Post all your bad suggestions here!

Captain Obvious

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An opposite-sex NPC who you can find and then rebuild humanity with your children (if you die you get to control one of your offspring).

ability to play as a crow.

ability to play as a rosehip bush.

golf mini-game.

a certain rare type of mushroom that makes you grow to twice your normal size and allows you to kill bears if you can succeed in jumping on their head.

rocket jumping (but with a rifle).

invisibility cloak.

character classes like "knife-fighter" or "professional archer" that give certain ability buffs.

ability to hypnotise animals.

craftable trebuchet.

improvised hang-gliders from sticks and hides.

thermal imaging goggles.

flame throwers.

medieval battle-axes.

spears.

4 hours ago, Pillock said:

An opposite-sex NPC who you can find and then rebuild humanity with your children (if you die you get to control one of your offspring).

ability to play as a crow.

ability to play as a rosehip bush.

golf mini-game.

a certain rare type of mushroom that makes you grow to twice your normal size and allows you to kill bears if you can succeed in jumping on their head.

rocket jumping (but with a rifle).

invisibility cloak.

character classes like "knife-fighter" or "professional archer" that give certain ability buffs.

ability to hypnotise animals.

craftable trebuchet.

improvised hang-gliders from sticks and hides.

thermal imaging goggles.

flame throwers.

medieval battle-axes.

spears.

Well, so much for my spear and axe throwing trebuchet ;) 

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting the thread for more silly BS.  Today we'll discuss a new selectable mode, delivered in an update publicly called Deliberate Ranger, but internally code-named "Obnoxious Realism".  :)

• Whetstones now come in two types: Coarse and Fine.  Coarse may be used on tools from 0-70% condition, while Fine may be used on tools from 71-99% condition.
  • You spawn with a half-liter Steel Canteen that weighs 0.5kg.  It allows you to melt and boil up to 0.5L of water at a time.  If you want to boil more in one go, you need to find the metal pans (1kg, boils 1L) or Iron Pots (2kg, boils 2L), that usually spawn in kitchens.
  • Firewood carried on your person through a blizzard now gets wet the same way clothes do, and can't be used for a fire until dried.  Likewise, firewood harvested outdoors has a chance of being wet and must be dried inside for a few hours.
  • Your initial carry weight is reduced to 20kg, because you don't start with a backpack.  You must find one out in the world in order to restore the normal 30kg carry weight.
  • Stumps now have a 10% chance of spawning dangerous mushrooms that look like Reishi, but are a slightly different color.  Drinking the Reishi tea this makes immediately gives you food poisoning.  If you already had food poisoning, it resets any progress made on curing it (requiring another dose of antibiotics or actual reishi, plus the hours of sleep required are reset to 10).
  • The heat fires give off now decays as the fire burns down.  No more 30+ degree embers.
  • All interior caves now have a 1% chance, rolled daily, to spawn a wolf or bear.
  • Carrying a heavy load makes you noisier and increases the wolf aggro range, using the 'scent' mechanic while you're moving.
  • Cloth is now divided into Wool Cloth and Cotton Cloth, and many pieces of clothing will require one or the other for repairs.
  • Animal skins that are harvested now require an extra step to Flesh them, which takes an hour, before they will begin curing.
  • You can now pull pictures off of walls and hang them up elsewhere, but due to time constraints this can only be done with the "Heart Pancake" picture.

Edit: Boiling water should result in a 10% loss in volume due to evaporation.  How did I miss that?

Double Edit: All soda and bottled water found in the world should be frozen at first, requiring thawing by a fire (same time and sound effect as melting snow)

(Full disclosure: I'd probably play this mode.  But there's no way in hell that it would go over well if forced onto the general population.)

6 hours ago, ArmagedDan said:

Resurrecting the thread for more silly BS.  Today we'll discuss a new selectable mode, delivered in an update publicly called Deliberate Ranger, but internally code-named "Obnoxious Realism".  :)

