Why are there no lighters?

Vinceofpyrenees

On 1.2.2017 at 9:59 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Why lighters does'nt exist in TLD ?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briquet

I suggested this Over and over again for years now it simply doesn't make it into the game. :(   

Also as I said many times before we can refill the lighter with the accelerant fluid which is supposed to be used like that anyway. I hope that some will at least answer this time cheers :)

8 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

How are you imagining a lighter would change the experience of the game? Would lighting fires become easier?

Its a way to use up all that lantern fuel and accelerant to actually start a fire rather than just make matches more reliable. A blue flame lighter would also make a very good rare top tier fire starter. Right now your entire survival is based on what you have to start fire so more options besides matches are always welcome.

2 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

How are you imagining a lighter would change the experience of the game? Would lighting fires become easier?

Thanks MellGuille.

I think maybe a little easier (like 5%) to start fire than wood match. It's a item used to startfire and make light to see. It's just a question of realism for me.

Of course, all the accelerant, as he said, could now be used at its full potential.

PS : a lighter is nice, beautiful and very light to carry !

10 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

Well it should especially if it is a Zippo. it makes sense since you can light up much larger part with a lighter then you could with a match before it burns up, but more importantly it would give us a variety of options. Here is how:

Reduce the spawning of matches by 40% and increase the spawning of accelerant by 20%  also introduce new item Zippo lighter which will start a fire by decreasing 10% of it's condition. The only way to increase it's condition back to full is by spending 1 accelerant fluid. Also you must never deplete it completely  because it will dry out and freeze and will be ruined.

The devs introduced so many new items in this game I'm sure that this will be minor inconvenience for them but it will give the game much character. Trust me I know this I've been with TLD from day one ;) 

On 2017-02-05 at 0:08 AM, vancopower said:

Well it should especially if it is a Zippo. it makes sense since you can light up much larger part with a lighter then you could with a match before it burns up, but more importantly it would give us a variety of options. Here is how:

Reduce the spawning of matches by 40% and increase the spawning of accelerant by 20%  also introduce new item Zippo lighter which will start a fire by decreasing 10% of it's condition. The only way to increase it's condition back to full is by spending 1 accelerant fluid. Also you must never deplete it completely  because it will dry out and freeze and will be ruined.

The devs introduced so many new items in this game I'm sure that this will be minor inconvenience for them but it will give the game much character. Trust me I know this I've been with TLD from day one ;) 

The zippo should behave more like a lantern instead. The flints for the striker will eventually wear out even if you keep filling the lighter. Plus you can use the zippo as an emergency light source somewhere between a match and a brand. Fuel would be consumed when it's lit and you can also use the lit zippo to start a fire much like a lit torch/brand/flare.

44 minutes ago, cekivi said:

The zippo should behave more like a lantern instead. The flints for the striker will eventually wear out even if you keep filling the lighter. Plus you can use the zippo as an emergency light source somewhere between a match and a brand. Fuel would be consumed when it's light and if you light the zippo then you can use it to start a fire much like a lit torch/brand/flare.

this. a zippo should definitely wear off completely with starting fire again and again though it should offer a better chance to make fire and should be a long term small light source. based on how short lived storm lanterns are, im afraid lighters will use way too much fuel. i have a storm lantern that is really old style and can use with a litre of kerosene for like 2 days non-stop. them running out in a few hours ingame is not funny...

58 minutes ago, vargata said:

this. a zippo should definitely wear off completely with starting fire again and again though it should offer a better chance to make fire and should be a long term small light source. based on how short lived storm lanterns are, im afraid lighters will use way too much fuel. i have a storm lantern that is really old style and can use with a litre of kerosene for like 2 days non-stop. them running out in a few hours ingame is not funny...

True. Downside is if the lanterns behaved realistically than darkness wouldn't be a problem for several weeks O_o

3 minutes ago, cekivi said:

True. Downside is if the lanterns behaved realistically than darkness wouldn't be a problem for several weeks O_o

well, i dont feel the need of darkness to be a problem, nights are boring now when you are waking up fully rested and you cant go out. you could use that time for reading or crafting if lanterns would give light longer instead of just sitting there and waiting. atm i just wait 1-2 hours in the bed and then sleeping an hour until its morning or keep cooking as that does not need light. i feel these artificial restrictions more of a chore than added difficulty. making archery realistic instead of the current point-shooting would add difficulty but sitting in the dark room...

• 4 weeks later...

