Time to post news on how work progresses

Capi

Hello Hinterland staff,
Think it's time you tell us a little bit how the work is proceeding and what's planned to happen in nearest future - patches, new maps, etc.

I'm very curious you see... :D

Regards,

Capi

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Capi said:

Hello Hinterland staff,
Think it's time you tell us a little bit how the work is proceeding and what's planned to happen in nearest future - patches, new maps, etc.

I'm very curious you see... :D

Regards,

Capi

Maybe you missed the recent podcast they made?

Had some general info on the game and it's progression :) You can easily find it here on the forums

According to the December community update, they are not planning to introduce any major new gameplay systems to the Sandbox until Story Mode is released - but there will be new systems introduced at the same time as Story Mode. And according to the podcast, they have been 'getting their heads down' on Story Mode since Resolute Outfitter came out. To me this suggests that there won't be another update to Sandbox at all until Story Mode ships (unless something unforeseen happens, causing a delay to Story Mode, and they decide to release an extra Sandbox update to keep the playerbase onside?).

We also know that Story Mode will include new maps (possibly or possibly not available to play in Sandbox as well), and that the introduction of Mooseses is pretty much ready. So there's that.

Anyway, Sandbox updates have generally arrived about every two months over the last couple of years, and it's been about two months since the last one. But it's likely that if Story Mode is indeed the next thing we'll see, it might be a bit longer than normal this time. In any case, they've consistently stated that exact release dates won't be announced until they are certain of meeting them.

You're right, though: it 'feels' like about the right time for a formal progress report.

It felt like few months ago when the Resolute Outfitter update was released, the 4 Days of Night Event, and the release of the teasers on the HInterland YouTube page had everyone super exited for any and all news or gameplay of The Long Dark. I've spent far too much time playing the game, simply just because it's too much fun! I've made posts before about how having the release date for story mode delayed has been a good thing, but the rolling ball has been slowing a little for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the game and want the devs to take their time but I just feel like the hype has died down a little bit. Your thoughts?

I'll definetelly come back to interloper with the new update. A few things we can expect:

1) The moose.

2) Some new first person presence.

3) The revolver.

4) New sprain and infenctions.

Last update was quite big, I like the clothing system, almost perfectly balanced. Wellbeing system aurora etc should be later on but if they happen why not :)

3 hours ago, ByST7 said:

I guess first person presence will come out with story mode. I think It will be the biggest addition in this game.

We have some already, there's room for testing something new I suppose. But yes with story mode a lot of visual stuff will surelly be never seen before, it all depends on their timeline.

Anyway the biggest additions for me are always the gameplay ones. The wellbeing system, house customization, wolfpack behaviour + all the npc stuff that I have no idea what they will be. The only cosmetic thing that I really really really would like to see is world streaming. That would be amazing. Also scary.

9 hours ago, togg said:

I'll definetelly come back to interloper with the new update. A few things we can expect:

1) The moose.

2) Some new first person presence.

3) The revolver.

4) New sprain and infenctions.

Last update was quite big, I like the clothing system, almost perfectly balanced. Wellbeing system aurora etc should be later on but if they happen why not :)

Sorry to once again rain on everyone's parade but nothing official has been announced yet. While near term road map goals will hopefully be part of the game soon, "news" can just as easily be a progress update or timeline for when the next update will be. There's no harm in being optimistic but don't get too hyped up ;)

On 11.03.2017 at 2:34 AM, togg said:

We have some already, there's room for testing something new I suppose. But yes with story mode a lot of visual stuff will surelly be never seen before, it all depends on their timeline.

Anyway the biggest additions for me are always the gameplay ones. The wellbeing system, house customization, wolfpack behaviour + all the npc stuff that I have no idea what they will be. The only cosmetic thing that I really really really would like to see is world streaming. That would be amazing. Also scary.

I've forgotten to write a thing with it. NPC's.  NPC's and some new first person presences. I suppose those two things come out together. I mean I would like to see more new things about the humanity.

10 hours ago, cekivi said:

Sorry to once again rain on everyone's parade but nothing official has been announced yet. While near term road map goals will hopefully be part of the game soon, "news" can just as easily be a progress update or timeline for when the next update will be. There's no harm in being optimistic but don't get too hyped up ;)

I know! Maybe a couple of those 4 I don't know. I'm not hyped at all. I mean I've already played the game way too much so whatever will happens it's ok. At least I'm able to play other things :P

I've had this game since 2015.  I respect the improvements I've seen in playing sandbox mode.  However, I also bought into the game on the prospect of a great story mode game.

Let me put it this way, if I bought a car expecting 4-wheel drive and it had a great feel on the road, anti-lock brakes, wonderful climate control, and a killer sound system, wouldn't I still have some basis for complaining when it turned out there wasn't 4-wheel drive?  Let's say the purchase agreement included the idea that 4-wheel drive would be introduced later and then the vehicle would be outfitted, but as time went by I became convinced that the assurances of 4-wheel drive were hollow.  Maybe the manufacturer had some legal justification, but I would still complain, go to the dealer talk with them, or engage in other activities to be made whole.

I actually think Hinterland made a great game, and that's one of the reasons I'm not grabbing a pitchfork and fiery brand and coming after them.  Frankly, even if I thought I'd been screwed by a bad game, I wouldn't come here to complain, which is why Hinterland should be glad to have fans like me.  I'm not here because I'm an angry fan who didn't get what he wanted.  I've bought plenty of bad games over the years.  I wouldn't bother coming here for a bad game.  I'm a disappointed fan who sees great potential in the product and wants to see the fulfilment of the promise.

I'm a talentless hack, and I hope to be starting further professional goals soon, but I think I have a few months before that all begins.  If you need help hashing out the story, I'll volunteer.  However, in all seriousness, you don't need a monkey with a typewriter (me :wry grin:).  You have a great game and I'm sure you already have the story fleshed out in your heads.  Sit down, write, and get it released.  I will be here singing your praises.  Yes, there will be haters, but if you want a game that is impervious to a hater's hate, you'll be waiting until the day you die.  ...And still the hater will be waiting to hate.  Some of us are waiting to love your lovingly crafted product.  You might give a few haters reign to hate.  ...But if you craft the story mode with the care and attention you've shown the sandbox, you'll get even more love from the lovers waiting patiently for what you have to offer.

Archived