Signal Hill Radio, a Hinterland Games Podcast — Episode 1

Our first official episode of the Signal Hill Radio podcast is now available! Listen to Raph and Patrick dive deep into John Carpenter’s 1982 survival-horror classic, The Thing (movie spoiler alert), discuss the realities of procedurally-generated games, and reflect on community-informed game development.

Listen on our website: http://hinterlandgames.com/signal-hill-radio-ep1

Find it on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/signal-hill-radio-hinterland/id1201021120?mt=2

We will also soon be announcing the winner of the community fan contest for our new podcast art. Thank you to everyone who submitted their work!

• Upvote 4

Just now, Mel Guille said:

We put out a call on our Facebook and Twitter inviting players to email us their questions. We might do it differently next time, though, since many people missed it or tried to submit questions by other channels, which can get a bit challenging to manage. 

Personally I'd suggest making a new sub-forum here on the official forums to post the questions on so people can see what's already been asked..

• Upvote 3

I really enjoyed it.

Watching The Thing immediately before listening to the podcast certainly made a big difference. Perhaps I'll go and watch the Mad Max movies and then re-listen to episode 0! If you're going to reference a particular movie or book in future episodes, maybe you could let us know a little in advance so we can keep up? It'd be like a TLD book group!

It's interesting to hear what has influenced the lead game designers in terms of their pop-cultural upbringing, particularly if there are nods towards those influences in the game (as there clearly is with The Thing). I found the discussion you had about the characters' backgrounds in The Thing to strike a particular chord, as this is the most obvious aspect of TLD that we are (or I am, at least) anticipating now: who is this character we are playing as and how did s/he wind up in the situation?

Also this: (Spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen the movie)

Maybe the 'Thing' was just the cook on his spaceship! I thought this comment was hilarious.

I love the idea that 'it' was some Stephen Seagal type, trying to live a peaceful life but plunged into a conflict beyond his control, surrounded by hostile creatures and having to kick ass so that he can get home safely.

Edited by Pillock

On 3/2/2017 at 1:58 PM, MarrowStone said:

I wonder if the communitie's recent discussion on The Thing inspired them to talk about it.

Quick question... if another community mailbag happens, where am i supposed to go to participate? I didnt find any notifications or links to submit any.

We'll put out a call for questions a day or two before the next recording. We'd like to include some kind of Q&A segment in each episode going forward. 

The various discussions around The Thing are always of interest to us. :)

In this case, it was a favorite movie of both of ours, so we went with it. A survival tale to be sure as well! Thanks for listening everyone. 

• Upvote 1

Good job with the talk guys. I read the book 'the thing' along while ago now before i watched the movie. Great story with amazing atmosphere and suspense. Good to see where the devs are getting inspiration from. 

Favourite part though was hearing about the long dark and when the question time came around. 

Was wondering how often these great podcasts are planned? Monthly, or fortnightly? I just really enjoy knowing more about the development of the game. Thanks hinterland :D

Also if i wanna ask a question which section can i post it in? A question such as 'how deep will the AI interations with the player be in story mode followed later by sandbox?'

On 3/7/2017 at 3:10 PM, i8turky2 said:

Good job with the talk guys. I read the book 'the thing' along while ago now before i watched the movie. Great story with amazing atmosphere and suspense. Good to see where the devs are getting inspiration from. 

Favourite part though was hearing about the long dark and when the question time came around. 

Was wondering how often these great podcasts are planned? Monthly, or fortnightly? I just really enjoy knowing more about the development of the game. Thanks hinterland :D

Also if i wanna ask a question which section can i post it in? A question such as 'how deep will the AI interations with the player be in story mode followed later by sandbox?'

Hey @i8turky2, glad you are enjoying the casts so far. Our goal is to get 1-2 (hopefully 2!) our per month, as we can. As it's a new channel for us we haven't settled into a strict schedule yet. 

We're actually going to be recording ep. 2 very soon, so if you'd like to get a question in for consideration, feel free to email to us at info@hinterland games.com so we can take a look. (I see the question about AI above, but wanted to let you know about our plans in any case). :) Cheers!

17 hours ago, togg said:

Wait a second I've missed this right? It's not the first first episode, that was zero... The Thing is a big big film, can't wait to listen to the podcast. I also have a little question to make.

Yes, we did previously do an Episode 0 to try out the idea. If you're ever worried you've missed one, you should be able to find a list of all our published podcasts here: http://hinterlandgames.com/category/podcast/

They are also all listed on iTunes, here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/signal-hill-radio-hinterland/id1201021120

• Upvote 1

the film the Divide reminded me of the thing a lost, isolation, close proximity survival, however it seems more horrific what people are able to do to others, just with cabin fever and no alien. Made me glad that the Long Dark has only one person freaking out from cabin fever sometimes!

Nice. I think the second part is better not because you start talking about TLD but because the flow of discussion seems more fluent and random. I'm speaking for myself but that's what I like in podcasts, the randomness that you get when people talks together without stress or a strict schedule (that should be present anyway).

Sooo.

The Thing is wonderfull.

I had no idea that some people were so aggressive in thinking that there's some kind of "scam" going on because of story mode. I guess it's the price of living in this moment in time and those spaces, sad. But I can definetelly see how a lot of people dismissed the enormous progress and possibilities of the sandbox because of story mode. Maybe in the future (next game) the two things should travel together, I'm sure there're ways.

It's also interesting to see that the team feels the need to have some kind of a different relationship with the desires of the players. Also something to explore on next game.

When it was mentioned the relationship of the thing and the sense of the outpost isolated and with a menace and the future games I thought again about the spaceship game that Ralph mentioned once. It could have some kind of loose connection, where in the spaceship you discover more about what happened to earth and there's something strange going on. And maybe more action :)) (MAYBE rpg things) And a big ship where seeing stuff in the distance can be usefull. And then the third game will be directly in another world. A zelda/skyrim game but done properly. With a very nice story and strange strange politics going on.

Ok bye. Wake me up in 30 years. :P

Edited by togg
  • Upvote 1

On 3/7/2017 at 8:26 AM, shw said:

Hi! Is there any chance to get an subtitles for this podcast?

A transcript would be awesome, I can hear it I turn the volume way up, but not everyone has that option.  Plus it would make translation much easier for folks who don't speak English.  

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Hoping to see some more of these sometimes soon - this has kept me a good company while browsing forums. But I get that this is somewhat time-consuming.

Not that I have anything against both of you, gentlemen - but if you two dont have the time, perhaps different staff members might host another one? :D I am sure the community will enjoy hearing either you, or some other people behind the TLD, and what kind of people they are. Podcasts are a great way to introduce the staff to the public.

• 1 year later...