• Whetstones now come in two types: Coarse and Fine.  Coarse may be used on tools from 0-70% condition, while Fine may be used on tools from 71-99% condition.
  • You spawn with a half-liter Steel Canteen that weighs 0.5kg.  It allows you to melt and boil up to 0.5L of water at a time.  If you want to boil more in one go, you need to find the metal pans (1kg, boils 1L) or Iron Pots (2kg, boils 2L), that usually spawn in kitchens.
  • Firewood carried on your person through a blizzard now gets wet the same way clothes do, and can't be used for a fire until dried.  Likewise, firewood harvested outdoors has a chance of being wet and must be dried inside for a few hours.
  • Your initial carry weight is reduced to 20kg, because you don't start with a backpack.  You must find one out in the world in order to restore the normal 30kg carry weight.
  • Stumps now have a 10% chance of spawning dangerous mushrooms that look like Reishi, but are a slightly different color.  Drinking the Reishi tea this makes immediately gives you food poisoning.  If you already had food poisoning, it resets any progress made on curing it (requiring another dose of antibiotics or actual reishi, plus the hours of sleep required are reset to 10).
  • The heat fires give off now decays as the fire burns down.  No more 30+ degree embers.
  • All interior caves now have a 1% chance, rolled daily, to spawn a wolf or bear.
  • Carrying a heavy load makes you noisier and increases the wolf aggro range, using the 'scent' mechanic while you're moving.
  • Cloth is now divided into Wool Cloth and Cotton Cloth, and many pieces of clothing will require one or the other for repairs.
  • Animal skins that are harvested now require an extra step to Flesh them, which takes an hour, before they will begin curing.
  • You can now pull pictures off of walls and hang them up elsewhere, but due to time constraints this can only be done with the "Heart Pancake" picture.

(Full disclosure: I'd probably play this mode.  But there's no way in hell that it would go over well if forced onto the general population.)

Not one of your suggestions qualifies as "bad".

I'd play the hell out of this!

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Ditto! 

Except the mushrooms. That just seems arbitrary 

I am terrified of eating mushrooms in the wild.  Even living in a region where Laetiporus Sulphureus ("Chicken of the woods") grows, I don't trust myself to pick 'em even if I'm 99% sure I'm looking at fungus chickens.  Wasn't mushroom mis-identification a factor in the death of Chris McCandless (of Into The Wild fame)?

56 minutes ago, ArmagedDan said:

I am terrified of eating mushrooms in the wild.  Even living in a region where Laetiporus Sulphureus ("Chicken of the woods") grows, I don't trust myself to pick 'em even if I'm 99% sure I'm looking at fungus chickens.  Wasn't mushroom mis-identification a factor in the death of Chris McCandless (of Into The Wild fame)?

Ah, real life is much different! I also don't trust my mushroom picking skills. Way too much risk considering I can buy all I want from the grocery store. 

2 hours ago, ArmagedDan said:

Wasn't mushroom mis-identification a factor in the death of Chris McCandless (of Into The Wild fame)?

Don't think it was mushrooms, but yes, a plant mis-identification seems to have been the primary factor.

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 1:46 AM, ArmagedDan said:

Edit: Boiling water should result in a 10% loss in volume due to evaporation.  How did I miss that?

Double Edit: All soda and bottled water found in the world should be frozen at first, requiring thawing by a fire (same time and sound effect as melting snow)

The further I read the more deeply unhappy I became. 

Ahhh!  Uuhhaa?!  Eeeaaaaaahhh!! 

*confused  Screaming *

.... Add Shoelaces must be retied  at regular intervals with a 15% chance of coming undone calculated every hour and   2% chance of lace snapping. It will take 1.5 hours to craft new ones and only deer pelt can be used 

10% chance on any given day of having a headache. 

1 minute ago, Pillock said:

Has anyone suggested tooth decay yet?

Thats kinda funny, tooth decay is a real risk in a long term survival situation, thats why most swiss army knives come with a tooth pick. As silly as it sounds it would be interesting if we had a illnesses like this after 100+ days

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 9:01 PM, JAFO said:

Don't think it was mushrooms, but yes, a plant mis-identification seems to have been the primary factor.

I Wiki-ed it in case anyone cared...

McCandless' death in Into the Wild, found no toxic compounds, and there is not a single account in modern medical literature of anyone's being poisoned by this species of plant.[2] As Powers put it: "He didn't find a way out of the bush, couldn't catch enough food to survive, and simply starved to death".[20]

In 2013, a new hypothesis was proposed. Ronald Hamilton, a retired bookbinder at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania,[5]suggested a link between the symptoms described by McCandless and the poisoning of Jewish prisoners in the Nazi concentration camp in Vapniarca. He put forward the proposal that McCandless starved to death because he was suffering from paralysis in his legs induced by lathyrism, which prevented him from gathering food or hiking out.[21] Lathyrism may be caused by ODAPpoisoning from seeds of Hedysarum alpinum(commonly called wild potato). The ODAP, a toxic amino acid, had not been detected by the previous studies of the seeds because they had suspected a toxic alkaloid, rather than an amino acid, and nobody had previously suspected that Hedysarum alpinumseeds contained this toxin. The protein would be relatively harmless to someone who is well-fed and on a normal diet, but toxic to someone who is malnourished, physically stressed, and on an irregular and insufficient diet, as McCandless was.[22] As Krakauer points out, McCandless' field guide did not warn of any dangers of eating the seeds, which were not yet known to be toxic. Krakauer suspects this is the meaning of McCandless' journal entry of July 30, which states "EXTREMELY WEAK. FAULT OF POT[ATO] SEED. MUCH TROUBLE JUST TO STAND UP. STARVING. GREAT JEOPARDY."[23]

