or two new regions, items but that's it. The new thing will be the story and because it's been told in episodes, it will provide a few good hours of gaming - but it will not be the "big" thing. For me it's ok, but the problem of raising expectations and the difficulty to fullfull them is the main issue with parts of the community, and after No Mans Sky and others, the community is very serious about that. That's the reason why people want more informations and updates - to have an idea of "what and when" they are supporting. The fact that two people from Hinterland are for the community there, but appear 99% of the time as forum moderators doesn't really help. Normally you would think (from the community standpoint) that these jobs are mainly to provide informations and answer questions - communication not moderation.

You make very legit arguments. However I don't believe that story mode will be small. All this time up to now it was the quiet before the storm. The story mode will not be big that is true, it will be enormous.  Just the fact that there will be NPC'S it a big addition enough, not to mention the Aurora effect we might get some electricity  even who knows right?

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

We are for sure reading these threads and aware of the interest, curiosity, and eagerness in the community right now. We hear you. 

Rest assured, the team has been hard at work and when we are ready to share progress on that work, we'll be talking all about it. Thanks again for your patience. 

I know a community pressure can be a discomfort in Devs/community relation, so take your time I know it will be a great story mod.

Raph tweeted yesterday that he was working on an update/announcement. Maybe by the end of the day there will be something new to look at. Otherwise it's a bit mean to tweet about it and not see any result days to weeks later. 

7 hours ago, wathman said:

Raph tweeted yesterday that he was working on an update/announcement. Maybe by the end of the day there will be something new to look at. Otherwise it's a bit mean to tweet about it and not see any result days to weeks later. 

Not necessarily 'mean'; Raphael seems to be a perfectionist. He wants to get it just right, every time. And he has a tendency to set the bar higher and higher as he goes along as well. So when he says: there will be an update 'soon', that doesn't automatically mean it's going to be the next day or even next weekend.

I've seen at least one instance where Raph made such an announcement and the community got upset it took a week and a half for a trailer with a presentation of coming changes to get published. That's not 'soon' people said, in frustration. 'Soon' is like that evening, or maybe at the start of the weekend. As I recall, Raph took exception to such demands. His notion as a developer as to what is coming just around the corner seems to differ somewhat from the expectations of most users.

So the wisest course of action is to expect it's going to take longer than you expect. If I've learned anything playing TLD and seeing it develop, it's that patience is rewarded. It usually takes the devs longer to deliver the kind of material and quality they feel meets their standards than even they themselved had estimated; but the trade-off is: the output is well worth the wait too.

I paid maybe $12,- on a discount for this game back in early 2015, and it's a gift that keeps on giving - I've been playing TLD for more than two years now, and every time I get bored with it (which does happen eventually), the devs find a way to make it engaging again and reignite that old spark of excitement and wonderment.

So yeah, communication could be somewhat more forthcoming (again, this might be a matter of philosophy: no half baked stuff, only quality, quality, quality), but if one can muster the patience to wait diligently and to postpone ones expectations, eventually one is rewarded with a game which outshines many AAA+ games even in it's alpha-version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not that much satisfied by the logo though. I don't know. A little bit too static maybe? The minimalism is excessive I think compared to the old (actual) logo, the game is now moving a little bit away from minimalism in the icons etc so it feels strange.

Maybe it's just a little bit too dull. They have trademarked it so I guess they care about it. I love the fox logo!

Interesting. There was just a post on Steam too. I'll copy the contents for those non-Steam users:

There will be one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. More details about that update will be available soon. The team continues to be hard at work, creating the best experience we can for you. We appreciate your patience while we do so.

- The Hinterland Team

Archived