Warming Up and Freezing Meatw

Sharky

It's interesting how various canned foods and drinks can be warmed up, but meat currently can't. I see no reason why this isn't possible, so it's probably just a slight oversight. The mechanic is already in place. So can we have the ability to heat up all types of meat (including fish) for the Warming Up effect and temperature boost that is already implemented?

I think it would also be nice to add another mechanic, the freezing of meat. When meat is stored outside, it slowly starts to freeze. This is shown as a percentage when you hover over the item. When meat is completely frozen, it becomes inedible, but decays much slowly. All meat will slowly reheat when near a fire (like warming up a carcass), or a piece can be re-cooked on a fire. In addition, harvesting a frozen carcass will give you frozen meat.

I like the idea that meat should freeze if stored outside. I would go even further and let anything (food, clothes, guts, hides, etc.) freeze if placed outdoors. Currently, it is too easy to make use of the lower outdoor decay rate.

The heat buff on the other hand doesn't sound too good: If you look at the roadmap (http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/), Hinterland plans to add seasons (long term goal). So I guess that we will probably also have to fight overheating during summer. And I really don't want to sit inside a fridge just because I had to eat :)

Intersting idea, I think it will work well so long as basic meat hygiene is maintained, such as only being able to reheat food so many times before it becomes mouldy. Heating up meat should definitely be an option, you may possibly be able to craft a splint or  a stand etc for cooking on.

You could also make cooking faster when using conventional cookers such as the stove in the farmhouse as opposed to it being slower when using say a campfire.

Archived