I really appreciate the skill of always having to have fuel, tinder, igniter, starter, etc to start a fire. Why not have a zippo lighter or even a cheap little plastic bic, each with different durabilities and a set number of ignites?

Is there nobody that smokes in Canada? Cigarettes, cigars, blunts? I see it kind of unrealistic that there are all these matches laying around, but not a single lighter? I mean come on...

Anyone else with me here?

37 minutes ago, IanS said:

I also like the idea of a rare traditional flint & steel set that lasts forever and won't run out like a lighter or matches.

We could also assume the knife is carbon steel and then we just need the flint..   But how many ways to make fire do we need? :) there's lots of options that might be realistic, but don't really add much to the game play.   (I believe at least one more is on the roadmap)

In terms of lasting forever, despite being true in RL, this creates a balance issue in the game (even if it is really rare).  Magnifying glass lasts forever (I think), but is balanced by the limited conditions in which it can be used. 

Lighters are a good fit, since they are very common IRL, and have a good mechanic for being used up.  They work essentially just like matches, but add a bit of variety..

P.S.  one way I see to make the traditional flint viable is to have it light only char-cloth (tinder), which would have to be made beforehand :) (or they could add a condition to the flint, even if that is a bit artificial. OR, they could make it so that your knife condition decreases if you use it on the flint.. there's a decision to make....)

3 hours ago, toebar said:

We could also assume the knife is carbon steel and then we just need the flint..   But how many ways to make fire do we need? :) there's lots of options that might be realistic, but don't really add much to the game play.   (I believe at least one more is on the roadmap)

In terms of lasting forever, despite being true in RL, this creates a balance issue in the game (even if it is really rare).  Magnifying glass lasts forever (I think), but is balanced by the limited conditions in which it can be used. 

Lighters are a good fit, since they are very common IRL, and have a good mechanic for being used up.  They work essentially just like matches, but add a bit of variety..

P.S.  one way I see to make the traditional flint viable is to have it light only char-cloth (tinder), which would have to be made beforehand :) (or they could add a condition to the flint, even if that is a bit artificial. OR, they could make it so that your knife condition decreases if you use it on the flint.. there's a decision to make....)

You shouldn't actually need char cloth. It's the best, but there are dozens of other types of tinder that would work well, like lichen. I suppose it would make sense, though, that even if you are above level 3 with firestarting, you would still need tinder for the flint and steel, but that drawback would be balanced by the fact that the flint and steel will basically never wear out. This sort of ties into the recent thread on tools, where I suggested that a few ultra-rare but legendary items that are high performance and are practically immune to wear would be a fun addition. Anyways, there is no point discussing the flint and steel further, because I found out while perusing the game's code, that it is already in the game and just not activated. It has texture graphics, but no description yet, and is hidden from normal gameplay, so I assume they are still working on the animation and mechanics.

37 minutes ago, IanS said:

You shouldn't actually need char cloth. It's the best, but there are dozens of other types of tinder that would work well, like lichen.

That was purely my suggestion to make it work in game--  a compromise with a drawback to balance it :).   Just having any tinder is not a real drawback--as you always end up to way too much of the stuff anyway.

46 minutes ago, toebar said:

That was purely my suggestion to make it work in game--  a compromise with a drawback to balance it :).   Just having any tinder is not a real drawback--as you always end up to way too much of the stuff anyway.

Yeah that makes sense that there should be something to balance it. I was thinking just the rarity would be one of main balancing factor, like there's only one hidden in the entire sandbox. I really want some rare items in the game. Anyhow, since my last comment I went and added the flint and steel that's hidden in the game code to my inventory and it turns out it actually is usable but has a bunch of big handicaps and isn't that durable. I started a fire with it, and it's less reliable than the other methods when my fire-striker likeliness was 100%, the likeliness with the flint and steel was only 70%. It weighs a whopping 1.1 lbs. And it wears down just like the fire-striker. It comes in a big green metal box with a white safety cross on it and is almost the size of a tool box. I'm not impressed. Maybe the only reason it isn't active is that the developers don't like it and can't agree on how to balance it out.

15 minutes ago, IanS said:

Anyhow, since my last comment I went and added the flint and steel that's hidden in the game code to my inventory and it turns out it actually is usable but has a bunch of big handicaps and isn't that durable.

Careful. Hinterlands prefers players not to alter the game's code until mod support has been added. As you pointed out while the asset may exist it has been removed from the game for a reason.

Archived