To combat save abuse in Interloper

ThatDearGuy

My suggestion is quite simple. Make the game autosave the instant after you have fired the bow or flare gun. That way you can't for example exit your game and reload from Trapper's Cabin every time you miss a deer. No do-overs for bear / wolf hunting, every action matters.

That sounds fine as long as it doesn't slow down the game and increased saves doesn't increase the chance of save corruption. The biggest issue I have with saves right now is with Forlorn Muskeg because interiors are so uncommon and there's no good way to force a save often I have to lose some significant progress or sleep in a position that is a bad idea if I need to quit playing.

My honest opinion is that it's fine as it is. There are no prizes/leaderboards so people can't exploit this mechanic to win stuff unfairly. If people want to change (ruin?) their own game experience by doing this then I think they should be allowed to; it's not harming anyone!

Obviously, if there was no risk at all of slowing down the game or save corruption, then sure, why not.

3 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

My honest opinion is that it's fine as it is. There are no prizes/leaderboards so people can't exploit this mechanic to win stuff unfairly. If people want to change (ruin?) their own game experience by doing this then I think they should be allowed to; it's not harming anyone!

I agree.

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Obviously, if there was no risk at all of slowing down the game or save corruption, then sure, why not.

this^^

i wonder why people think they should regulate others in a single player game :) if it would be me, i would give a 3 level quicksave for the lowest difficulty. many ppl plays games for just the experience and fun and not for challenge. dont even mention bugs that can ruin 200 days in a blink.

4 hours ago, ThatDearGuy said:

I understand. I might create a mod for that at some point, provided an API becomes available.

That could be an interesting mod for someone who has gotten into the habit of reloading, add a bit of spice.  I'd never stopped to think about it so haven't ever reloaded for those sorts of things.  Getting stuck on a a bit of rock I should be able to walk over, oh yes.  Spent my last bullet shooting at thin air.... nope just resigned myself to my inevitable doom.

Every time I sprain my ankle, the game stutters a little as it autosaves. If this happened while I was in a bow fight with a wolf, for example, it could have pretty horrific repercussions. @Captain Obvious stated the obvious (obviously). It's a single player game, and save scumming doesn't hurt anyone else.

I've only done it once, after waking up and failing 3 80%-chance jacket mendings back-to-back to-back with my only 6 pieces of cloth. I was frustrated at the time, so was happy to cheat a tiny bit to rectify what I perceived as unfairness/outrageous bad luck.

Archived