Time to post news on how work progresses

Capi

I have to agree with Pillock here. I would say that by this point, if it is Story Mode (it PROBABLY is ) that it would be in tip-top shape as it is. I feel that Sandbox updates may need beta-testing, but if Story mode needed community testing, it just wouldn't be as special.

Not only will the PR people be sacked, but the people responsible for sacking the PR people, will be sacked. (If you catch my drift here :D)

A countdown to a Sandbox update just seems wonky. I for one would not be very happy.

Say it was a countdown to a Sandbox update, though. Why on earth would they schedule the countdown to be THREE WEEKS in advance??? To me, that seems highly unnecessary for a Sandbox update.

I can see far too many allusions to the release of Story mode for it to be anything but. Taking @cekivi's advice, I will take it with a grain of salt, but a very small grain at that.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

If this turns out to be a countdown to the test branch, I will laugh pretty hard! :D

Me too, but rather because I would honestly prefer the sandbox update. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm also looking forward to Story Mode, but no matter how awesome it may be I already know I'm not going to play it for even 5% of the time I spent playing the Sandbox so far. I'm just not the person to play story-based games over and over again.  Even the greatest of these games don't entertain me any more if I play them more than three times after launch (and afterwards in the long run maybe once every two years) or so.^^

3 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Me too, but rather because I would honestly prefer the sandbox update. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm also looking forward to Story Mode, but no matter how awesome it may be I already know I'm not going to play it for even 5% of the time I spent playing the Sandbox so far. I'm just not the person to play story-based games over and over again.  Even the greatest of these games don't entertain me any more if I play them more than three times after launch (and afterwards in the long run maybe once every two years) or so.^^

They'd previously announced that there wouldn't be any major new game play systems introduced to Sandbox until Story Mode is released, but that new systems or features (at least 2, i think they said?) would arrive alongside Story Mode. But they've now said that there will be one more Sandbox update before Story Mode, so either they've brought one or more of the new features forward to test them first, or else the Sandbox update prior to Story Mode will be relatively minor.

I don't see any reason why they'd put a fancy countdown timer on their website for a 'minor' Sandbox update, so either way, the Sandbox game is going to see some substantial improvements pretty soon, as far as I see it.

Take, for example, the implementation of moose. They "didn't quite make it into December's update", so it's pretty likely they're ready by now. Moose are dangerous and aggressive animals; they're not just fat-guy deer. In order to satisfactorily implement that danger, they're going to need to be able to charge and trample the player: a 'struggle' animation, like we have for bears and wolves,  isn't really going to work so well with moose. Therefore, I think there'll need to be actual proper collision detection between player and animal. And if moose have collision detection, why not apply it to other animals too? The way fleeing animals run around in circles, often towards the source of danger rather than away from it, and even passing through the player-character like a ghost, is, in all honesty, fairly shoddy as a game play system and smacks of being 'unfinished'. I think that above most other things wants sorting out before full  release (Story Mode), otherwise it's surely going to be highlighted negatively by reviewers and such.

So - and this is all conjecture on my part, I know - I predict the Hinterland team want to test moose behaviour and collision detection on the Alpha player base before Story Mode hits, to make sure it works properly. And I predict that this update will arrive in the next week or so, in order for them to have time to iron out any problems before the Final Countdown expires.

I'm quite prepared to be utterly wrong ,but that's what i think !

I don't know how they'd pull it off, but there should be collision AND a struggle mechanic, though it would be vastly different from normal. Moose tend to knock you down, come back around, and crush your pretty rib cage into jelly with their front hooves. If this is implemented, there should be a way out of it, because otherwise you are dead. They should be very dangerous, hard to kill and knock you down lots of condition similar to a bear. If you don't know from experience, look up the moose attack from Cabela's dangerous hunts 2009. It's old, but it's intense. That's what it should be like in my opinion.

Also check out how that game deals with hyenas. That would be a pretty badass move with wolves.

On 4/13/2017 at 6:44 AM, Pillock said:

The way fleeing animals run around in circles, often towards the source of danger rather than away from it, and even passing through the player-character like a ghost, is, in all honesty, fairly shoddy as a game play system and smacks of being 'unfinished'. I think that above most other things wants sorting out before full  release

I love this game, but this is easily the most disappointing aspect in my opinion.  I truly hope they have put some time into improving this.

Friends, that you argue). What will be there). I personally read the list of their promises), and I believe them), especially began to believe after they kept their promise, I remember they said in December last year that they would release an update before the Christmas holidays) and they kept it. So everything has its time), the more so, of course, they came up with so much amazing. More unexpectedly).

The way I see it: it's either Story Mode, or it isn't. I'm fine with either. I've waited for two years for story mode. In that time, I've seen numerous updates. I've seen this Early Access, Alpha sandbox game progress, grow, falter, reassess, and come back stronger than ever. I've gotten so much more entertainment for my $20 investment than I ever could have anticipated or hoped for. As of this writing, I've invested 1168 hours of gameplay into TLD. A whopping $0.02 US per hour of game time. During those 1168 hours, I've felt genuine anxiety. Genuine fear. Genuine joy. Genuine accomplishment. Genuine heartache. That's a hell of a return on investment. Hinterland has already made a hell of a great game, and it's still ALPHA. I've gotten more than my money's worth, and I've somehow still been promised more? You'll hear no complaints from me. Keep up the good work, Hinterland.  

11 hours ago, AlexandraRussia said:

Forgive me if, my words are incomprehensible to you, I'm writing a translator through Google.

Its all good, its good to hear your input! 

The hinterland team definitely keeps its promises. And their updates are always rich in new content.

Welcome to the forums!

On 4/14/2017 at 8:03 AM, Timber Wolf said:

I love this game, but this is easily the most disappointing aspect in my opinion.  I truly hope they have put some time into improving this.

Wounded animals can continue to be a hazard especially a wounded bear. Usually a wounded wolf will not risk another attack, if you have not sustained damage to your character however, if you had one wolf fight and are in low condition, beware! The wolves may zero in on you especially if you are bleeding and leaving blood scent. Is that a thing? Scent of blood from wounds attracting predators in the game?

I do agree with one thing, the evolution of animal behaviours presents the richest opportunities for game enhancements. I especially would like to see more random behaviours, more ranging by wolves. Wolf threat becomes much more of a concern if they patrol larger areas or have random exploration behaviour of seeking out scents and tracking humans, stalking humans and staking out your habitation. That could really up the ante on Interlooper and Stalker.

2 hours ago, SteveP said:

Wolf threat becomes much more of a concern if they patrol larger areas or have random exploration behaviour of seeking out scents and tracking humans, stalking humans and staking out your habitation. That could really up the ante on Interlooper and Stalker.

Especially if you leave piles of fresh meat on display just outside your home!

1 hour ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

detail... you mean we still do 't know if the timer if for story mode ??

No that part hasn't changed.  We still don't know what the timer is for.  Previously, they said:

There will be one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. More details about that update will be available soon. The team continues to be hard at work, creating the best experience we can for you. We appreciate your patience while we do so.

I guess we all inferred that this Story Mode meant the official full launch of the game, but the tweet states that explicitly.  I did say "a little". :D

Archived