The Rabbit and the Cold

SpoonyMass

Hello guys and gals!  SpoonyMass here..., 

So I'm getting back into The Long Dark.  It's been quite the break from it.  New episodes start this week (Thursday March 2nd @12/1PM on SpoonyMass).  But, you know, shameless promotion out of the way, let's get to the reason for my post.  

Recent in my endeavours to survive I caught a bunny in a snare.  With consideration that I had never done this before in game (or in real life and absolutely not without the lack of trying), I was excited in absolute.  But then my thinking kicked in and I realized that I had a pair of running shoes, some ripped up pants and a even more torn sweatshirt on my person not to mention I would have to skin this kill with a hatchet; which, true to actual reality, isn't the easiest of task to undertake.  I was already cold, almost frozen and I could only go for the meaty goodness before having to settle near a fire to warm up.

Got me thinking...,

Small game should be something that one could pick up and take back to base.  I'm sure it'd add some considerable weight; moreover, the wolves would probably be on your scent more than they actually are.  But I think it still should be an option.  

Seriously though, this game is top.  I love the layer system and I like the fact that I run faster with my clothes off now (I have this nasty habit of going all Liam Neeson on a wolf or two).   

totally agree, you should be able to take a rabbit back to base. It's also worth mentioning that you can easily skin a rabbit with your bare hands. The hide is delicate and tears easily, and it can be pulled off the rabbit by hand like a banana.

43 minutes ago, IanS said:

totally agree, you should be able to take a rabbit back to base. It's also worth mentioning that you can easily skin a rabbit with your bare hands. The hide is delicate and tears easily, and it can be pulled off the rabbit by hand like a banana.

Good point, though I suspect frozen rabbits aren't as easy, and most snared rabbits will be rabbitsicles when you find them..  But all the more reason to take it back to your cozy camp to thaw out :)

OP, with regards to wolves smelling you more, I would think they would smell you less with a whole rabbit instead of a bloody skinned carcass...

6 hours ago, toebar said:

Good point, though I suspect frozen rabbits aren't as easy, and most snared rabbits will be rabbitsicles when you find them..  But all the more reason to take it back to your cozy camp to thaw out :)

OP, with regards to wolves smelling you more, I would think they would smell you less with a whole rabbit instead of a bloody skinned carcass...

Great points! Seasons are on the roadmap, so at least our bunnies won't always be frozen.

I agree that Rabbit Carcasses should be moveable, I mean its a rabbit.  An average person should be able to carry several, just add weight to your already overburdened character.  I would prefer to move the rabbit close to camp / fire to avoid freezing to death while harvesting all its goodness.

And since this was a thread I was looking for, before I started my own.  I'd like to add the possibility of moving Deer Carcasses as well.  But to keep it realistic, Mountaineering rope should be needed to do this, to drag it to camp / fire or wherever.  Just think, Mountaineering rope would actually have a 2nd purpose to the game, and folks would want to haul that heavy, useless, back breaking piece of equipment around.

And since its going to come up, Please that bear weighs twice if not 3 times as much as you do!!

lol, not a shameless promotion or anything BUT..., this is the episode of which spawned the idea in my brain.

On 3/4/2017 at 5:52 AM, Tarflink said:

And since this was a thread I was looking for, before I started my own.  I'd like to add the possibility of moving Deer Carcasses as well.  But to keep it realistic, Mountaineering rope should be needed to do this, to drag it to camp / fire or wherever.  Just think, Mountaineering rope would actually have a 2nd purpose to the game, and folks would want to haul that heavy, useless, back breaking piece of equipment around.

I like the idea.  But I can't tell you how harrowingly beautiful it is to set up a campfire next to a dead deer in the middle of a blizzard with crap nothing to wear and just a handful of sticks.  Happened to me at the Derailment at Mystery Lake and it was just a great moment.  I was just too damn determined to eat that deer.  

Also I've found Mountaineering Rope, but I'm unclear it's use..., is there a use?  (I am like deliberately ignorant when it comes to other areas outside of Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley) 

38 minutes ago, SpoonyMass said:

lol, not a shameless promotion or anything BUT..., this is the episode of which spawned the idea in my brain.

I like the idea.  But I can't tell you how harrowingly beautiful it is to set up a campfire next to a dead deer in the middle of a blizzard with crap nothing to wear and just a handful of sticks.  Happened to me at the Derailment at Mystery Lake and it was just a great moment.  I was just too damn determined to eat that deer.  

Also I've found Mountaineering Rope, but I'm unclear it's use..., is there a use?  (I am like deliberately ignorant when it comes to other areas outside of Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley) 

keep looking, you'll find the use. :)   (Or someone here will tell you, or you could look it up.  I recommend just discovering it yourself ;) )

1 hour ago, SpoonyMass said:

Oh the mystery..., you delicious thing you :D

There are uses for the mountaineering rope in Mystery Lake, the Ravine, and the Coastal Highway. See below for spoilers!

Mild spoiler

Keep an eye out for odd shaped rocks

Medium spoiler

The rocks will always be near cliffs

Big spoiler

There is a location to use a climbing rope at the forest lookout. It gives you an alternate route to get to and from the lookout

HUGE spoiler (seriously, don't read @SpoonyMass) ;)

In the ravine there was a rock slide that destroyed the rail line. If you've been using the Ravine to traverse between Mystery Lake and the Coastal Highway then you're familiar with the log over the gap. Near that log on the Mystery Lake side is a spot to anchor a climbing rope so you can descend into the ravine to loot the locomotive that got swept off the tracks. Just be warned that it takes a lot of energy to climb back up that rope! Pack light and bring a bedroll and coffee!

Archived