In September 2013, Krakauer published an article in The New Yorker following up the claims of Ronald Hamilton.[5] A sample of Hedysarum alpinum's fresh seeds were sent to a laboratory for HPLC analysis. Results suggest that the seeds contained 0.394% beta-ODAP by weight, a concentration well within the levels known to cause lathyrism in humans, although the interpretation of the results was disputed by other chemists.[4] The article notes that while occasional ingestion of foodstuffs containing ODAP is not hazardous for healthy individuals eating a balanced diet, "individuals suffering from malnutrition, stress, and acute hunger are especially sensitive to ODAP, and are thus highly susceptible to the incapacitating effects of lathyrism after ingesting the neurotoxin".[5]

Anchorage, Alaska, reporter Craig Medred pointed out in a January 2015 article[6] in theAlaska Dispatch News that mushrooms which McCandless collected, photographed,[24] and consumed may have also contributed to his death.

In February 2015, Krakauer published a follow up article in The New Yorker that reported on scientific analysis of the H. alpinum seeds McCandless ate. A report in Wilderness and Environmental Medicine[7] demonstrated relatively high levels of L-canavanine inHedysarum alpinum seeds and suggests this as the toxic component in McCandless' diet rather than ODAP as originally supposed by Ronald Hamilton. In his New Yorker article Krakauer goes on to speculate that L-canavanine "was a contributing factor to" McCandless' death.[25]

On 2017-02-27 at 5:59 PM, cekivi said:

All wolves are named dogmeat.

I was going to say that we should have a companion dog like Dogmeat, lol. So instead I'll say:

Besides Rose Hip, we can now also collect blueberries that have been effected by the anomaly and when eaten give us super vision. When you pop a vision blueberry all dangerous wildlife in your immediate vicinity glow bright blue.  (Blue Vision)

Just now, SnowWalker said:

I was going to say that we should have a companion dog like Dogmeat, lol. So instead I'll say:

Besides Rose Hip, we can now also collect blueberries that have been effected by the anomaly and when eaten give us super vision. When you pop a vision blueberry all dangerous wildlife in your immediate vicinity glow bright blue.

SaaaWeeet!

35 minutes ago, Renegade30 said:

Thanks that was very interesting

And no Problemo!

On 7/28/2017 at 1:42 AM, Thrasador said:

I Wiki-ed it in case anyone cared...

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that information.. it's been a while since I read the story. (you might think about changing the font colour of the quote, now the forums have been updated to a black background.. ;))

54 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that information.. it's been a while since I read the story. (you might think about changing the font colour of the quote, now the forums have been updated to a black background.. ;))

I fixed it, and I'll add it to my list of things I don't like about the forum changes...

2 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I fixed it, and I'll add it to my list of things I don't like about the forum changes...

I've never liked the contrast of white font on black. It's hard for me to read it properly, and I don't wear glasses. It does make sense for the game though, you know, since it's, dark.

• 3 weeks later...

Force the player to mine coal with his hands for an obscene number of R/L hours with the goal of powering a generator which will get a computer running that grey mother promised will hold all the answers you seek... upon firing that baby up, learn that the only software installed is a copy of Castle Wolfenstein... the DOS one... and its the shareware version...

She speaks to you in an arrogant tone as she rips the keyboard out of your frost bitten fingers , telling you that the lesson she wants you to take from this is compassion, patience and forgiveness...

Wolfenstein.png.fdbec445f07f414d766afd0a89330f53.png

1 hour ago, Nyarlathotep said:

Force the player to mine coal with his hands for an obscene number of R/L hours with the goal of powering a generator which will get a computer running that grey mother promised will hold all the answers you seek... upon firing that baby up, learn that the only software installed is a copy of Castle Wolfenstein... the DOS one... and its the shareware version...

She speaks to you in an arrogant tone as she rips the keyboard out of your frost bitten fingers , telling you that the lesson she wants you to take from this is compassion, patience and forgiveness...

Wolfenstein.png.fdbec445f07f414d766afd0a89330f53.png

OMG that was present on my first 486, when I was 15.....

• 1 month later...

Archived