don't freeze to death in your sleep

IanS

Being cold wakes you up. It's not realistic that you can just freeze to death in your sleep. You should be able to see all your condition statuses while sleeping, and you should be able to cancel sleep. If I were very cold in the middle of the night, I wouldn't just keep sleeping, I would wake up and at least try to do something about it. Make a fire, do some jumping jacks, use an emergency stim. I know not everything can make it onto the roadmap, but I feel that patently unrealistic things like this should have a high priority.

On an interloper run I made this very mistake.  My character was freezing and curled up one last time in the bedroll. 

I then learned that if you are above freezing before sleeping and the temperature drops to below freezing the character will wake up.  There is text at the bottom of the display indicating that you woke up freezing.

Now I always check the feels like temperature before sleeping. Sometimes just passing time in the bedroll to make sure I am above freezing than going to sleep for only an hour.

edit:

The last time I woke up freezing was when I was new to the game and playing Voyageur.  With Interloper you will freeze to death in your sleep and not wake up..

6 minutes ago, JErosion said:

in real life when most people die to hypothermia they go to sleep, the deep cold will sap your strength until exhaustion takes you

That happens when people are already hypothermic, but that's not what I'm talking about. If you go to sleep totally warm, and it gets freezing in the middle of the night, you wake up. If that wasn't the case, people would freeze to death all the time just from kicking their blankets off in the middle of the night.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:07 AM, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

I then learned that if you are above freezing before sleeping and the temperature drops to below freezing the character will wake up.  There is text at the bottom of the display indicating that you woke up freezing.

Is this confirmed? It's the first I've heard of it and I've never experienced it (though I usually don't sleep in places it's likely to happen). I've actually read many experienced members on the board here recommend that players sleep in 2-hour bursts because the game doesn't wake you up if the temperature drops below freezing.

The game does not wake you up if you are freezing. If you sleep long enough while freezing you'll die.

If you wake up after the allotted sleep time you chose passes, and while you were asleep the temp dropped and you are freezing, you will get that red text YOU WOKE UP FREEZING.  You simply woke up before your health ran out.

On 2/28/2017 at 8:07 AM, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

On an interloper run I made this very mistake.  My character was freezing and curled up one last time in the bedroll. 

Now I always check the feels like temperature before sleeping. Sometimes just passing time in the bedroll to make sure I am above freezing than going to sleep for only an hour.

The game used to wake you up if you became freezing while asleep. I think I read something about it being disabled for Stalker and Interloper, though.

I haven't played Voyageur for so long that I have no idea if it works on that mode, but I know for sure that it doesn't work in Interloper no matter how warm you 'feel' before you go to sleep. I died quite recently sleeping in a car, despite having lit a fire next to it and getting the temperature inside nice and toasty before turning in. Wind got up in the night, blew out the fire and I froze to death without waking (or, at least, that's what I assumed must have happened, because I went to bed warm with a long-lasting fire, and still ended up dead).

I'm not sure how I feel about it, really. I think you should be able to die in your sleep from cold if you're not careful. But it does come as a bit of a shock when it happens. To be honest, I'd like to see sleep in the game changed in other ways, such as not even allowing you to choose how long to sleep for, especially if you're really tired beforehand.

17 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I'd like to see sleep in the game changed in other ways, such as not even allowing you to choose how long to sleep for, especially if you're really tired beforehand.

+1 for this idea, which would actually tie in nicely with waking up unexpectedly due to cold and other ailments that affect you physically.

I think if done well, waking up freezing could be punishing in its own way. Wake me up already freezing, and after I've lost 50% condition or whatever. Then if I'm not prepared (no fuel, matches, light source, better clothes) I could still die of freezing. That would be a rush for the player, and more 'realistic' as you would wake up when really cold.

10 minutes ago, GorillaDust said:

+1 for this idea, which would actually tie in nicely with waking up unexpectedly due to cold and other ailments that affect you physically.

I think if done well, waking up freezing could be punishing in its own way. Wake me up already freezing, and after I've lost 50% condition or whatever. Then if I'm not prepared (no fuel, matches, light source, better clothes) I could still die of freezing. That would be a rush for the player, and more 'realistic' to reality which would wake you up when you're really cold.

+ 1

2 hours ago, GorillaDust said:

I think if done well, waking up freezing could be punishing in its own way. Wake me up already freezing, and after I've lost 50% condition or whatever. Then if I'm not prepared (no fuel, matches, light source, better clothes) I could still die of freezing. That would be a rush for the player, and more 'realistic' as you would wake up when really cold.

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

I'm not sure how I feel about it, really. I think you should be able to die in your sleep from cold if you're not careful. But it does come as a bit of a shock when it happens. To be honest, I'd like to see sleep in the game changed in other ways, such as not even allowing you to choose how long to sleep for, especially if you're really tired beforehand.

Both excellent ideas :)

Archived