Time to post news on how work progresses

Capi

People moaning about losing game saves seem to have forgotten they've purchased a game in development.

Nothing is permanent until the final release. If you can't deal with that then don't buy early access/game preview games. It's really not that tricky to understand.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, it was always said that with the major, major updates, such as release, there's a strong chance we'll lose our save games, so don't get too attached. 

Ironic that this has people worried in a game that is all about impermanence. 

There does seem to be indication however that we'll get to keep our journals. I hope that's true, I've got a couple I'm quite proud of. I guess I better start a farewell month for Sophe Harlow, living out there on Jack Rabbit island. So long as she survives the new few weeks, in my head, she'll be rescued. I'll even update the final entry to reflect this.

12 hours ago, JAFO said:

It's definitely not Astrid. You see Astrid in the plane at 0:17 in the video. She looks nothing like the woman with the piercings at the 1:41 mark. Going by all the equipment in the background, I suspect she's a researcher of some sort.

Astrid_zps1grmilxo.png~originalResearcher_zpssoml1gxq.png~original

Yeah, we had a discussion earlier about it, astrids a doctor, and all the tech and piercings  are good evidence its not her

On 5/5/2017 at 9:44 AM, thekillergreece said:

Excuse me but does it state anywhere clearly that there won't be POST updates? Ontop of that, have you seen ANY early-access games supporting "alpha" saves to "full version" saves? Rimworld for example, erases save files each after alpha updates.

i posted the FAQ clip-out that clearly defines this.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:38 AM, nicko said:

bad news? what is the bad news? and updates will continue be it sandbox or story. wake up or grow up.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:48 PM, Deathdealers747 said:

Actually, I think not only did they not mention anything about the uninformative timer countdown made it worse, but you guys read the FAQ, right?

In particular, there's this part of the FAQ that I think is MOST important: "While we managed to maintain backwards compatibility with previous saves for our nearly 3-year run in Early Access, due to significant changes to the save architecture required to support our launch, we will be rendering all old saves obsolete as of the FINAL Sandbox update (currently targeting late-May/early-June 2017). In other words, your old games won’t work with the final Sandbox update before we launch our 1.0. It’s worth noting that your Profile data will carry over, however, which means progress towards Feats, or any Badges you’ve unlocked, will carry over. We will provide ample warning before making this switch."

So, next patch that'll come soon will be the last Sandbox Update (Sandbox Fans not quite happy about that? I know I'm not), and it'll render our saves... useless. I'm still 'new' here and bought the game back in Late December when it was on sale for $10. I haven't gotten the 100 Day, 200 Day, or 10 other achievements on Steam yet. So, while my Profile Data will be saved, because my Sandbox Saves will be deleted, then I can no longer press for 100 Days on Stalker or 200 Days on Stalker or 25 of Each Natural Resource collected, etc. 

I know, I know, it's pre-release Alpha. We're not 1.0 yet and this Save Data Overhaul is supposed to prepare the game for the 1.0 release. But I still don't like it. And even though I have a considerable level of self-control, I can't help but think that if THIS was considered 'Bad Backlash' from the community, then what will the next update be considered!? Will the good outweigh the bad? Will the promise of a bright future be fulfilling enough to dial-down the anger of losing your 3-year saves? Or will people rage-quit so bad that they'll never return?

Here's my posting (from above) that defines this. You guys read the FAQ, right? 

5 hours ago, Deathdealers747 said:

Here's my posting (from above) that defines this. You guys read the FAQ, right? 

"and we’d also like to continue updating the “Sandbox Mode” (renamed Survivor Mode). Although we’re proud of what we’ve created so far, there are still lots of things we’d like to add and improve! We also know that regular updates help keep our community engaged with the game, which is important to us."

"will continue to update with all the new content coming in WINTERMUTE and future updates to Survivor Mode."

"We believe that five story episodes and continued updates to the sandbox will help ensure you continue to feel good about your purchase."

If you can't still read those clearly stated quotes, I think you got a problem.

Yes they would like to continue updates, just as they would like to add moose. As many said: "Hinterland didn't promise anything. You just making things up in your mind."

I would like to fly to the mars. Please support me and if i don't fly i'll tell you that nothing was promised that, only that i would like to fly, that you make things up.

"that regular updates are important for the community statement" neither is a promise to actually make updates, nor is it about how and when. Again, everything is just blabla and not a promise. Btw, there is also no promise for future seasons, only for the three remaining episodes after the first release.

9 hours ago, Deathdealers747 said:

I haven't gotten the 100 Day, 200 Day, or 10 other achievements on Steam yet. So, while my Profile Data will be saved, because my Sandbox Saves will be deleted, then I can no longer press for 100 Days on Stalker or 200 Days on Stalker or 25 of Each Natural Resource collected, etc. 

I think you're seriously misreading/misinterpreting what was said.

You'll still be able to work towards those achievements.. but any you haven't reached by the time the next update hits, you'll need to start over.

5 minutes ago, i8turky2 said:

And what does the test branch mean?

The test branch will be available to anyone who wants to participate.  There will be a separate part of the forum for reporting bugs and giving feedback in general about the new stuff.  It is separated like this, so that those who do not participate won't be exposed to spoilers.

7 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

The test branch will be available to anyone who wants to participate.  There will be a separate part of the forum for reporting bugs and giving feedback in general about the new stuff.  It is separated like this, so that those who do not participate won't be exposed to spoilers.

Just a quick note and reminder, as we haven't run a test build in some months -- it is for Steam players only. Other platforms don't offer this as an option for players/developers, at this time. (Xbox One for example). But the good news is that Xbox players, when they do get the final update, will benefit from all the improvements and bug fixes that the test branch uncovers. A cleaner experience overall right out of the gate. 

I'm honestly surprised and baffled as to how Hinterland decided that a countdown to an announcement would be received well by the fans.

To date I always saw this team as... well, in a word; flawless! We all make mistakes - this particular one was a whopper.
Though I cannot help but wonder if the countdown was intended on generating hype and pre-sales. I doubt we will get such a confession - and I want to stress that I am simply wondering if this was the intent - stopping short of accusing Hinterland.

I maintain that the game is still fantastic, even in its unfinished state - and for years it was available at a pittance of $20 when the content was so much more than a lot of other alpha titles available.

I won't echo what a lot of others have already voiced - I am confident enough that the team have taken this criticism and are now mindful of it.

I still have faith in the team and faith in the project. I am certain I am not alone.
Just take it as a sharp slap on the wrist. Nothing was done that cannot be undone. ;)

I knowticed during the trailer for wintermute that the game world was filled with more things? Like the indoor locations were more realistically decorated and outside of carter hydro dam (i think ^_^) there was more scenery. Will this be in the sandbox update? I would look foward to this quite a bit :)

17 minutes ago, i8turky2 said:

I knowticed during the trailer for wintermute that the game world was filled with more things? Like the indoor locations were more realistically decorated and outside of carter hydro dam (i think ^_^) there was more scenery. Will this be in the sandbox update? I would look foward to this quite a bit :)

There will be some updated locations in the sandbox update, according to Hinterland.

1 hour ago, i8turky2 said:

Yes of course, the world of story mode and the world of the sandbox will be the same regarding level of details. But it will not come all in the next update.

On 9/5/2017 at 1:11 AM, JAFO said:

They didn't say.

I'd like to know more as well :( They've become extremelly quieted about everything.

The Hinterland logo changed, daaaamn. I liked the old detailed one. For once that there was good detail they swapped it with minimalism and in game we are getting the opposite lol

Archived