On-map save points

cekivi

Interesting discussion! In terms of these speculative on-map locations -- are we talking something like the typewriter in Resident Evil or the phone/comm system in Alien: Isolation? I guess my question would be how these would be different than the current system that saves at a variety of major and minor locations through entering interior locations.

It's true though, depending on how you play, your game might save on its own quite frequently or quite rarely, depending on the choices you are making. The Pass Time feature is always there, however, with or without a bedroll. 

Personally I'd be fine with either of the following two options:

1. A fallen log to sit on, a post to lean up against, etc. to allow your character a brief "rest" and save your progress (so a resident evil type system)

2. An auto-save whenever you enter an on map named location (e.g. unnamed pond).

Again, they're more to avoid having to pass time or sleep in an undesirable spot or with poor weather. I've made the mistake once of reading a book on mystery lake only to become wolf chow when one spawned in directly in front of me. Lesson learned: animals can spawn while passing time/reading not just sleeping! :)

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @shade_grey and I don't know. ^_^

That may be saving a little too frequently for some players though (i.e. save before every rifle or bow shot).

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure why frequent saving is a bad thing in a game where every action should have some consequence.

But, I think that a big issue with the saving process is that is seems to take a bit of time and therefore resources (i.e. RAM, CPU), so for slow computers or otherwise fast computers that are running background processes that are resource intensive, it can cause the game to have a little hiccup. It probably won't be much but if you're running away from a wolf or a bear it could mean life or death (in-game).

So we can't have the game save after every action; however, since a player, in most circumstances, accesses the in-game menu whenever they leave their game, it can be used as way to autosave the game since the game is currently paused at that point.

After thinking a little bit about it however, there is a little issue since the game is still currently in alpha. At the moment there are places wherein a player can get stuck. If the player isn't educated to know not to access the in-game menu in when exiting after getting stuck, it will result in a needlessly lost game.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:48 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

The Pass Time feature is always there, however, with or without a bedroll. 

I prefer Pass Time because I can do it anywhere.  Sure it costs me an hour and maybe some condition depending on my situation, but that's a fair trade off.  Better than having to find some object or place in the world in fog or a blizzard.  

Archived