More food types

pigbull320

More mushrooms! Obviously lots of forageables will make sense as soon as they add seasons to the game. Blackberries, currants, miner's lettuce, plantain, sorrel, salsify, wapato, cat tail stalks, burdock, fiddleheads, truffles, etc. During spawning season you would find partial salmon carcasses left by bears on the riverbanks, and later in the season you might find dead spawned-out salmon all over for a short period. On the coastal highway there would probably be crabs and oysters, and various types of clams, maybe geoducks and razor clams if it's supposed to be on the West Coast. And for those cupboards, how about a boxed food that is to blurry enough so as not to infringe on any trademarks, but is obviously meant to depict Kraft dinner. Bullion cubes or powder would be a great find. How about some ramen noodles. And how about all the long lasting dry foods that you would likely find, like rice, barley, lentils, peas, and all sorts of beans? Mixed nuts? Scalloped potatoes in a box? Pancake batter mix? Seems like everywhere I go in Canada, there are plenty of immigrants too, so there's no reason all the foods should be quintessentially Canadian.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/03/2017 at 4:34 AM, IanS said:

how about all the long lasting dry foods that you would likely find, like rice, barley, lentils, peas, and all sorts of beans? 

This is an excellent idea. This kind of food usually forms a core of most modern diets as well as prepper caches. 

Very slowly degrading food, which requires cooking before it can be eaten, and requires a certain amount of water to cook. You'd get a lot of calories for the (dry) weight, but the added effort of required water and cooking provides the game-balance. It'd also be an in-game use for non-potable water, as it would be boiled in the cooking process. The light weight makes it a good source of portable calories, but the added difficulty of cooking makes it a poor food in emergencies and therefore an ideal basecamp food (again choices, compromises and sacrifices).

It would be an elegant addition to the game.

The only thing to keep in mind is that perishable food shouldn't be implemented or be severely rotted... By the way it seems Sandbox is set up, we are days after the geomagnetic disaster, as there are already corpses littering the place. Finding freshly cooked rabbit in the oven just seems off to me. Dry foods I am perfectly fine with though. ^_^

On 3/24/2017 at 10:06 AM, Dug said:

This is an excellent idea. This kind of food usually forms a core of most modern diets as well as prepper caches. 

Very slowly degrading food, which requires cooking before it can be eaten, and requires a certain amount of water to cook. You'd get a lot of calories for the (dry) weight, but the added effort of required water and cooking provides the game-balance. It'd also be an in-game use for non-potable water, as it would be boiled in the cooking process. The light weight makes it a good source of portable calories, but the added difficulty of cooking makes it a poor food in emergencies and therefore an ideal basecamp food (again choices, compromises and sacrifices).

It would be an elegant addition to the game.

I've seen a lot of overly complicated ideas for added food items, but I love this idea. I don't think it would be too difficult to implement, since certain items already require adding water to cook (the teas and coffee), but this would have a lot higher calorie content. The variety adds another component to the game, but not just for the sake of variety.

11 hours ago, zazie said:

I've seen a lot of overly complicated ideas for added food items, but I love this idea. I don't think it would be too difficult to implement, since certain items already require adding water to cook (the teas and coffee), but this would have a lot higher calorie content. The variety adds another component to the game, but not just for the sake of variety.

Dry rice is about 3600 calories per kg. This would cook into about 3kg (~1200 cal/kg) of cooked rice. Common portion sizes range from 60g to 90g of (dry) rice per serving, which would only be 215 to 325 calories per portion. Even assuming large portion sizes to feed your survival-need, it's not going to be a game-changer in terms of calorie input either.

On 29.3.2017 at 5:18 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I would like to see less manufactured food, and more recipes from meat you harvest.

Yeah, a bit more variety besides frying/grilling meat would certainly be very welcome. We already have multiple cooking skill levels, why not combining them with e.g. the ability to cook more "complex" (yeah, a very relative term for combining cans of premade food with meat, I know^^) recipes like chili-con-deer meat or soups/stews/whatever? ;)

Regarding premade food, I personally would love maple syrup or honey to be implemented. 

I personally would like to see more advanced food. Say they put in harvesting bones from a dead deer and you can make a bone broth, find some dried or fresh herbs and you can make a savory soup with that broth, some random edible plants and a bit of meat. But only if your cooking skill is good or you find a recipe somewhere.

Archived