Some more minor tweaks

tentacles

(1) Loosing your Fishing Tackle (FT)

Once you start fishing, you catch fish in random intervals. When that happens, a hook icon in the lower-right corner will pop up; probably to indicate that you still have your FT. Sometimes though, the fishing action is terminated, which probably is to indicate that you lost your FT.

(1.1) There is no need for the FT icon to pop up when you caught a fish. The fact that you managed to catch one should be indication enough that you didn't loose your FT.

(1.2) If you loose your FT, an icon should pop up to indicate that you lost your FT. This would make it pretty clear why the fishing action stopped.

(2) Taking water from a fishing hole

If I break through the ice to start fishing, shouldn't it also be possible to take water from that hole? This would make fishing a little more worth while.

Of course, I don't want to get potable water from such a hole. This would make that feature too OP.

(3) Breaking down branches

If I am on a wood collecting run, I tend to pick up the sticks first. Depending on how much fuel I need, I also break down branches. The issue is, that I always have to select "break down by hand" if I want to conserve my tools. It would be nice if the game would remember the player's last choice instead of auto-selecting a tool. This change should probably also apply when harvesting furniture or the like.

Let the game check which tools the player currently has and then select the last tool used if it is still available. If not, auto-select the best available option.

(4) Harvesting maple/birch saplings

Currently this works as if you would pick up those saplings from the ground, not like harvesting a branch for example. So this feels a little inconsistent.

Changing this to a real harvesting interface would allow to select the tool that should be used. I can't tell at the moment, if different tools are even supported (like by-hand, hacksaw?).

(5) Torches / Remaining Time

When I select a "Storm Lantern" inside my inventory, I can see how much fuel it has left (e.g. "0.86 L / 1.00 L"). It would help if there was a similar display when I select a torch.

Currently I have to equip a torch to see its progress bar in the top-left corner of the screen. That is a rather complicated method to decide which one to keep or take with me.

I know that you will also see a "remaining time progress bar" when you pick up a torch. To use this method, you would have to drop both torches and pick up the one you want. So also not the best solution.

1 hour ago, tentacles said:

(1) Loosing your Fishing Tackle (FT)

Once you start fishing, you catch fish in random intervals. When that happens, a hook icon in the lower-right corner will pop up; probably to indicate that you still have your FT. Sometimes though, the fishing action is terminated, which probably is to indicate that you lost your FT.

(1.1) There is no need for the FT icon to pop up when you caught a fish. The fact that you managed to catch one should be indication enough that you didn't loose your FT.

(1.2) If you loose your FT, an icon should pop up to indicate that you lost your FT. This would make it pretty clear why the fishing action stopped.

When you catch a fish, the hook icon does not indicate that you still have your tackle. Instead it indicates that you have acquired a fishing skill point. When you amass sufficient points you will progress to the next fishing skill level. Different icons will appear for the other skills (cooking, archery, mending,carcass harvesting etc) when you acquire skill points.

(2) Taking water from a fishing hole

If I break through the ice to start fishing, shouldn't it also be possible to take water from that hole? This would make fishing a little more worth while.

Of course, I don't want to get potable water from such a hole. This would make that feature too OP.

(3) Breaking down branches

If I am on a wood collecting run, I tend to pick up the sticks first. Depending on how much fuel I need, I also break down branches. The issue is, that I always have to select "break down by hand" if I want to conserve my tools. It would be nice if the game would remember the player's last choice instead of auto-selecting a tool. This change should probably also apply when harvesting furniture or the like.

Let the game check which tools the player currently has and then select the last tool used if it is still available. If not, auto-select the best available option.

The ideas for taking non-potable water from a fishing hole and for remembering the last used tool have both been mentioned before but are worth repeating.

(4) Harvesting maple/birch saplings

Currently this works as if you would pick up those saplings from the ground, not like harvesting a branch for example. So this feels a little inconsistent.

Changing this to a real harvesting interface would allow to select the tool that should be used. I can't tell at the moment, if different tools are even supported (like by-hand, hacksaw?).

Both hacksaws and hatchets can be used to harvest saplings. Do we need an interface for an operation that takes about an in-game minute with either tool?

(5) Torches / Remaining Time

When I select a "Storm Lantern" inside my inventory, I can see how much fuel it has left (e.g. "0.86 L / 1.00 L"). It would help if there was a similar display when I select a torch.

Currently I have to equip a torch to see its progress bar in the top-left corner of the screen. That is a rather complicated method to decide which one to keep or take with me.

I know that you will also see a "remaining time progress bar" when you pick up a torch. To use this method, you would have to drop both torches and pick up the one you want. So also not the best solution.

I'm not sure about the problem with torches. You can see a usage percentage in the inventory before you select one and again when you pick one up. If you have two in your inventory, side by side, it is easy enough to compare them based on these percentages.

14 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

does not indicate that you still have your tackle. Instead it indicates that you have acquired a fishing skill point

Of course, I didn't think about that. Thanks

15 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

Do we need an interface for an operation that takes about an in-game minute with either tool?

We already have an interface, so some time will be spent either way. If the game would remember the last tool used, that time would be reduced to a minimum, because you would only have to click on a "Harvest" button. And whether your click again to "pick it up" or to "harvest" shouldn't really make a difference.

18 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

You can see a usage percentage in the inventory before you select one and again when you pick one up

I see, I looked at these percentages as quality/durability only and didn't realize that these could also be looked at as an indication for the remaining burn time.

2 minutes ago, tentacles said:

I see, I looked at these percentages as quality/durability only and didn't realize that these could also be looked at as an indication for the remaining burn time.

Just need to remember that brandishing a torch instantly uses around 10%.

Archived